Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 08:18 PM

1 posts, read 5,827 times

Advertisements

Hi All- Just wondering what the general feeling is about the Reynolds Mountain area and the new expansion plans? Are any prices going down at all? Is Weaverville a better option and if so where in Weaverville besides Rheems Creek?

Old 01-04-2008, 12:37 PM

648 posts, read 2,980,553 times
There's still quite a bit of disdain for Reynolds Mountain due to its visibility. An entire mountain visible from downtown was pretty much clear cut, and everyone could see it. Ashevillians love our views, and we preferred the pristine mountain to what we have to look at now...

Now that that's out of the way, Woodfin is banking on the Reynolds Mountain expansion to re-make the town's image. They were kind of left behind the prosperity of Asheville and Weaverville- the location of the landfill, the industrial/warehouse operations along the river and the lower income housing that accompanied it. The developer is pouring money into his vision; it's a nicely done master plan. But natives are sour over the perceived haves/have nots as well as environmental degradation.

I'd encourage you to look west of I-26 in Weaverville, near New Stock as well as Hwy 23/70 exits. Nice newer homes with larger lots and good interstate access.

Old 01-04-2008, 10:00 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,529,007 times
The butt ugly monument to the arrogant rich that can be seen from many parts of the surrounding area.

Old 01-05-2008, 07:18 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
The butt ugly monument to the arrogant rich that can be seen from many parts of the surrounding area.
You got that right - the sight of that thing is downright horrific.

Old 01-07-2008, 11:32 AM

116 posts, read 446,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by powell1224 View Post
Hi All- Just wondering what the general feeling is about the Reynolds Mountain area and the new expansion plans? Are any prices going down at all? Is Weaverville a better option and if so where in Weaverville besides Rheems Creek?
In case you have not gathered by the other posts, Reynolds Mountain does not have the best reputation for beauty or the attitude of its residence. We know lots of nice folks who live in Weaverville and love it. We also had a hard time finding where to look, but would encourage you to get a local Weaverville Realtor to help you.
Best Wishes
Duke101

Old 01-07-2008, 12:23 PM

2,560 posts, read 8,554,005 times
My aunt & uncle live in Reynolds Mountain and love it. They lived for years in Biltmore Forest but wanted something new!

They are both born and raised in Asheville and don't feel about Reynolds Mountain like most natives do. Some negative comments are out of jealousy, others cause they don't like the way the mountian looks!

Keep an open mind and buy where you will enjoy!

Old 01-07-2008, 12:30 PM

116 posts, read 446,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the 7 oh 4 View Post
My aunt & uncle live in Reynolds Mountain and love it. They lived for years in Biltmore Forest but wanted something new!

They are both born and raised in Asheville and don't feel about Reynolds Mountain like most natives do. Some negative comments are out of jealousy, others cause they don't like the way the mountian looks!

Good point, we know some lovely people who live there as well.
Duke101

Old 01-07-2008, 08:37 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,529,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the 7 oh 4 View Post

Well yes, they don't have to look at the ugly gashes with McMansions stuck all over what was a heavily wooded mountain side. They can't see the ugly, cause they are standing on it.

And why is this part of the country so desirable, well of course our beautiful mountains, so yea watching our mountains carved up by the rich and elite so they can stick their McMansions on them does raise a bit of ire of those that appreciate the natural beauty of the area. Envy, noway, more like pity for those that are so removed from natural beauty that they destroy it and believe it is a "good thing". And who do they have for neighbors? Like minded people, no thanks, that is not a neighborhood by any stretch of the imagination.

Old 01-10-2008, 04:40 PM

11 posts, read 73,469 times
RM is beautiful and the village will bring much needed economic development, more affordable housing and a tremendous green space. The so-called open minded 'natives' only like the development that fits within their narrow view of the world. They will complain about both development and lack of opportunity; consistently pointing toward those who have worked hard and want to enjoy a nice area like RM. I too know folks who live their; they love the area; work hard at preserving the beauty of the asheville area; support local businesses and actually are nice people; this will come as a shock to 'asheville native'.

Here's hoping you won't be discouraged by narrow minded people to turn away from RM (disclosure: I did so I have no vested interest); I've learned that they do NOT represent the majority of asheville residents/natives; just a bitter minority who are very short sighted.

Old 01-10-2008, 09:33 PM

1 posts, read 5,538 times
Reynolds Mountain is a beautiful place to live. Some natives are mad out of jealousy because of the wealth that is moving into that area, it makes it hard for natives who aren't financially in that position to live there and they are forced out. This is America, it happens all over.

People are mad about seeing McMansions instead of beautiful trees, but from the McMansions point of view, it is the view. With there plans of development they will bring much good to the area. We lack recreational activities and Reynolds Mountain is bringing that to the community. I do not live on Reynolds Mountain, have many friends that do - very nice people. There homes and views are beautiful. I live minutes from RM and have been in the area since 2000.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina