Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2015, 01:47 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,984,035 times

Advertisements

I'm in Macon County and, although it's a little muggy, the weather isn't too bad IMO, but I've been living in Southwest Florida for over 20 years. Guess it's all relative!

Last night I kept the windows open and slept with a lightweight blanket. The thermostat inside currently reads 74. If it reaches 80, I will close the windows and turn on the a/c. This time of year it's nice to take long walks after 8 for an hour. I wear jeans and long sleeves so I don't need to apply insect repellent, but the mosquitoes aren't really bad here (so far) compared to Florida. I was literally unable to walk to my car or take out the garbage without using DEET. I could even hear the swarms in a collective high pitched voice calling my name. (sort of like end of the 1958 movie The Fly, "help me, help me!" Except I was the one crying for help.

I think a lot has to do with elevation and shade. I am only staying in this particular unit on a creek for 5 days and moving back to the one I've been renting since March. It's in the same community, but a different setting. The homes are the same size, however, that villa gets a lot of sun, so I run the a/c more often. This one is surrounded by national forest land, so it's more private and I can open up the windows and run around naked. Anyway, I enjoy keeping the windows open, listening to the sounds of nature and using the ceiling fans.

In summary, I've traveled to many different areas and no place is perfect. I just spoke to a friend in SWFL and it's 91 there and 81 where I am, 82 in Asheville. It's 105 in Phoenix.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2015, 02:30 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,964,828 times
I'm in Lake Mary FL, its 85 degrees. *shrugs shoulders*

Old 06-20-2015, 03:02 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,602,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetSmarts View Post
Heat is kind of overblown in FL if you ask me. There are so many other places where it gets hot and even hotter. But everyone knows of FL or know someone who lives in FL, or wants to live in FL so it's used as an example much more often. Not many people care about the middle of SC, or the rural areas of middle-NC, or Southern GA, etc. So FL is always the example. Its probably the same temp here in my part of FL than it is in Columbia SC or Greenville SC today.

Yes, there are so many places where everything is different. But in this thread we are talking about the very recent high temps here in the Asheville area. The moderate comfortable year 'round weather is one of the reasons people have been flocking to the mountains for years. The FL example I stated is because evidently you are in FL. Comparisons to Greenville SC, Columbia SC Southern GA etc. is not what we are talking about.

Donna got great advice before moving here; a few 'off' days aren't going to deter her or the rest of us who love this place. There is NO perfect place.

Old 06-20-2015, 03:18 PM

Quote:
I'm in Lake Mary FL, its 85 degrees. *shrugs shoulders*

Crazy, isn't it? An afternoon rain shower can make a difference, dropping the temperature 5 or more degrees. Currently it is 87 in Port Charlotte, if Accuweather and the other weather sites are correct. You are about 190 miles north. In the winter there's even a greater change in temperature as you travel north on I-75, although I've been in Jacksonville when it's been close to 100.

Well, this isn't the FL forum, so I don't want to get my hands slapped. Back to WNC, I suppose the main topic on this forum is usually Asheville and I'm about 80 miles west in the Smoky Mountains.

Just checked and it is 71 in Boone, more than 10 degrees cooler. Oh, well. Weather is one thing that will always be unpredictable and ever-changing. At least it gives strangers who have little in common something to talk about!

Last edited by justNancy; 06-20-2015 at 03:23 PM.. Reason: add quote to which I was responding

Old 06-20-2015, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Heat is kind of overblown in FL if you ask me. There are so many other places where it gets hot and even hotter. But everyone knows of FL or know someone who lives in FL, or wants to live in FL so it's used as an example much more often. Not many people care about the middle of SC, or the rural areas of middle-NC, or Southern GA, etc. So FL is always the example. Its probably the same temp here in my part of FL than it is in Columbia SC or Greenville SC today.
Sorry, didn't see this comment. I wasn't passing judgment on FL. If I hated it so much I wouldn't have stayed for so long. I was only talking about my experience and comparing it to the weather in WNC, since that's what the topic is about, not putting down Florida.
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Yes, there are so many places where everything is different. But in this thread we are talking about the very recent high temps here in the Asheville area. The moderate comfortable year 'round weather is one of the reasons people have been flocking to the mountains for years. The FL example I stated is because evidently you are in FL. Comparisons to Greenville SC, Columbia SC Southern GA etc. is not what we are talking about.

Donna got great advice before moving here; a few 'off' days aren't going to deter her or the rest of us who love this place. There is NO perfect place.
Oops! I should stop reading threads backwards. You said exactly what I meant. I only mentioned FL because I am currently in Franklin NC and I was comparing it to the way I felt when I was in the SW Florida area. For the most part, I've enjoyed the weather here and in Lake Lure.

Old 06-20-2015, 04:27 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,430,893 times
Quote:

From what I've studied, 90's is not average here for June. If, every once in awhile we get an unusual week of near or low 90's, it is very unusual.
This is true. I've lived in the mountains since 2001 and the general tendency is NOT get many 90-degree days in June. Even here in North Georgia with an average elevation lower than Asheville, June is a transitional month that slowly heats up to full summer temperatures the closer you get to July.

I have felt it was hotter earlier this year, but sometimes you get a year like that. On the other hand, sometimes you get an exceptionally cooler summer like we did a couple of years ago. The good thing is that it's a shorter summer than anywhere else in the southeast! And it averages 5 degrees cooler than the flatter lands.

I have a friend who extolls the virtues of living in Nashville, but as soon as I saw the average temperatures, my eyes glazed over. Their winters are the same as the mountains so you don't gain any warmth, but their summers are five degrees hotter. I don't know about everyone else, but five degrees hotter is a lot for me!

No summers in Asheville won't be quite like living up north, but then I couldn't deal with how cold it gets up north. You just look for the best all-round weather and in the southeast, WNC or North Georgia is it.

Old 06-20-2015, 04:37 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,964,828 times
Quote:

I know but that sexactly what I'm saying.... its hot everywhere. I ont think Asheville is even that hot in the summer, nor did I claim its worse than other places. There's no getting around it, whether you're in FL, GA or SC. It's hot everywhere. I can compare to show how hot it is in other places as a means of an example. Nothing wrong with that.

Old 06-20-2015, 04:46 PM

2,627 posts, read 2,320,242 times
Today wasn't too bad. It is much less humid and there is a nice breeze. But tomorrow starts back into the 90's through Thursday. It is so nice when there is a breeze. It's the stillness in the air that makes it so darn hot.
Last week sitting out on my screened in porch was so uncomfortable, and I have a fan. The air just didn't move. I hope that we have a hot June and a cool July and August.

Old 06-20-2015, 05:23 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,602,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by organic_donna View Post
Today wasn't too bad. It is much less humid and there is a nice breeze. But tomorrow starts back into the 90's through Thursday. It is so nice when there is a breeze. It's the stillness in the air that makes it so darn hot.
Last week sitting out on my screened in porch was so uncomfortable, and I have a fan. The air just didn't move. I hope that we have a hot June and a cool July and August.

Donna, make sure the blades on your overhead fan are pushing the air downward. I made the mistake once in a new house of not knowing which way they are supposed to be. D'oh ! and they were set up to push the air upward. I'm still not sure which is which .... but the blades' position makes a difference. Last year I had better quality fans installed in every room and just relied on the installer to set them properly.

I really enjoy sitting out on the porch, but not when the air is sticky. I'm chicken, and dash back in to the a/c.

You know what they say about true Southern ladies don't you ? "They don't perspire, they glisten."

Old 06-20-2015, 06:04 PM

6,364 posts, read 11,634,456 times
Nancy, I was in the Smokies at "my" creek last week and it was pleasantly temperate, even at the parking slot up above the creek bed. This was at 1500' so it wasn't the elevation but the cool water/air from the higher elevations affecting the microclimate. But by August it seems you have to sit right by the creek for welcome relief.

I have noticed over the past several years it is quite common for the months to flip-flop. Since we have been experiencing typical July weather in June I will predict this July will be more temperate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina