Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 09:26 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,518,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the 7 oh 4 View Post
You can't stop growth in any city.

Would local Asheville residents had rather a housing project went on the side of the mountain. I would rather look at nature to but at this point that is not an option. You have to go with the times. Nothing you or anyone can do about it.

My aunt & uncle have lived in Asheville their whole life and moved from Biltmore Forest to Reynolds Mountain and LOVE IT! They are born and bred Ashevillians and don't view Reynolds Mountain as a bad thing. They get alot of flap from locals though.

Can't we all just get along?
You, and apparently your aunt & uncle, just don't get it, they stand on their deck and they have what I am sure is a specular view, and say "how could anyone object to such beauty" but they are totally blind to the butt ugly scars and McMansions on the side of the mountain.

Is it their arrogance that ONLY their view counts, or is their nativity that causes their blindness to the fact that RM has been transformed from a beautiful mountain to a scalped and scared hill pockmarked with oversized McMansions?

Old 01-16-2008, 08:12 AM

5 posts, read 17,089 times
That was perfectly said Asheville Native! ITA!!!!!

Old 01-16-2008, 08:30 AM

2,560 posts, read 8,550,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
You, and apparently your aunt & uncle, just don't get it, they stand on their deck and they have what I am sure is a specular view, and say "how could anyone object to such beauty" but they are totally blind to the butt ugly scars and McMansions on the side of the mountain.

Is it their arrogance that ONLY their view counts, or is their nativity that causes their blindness to the fact that RM has been transformed from a beautiful mountain to a scalped and scared hill pockmarked with oversized McMansions?
My aunt & uncle are not arrogant. They are 1000% Christians and my aunt has worked in a local church for 40 years as minister of music and other areas of the church (not gonna say which one). They are just professionals that have been financially blessed thru their jobs and real estate investments.

Is it there fault they have been successful. They are VERY VERY good people and do alot of work in the community as well. They just bought a nice home in a nice neighborhood. Don't fault them or point fingers.

There are many many many wealthy people here in Charlotte that live in mansions that was once on beautiful rolling farmlands and was on vacant lakefronts (Lake Norman, Lake Wylie & Mountain Island Lake). Is that ugly. NO!

Go with the times. I bet if you lived on Reynolds Mountain you would have a different opinon.

This is not the 1st project on the side of a mountain and will not be the last. Try to have an open mind. Judge yee not.

They are not transplants. Both born and raised in Buncombe County. Don't they at least get some credit for that?

Old 01-16-2008, 11:19 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Quote:
My aunt & uncle are not arrogant. They are 1000% Christians and my aunt has worked in a local church for 40 years as minister of music and other areas of the church (not gonna say which one). They are just professionals that have been financially blessed thru their jobs and real estate investments.

Is it there fault they have been successful. They are VERY VERY good people and do alot of work in the community as well. They just bought a nice home in a nice neighborhood. Don't fault them or point fingers.

There are many many many wealthy people here in Charlotte that live in mansions that was once on beautiful rolling farmlands and was on vacant lakefronts (Lake Norman, Lake Wylie & Mountain Island Lake). Is that ugly. NO!

Go with the times. I bet if you lived on Reynolds Mountain you would have a different opinon.

This is not the 1st project on the side of a mountain and will not be the last. Try to have an open mind. Judge yee not.

They are not transplants. Both born and raised in Buncombe County. Don't they at least get some credit for that?
Sorry, 7 oh 4, but your defenses aren't going to change any of our minds. I am not even a resident of Asheville and I find that development to be an offensive eyesore that destroyed a gorgeous piece of nature. I have nothing against successful people buying a dream home, or even homes on mountains as long as they blend in and haven't had all the vegetation scraped off. Out in Santa Fe there are strict rules on how and what they can build on their mountains - the homes must not be visible from a distance and CANNOT BE ON THE RIDGETOPS. It is a crying shame Asheville has not put restrictions like this in place! Let's hope they wake up before too long, or this whole beautiful region could be destroyed for good!

Old 01-16-2008, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Sorry, 7 oh 4, but your defenses aren't going to change any of our minds. I am not even a resident of Asheville and I find that development to be an offensive eyesore that destroyed a gorgeous piece of nature. I have nothing against successful people buying a dream home, or even homes on mountains as long as they blend in and haven't had all the vegetation scraped off. Out in Santa Fe there are strict rules on how and what they can build on their mountains - the homes must not be visible from a distance and CANNOT BE ON THE RIDGETOPS. It is a crying shame Asheville has not put restrictions like this in place! Let's hope they wake up before too long, or this whole beautiful region could be destroyed for good!
I understand where you are coming from. Not trying to change your mind. If you lived in RM you would think differntly.

We have gone thru this 20 years ago here in Charlotte.

What use to be beautiful lakefront now has 1,000's of homes on it. What use to be rural rolling farmland is now 100's of neighborhoods.

NO we don't have mountain views, but it is what it is.

You guys act like people who live in RM are bad just because they bought a house there. Is it there fault, NO! Blame the builders and developers.

Make it a WONDERFUL day!

Last edited by the 7 oh 4; 01-16-2008 at 12:50 PM..

Old 01-16-2008, 12:53 PM

I am sure that Asheville has much more important issues to worry about than a BEAUTIFUL upscale neighborhood on the side of a mountain.

Crime, drugs, murders just to name a few.

Why don't you guys focus on more important issues than people just trying to retire in a nice neighborhood where home values will soar!

Old 01-16-2008, 04:22 PM

23 posts, read 55,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribe48 View Post
RM is beautiful and the village will bring much needed economic development, more affordable housing and a tremendous green space. The so-called open minded 'natives' only like the development that fits within their narrow view of the world. They will complain about both development and lack of opportunity; consistently pointing toward those who have worked hard and want to enjoy a nice area like RM. I too know folks who live their; they love the area; work hard at preserving the beauty of the asheville area; support local businesses and actually are nice people; this will come as a shock to 'asheville native'.

Here's hoping you won't be discouraged by narrow minded people to turn away from RM (disclosure: I did so I have no vested interest); I've learned that they do NOT represent the majority of asheville residents/natives; just a bitter minority who are very short sighted.

we never need the growth here to survivee. ANd if people were so narrow minded and ignorant why did you move here??? also digging up an entire mountain for the few "privildged" few who really are not as rich as they think they are is not "green space" it was green before the houses where there. being really rich and living on a real "estate" does not include having neighbors within the same teritorial boundary. really rich folk live all alone on one piece of land with one family(extended or not) .. what you people are doing moving here is taking land from people who know how to work it and love it and bring good stuff to life and giving it to foreiners who know not the first thing about respecting the land or their neighbors.

the whole reason people act ignorant to you is because you don't belong or fit in here. Moderator cut: removed

Last edited by autumngal; 01-22-2008 at 08:00 PM..

Old 01-16-2008, 04:24 PM

23 posts, read 55,758 times
Quote:
I am sure that Asheville has much more important issues to worry about than a BEAUTIFUL upscale neighborhood on the side of a mountain.

Crime, drugs, murders just to name a few.

Why don't you guys focus on more important issues than people just trying to retire in a nice neighborhood where home values will soar!
we don't whant values to soar a housee is a home a place to live , enjoy life, and eventually die in . NOT AN INVESTMENT Moderator cut: removed

Last edited by autumngal; 01-22-2008 at 07:54 PM..

Old 01-16-2008, 04:42 PM

366 posts, read 1,016,542 times
Quote:
I understand where you are coming from. Not trying to change your mind. If you lived in RM you would think differntly.

We have gone thru this 20 years ago here in Charlotte.

What use to be beautiful lakefront now has 1,000's of homes on it. What use to be rural rolling farmland is now 100's of neighborhoods.

NO we don't have mountain views, but it is what it is.

You guys act like people who live in RM are bad just because they bought a house there. Is it there fault, NO! Blame the builders and developers.

Make it a WONDERFUL day!
I don't think they're bad people, but they do share a part of the blame. By purchasing a lot and house there they are to some degree supporting IRRESPONSIBLE DEVELOPMENT AND DEVELOPERS. Granted many of the residents didn't know everything regarding steep slope ordinances and other issues but ignorance isn't a 100% excuse. Reynolds Mountain wouldn't be an issue if it was developed responsibly, but disregarding steep slope ordinaces and also clear cutting the ridgetop in the manner it was done is NOT responible, and buy purchasing a new home there you in effect support that to some degree. Again, not saying anyone is a bad person, just that the blame goes beyond the builders and developers (I blame city/county officials also).

Old 01-16-2008, 09:58 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,518,209 times
Quote:
I
Those on RM are the enablers as there would be no RM, if not for the arrogant rich that really don't give a damn about how ugly their McMansion on a scalped and scared mountain is. These developers would have very quickly gone bankrupt except for those that enable them, your aunt/uncle and all their neighbors.

You can't say you love nature and it beauty while sitting on a former beautiful wooded mountain that has been destroyed so you can have a view, a very selfish display of arrogance
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina