Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2015, 08:44 AM

4,793 posts, read 10,625,569 times

Advertisements

drfranklin,

Depending upon what GPS gizmo in one's hand, we are at 4890 - 4920 feet.

A couple neighbors have the semi-pro consumer weather stations, but all I have is a simple rain gauge and a indoor/outdoor thermo, but I have checked both readings with my old Eastman Kodak technical thermometer; my set is close to nutz on. None of my neighbors are hooked into providing data to any commercial site. A neighbor down the mtn, around Laurel Ridge CC, is hooked into a rain/temp reporting deal through NC, but he lives at ~3200 feet, so he is usually much warmer, and his rainfall is often less than ours, fwiw.

A webcam site that is in our area, 5,000 ft and only a few miles away as the crow flies, with a cam view slightly more narrow than ours and looking more east, but the temps and data are very similar, over the years:
NPS: Explore Nature » Air Resources » Air Quality Webcams » Great Smoky Mountains NP, Purchase Knob Camera

From fading memory, about 40 ish in the overnight/early morning since Sept 2001, but we have dipped below 40 during summer storms, esp when the hail is pouring down on us. When the usual packs of out of state/out of area friends come by to stay with us, most are surprised at the common temps up 'here'. We have a closet full of spare sweat shirts, sweaters and windbreakers for complimentary use by our company.

Our main room and deck area do face east/south east, so solar gain is often quick and comforting on cooler/cold days; on cloud covered days or fogged in days, not so much.

Winters can be brutal up here, at times; we got the 5 Year Award for being here full time, but that was then.

Last winter, our good neighbors showed their outside temp readouts at -10 deg F for a few days with a 'high' of -1 or so during a couple days. And, they were housebound for a week plus, which we remember those kinds of days here in winter, too. Plowing the roads is done by a hired gun, but some of the north facing roads are tough even for his powerful yard rat 4WD truck, with chains and plow.

Last edited by motordavid; 06-28-2015 at 09:05 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2015, 09:30 AM

2,609 posts, read 2,301,322 times
I am not worried about winter. The new Ingles is just about walking distance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina