Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 10:41 AM

1 posts, read 7,171 times

Advertisements

I was going 72 in a 55 and the trooper suggested I take a Defensive Driving Course at Caldwell CC, that might help reduce the points. I haven't had any traffic citations since the 1980's not even parking tickets. He said I must report to court July 26th. We moved to North Carolina in March 2012 from Michigan so I'm not familiar with the rules.. I called Caldwell and they said to take the course from them at their campus, 90 minutes from my house. Do I hire a lawyer, sign off with the DA the morning of the court date and ask for a reduction, take the course(does it really help reduce the points?), or what else can I do?
Please help me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2012, 01:53 PM

4,788 posts, read 10,602,776 times
My opin is to hire a very 'local' attorney: they know the local judge(s), they can generally predict the 'knockdown'/reduced charge, etc. Couple hundred bucks, but worth it, imo. And worth at least talking to a local lawyer about your case/tix/situ; he/she will know the ropes and options...
GL, mD

Old 06-13-2012, 03:52 PM

679 posts, read 1,460,716 times
If I remember right, the law in NC gets painful when you hit 15mph over the speed limit, regardless of your past record. That may explain the need to appear in court instead of simply sending in the fine.

It doesn't hurt to ask a local lawyer for their advice. In most states, the defensive/safe driving course does reduce the points and often keeps them from reporting what is left to the insurance company. The insurance company can still find out if they initiate a check, but most won't without some reason.

One more piece of advice: slow down. Speeding tickets are an easy source of revenue. Right now, every government everywhere is looking for an easy source of revenue.

Old 06-14-2012, 12:32 AM

606 posts, read 1,977,287 times
The Highway Patrol Troop in our region is Troop F, or as I prefer to call them, F Troop. (Older people will know why!) I have had recent experience with them, both good and bad, if getting a ticket can be good. One trooper said he clocked me at 85 in a 55 but he would be nice and knock it down to 65 in a 55. Problem was, I wasn't speeding at all!! I fought it and won. Representing myself, I explained to the judge that there was no way he could have seen me from where he was.

That said, I have gotten several speeding tickets that I did deserve. Go to court at 9:30, if you have money, wait for them to call your name (or sometimes they cue you up in a line), go to the acting DA and explain that you just weren't paying attention and plea it down to 10 over. You'll pay fines and court costs but will have no points.

Another option is to pay an attorney (not cheap) to do the same thing for you. Or, you can ask for a court appointed atty. Option 1 is your best bet. If the DA won't deal, plead not guilty, and wait for the judge to try your case. It could happen the same day if it's not too busy. Then explain to the judge (momentary lapse, no tickets since 1980's, etc.) and plea it down. He may even throw it out, but you still have to pay court costs.

Forget driving school, IMO, it won't help you with points.

Good luck!
Tracey

Old 06-15-2012, 07:39 AM

1,094 posts, read 2,968,861 times
There is a campus of Caldwell Community in Boone - you don't need to drive to Hudson. One of my friends just went through this, and what I would do is show up for court, tell them you've not had a ticket in forever, and ask if they have any suggestions - mention you heard something about driving school. You'll be meeting with the DA on your court date, so at that point, ask if going to school will take the place of points - which I believe it does. They will give you a continuance and give you a chance to review the information they've given you and time to make an informed decision about what you want to do.

In a lot of WNC counties you have to show up for court regardless of what the ticket was for. However, in Watauga County if you decide to pay the ticket, you can do so before your court date and not have to go. Just make sure you keep the receipts for a very loooong time. I got an expired inspection sticker ticket in 2009, two actually over a weekend, they had different court dates - I went to the first date, already had everything in order - made sure to tell them about the other court date - DA assured me it would be taken care of, that I didn't have to come back. Well, lo and behold just a few weeks ago ( 3 years later) I got stopped for driving my father's car - it had out of state tags ( that was their reason, not mine) and they ran my license since the car was registered to them. Turns out the DA did NOT take care of the second date and I was actually arrested for a failure to appear. SOOOOOO be careful and always show up when in doubt.

Old 01-07-2015, 06:37 PM

1 posts, read 4,520 times
I received a icket in Gates County NC, I was going 21 miles over. I'm afraid, because the trooper told me to get a lawyer...does that mean something really bad or should I get a lawyer to defend me. I'm a little scared.

Old 01-09-2015, 12:48 PM

376 posts, read 499,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlp2006 View Post
I received a icket in Gates County NC, I was going 21 miles over. I'm afraid, because the trooper told me to get a lawyer...does that mean something really bad or should I get a lawyer to defend me. I'm a little scared.
Lol, you're not gonna go to jail or anything but for 21 over you should get a lawyer.

I believe getting convicted for 15+ over is grounds for immediate license suspension. Thats probably what he meant.

If you get a lawyer for like $200 then you'll be 100% fine.

Old 01-09-2015, 05:50 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,525,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlp2006 View Post
Since Gates County is in northeastern NC, several hundred miles from Watauga County, I'm not sure why you used this thread for posting. You might try the Coastal NC sub-forum for someone who might have specific knowledge of your area of NC. Good luck.

Old 05-26-2015, 09:47 AM

1 posts, read 3,613 times
Default Speeding Ticket-Need Assistance

Hello everyone. Sadly I was caught over speeding at 85mph in a 55mph zone in watauga county. I am not sure what to do now. Should I get a lawyer? and if so, who would be best?
And Do i have to take the driving lessons as well to reduce points?

Old 05-26-2015, 09:58 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,376,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajaraja View Post
Hello everyone. Sadly I was caught over speeding at 85mph in a 55mph zone in watauga county. I am not sure what to do now. Should I get a lawyer? and if so, who would be best?
And Do i have to take the driving lessons as well to reduce points?
Yes, you absolutely need to get a lawyer. He/she will no doubt advise you to complete a safe driving course and perhaps some community service prior to your court date.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina