Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2015, 05:37 PM

8,056 posts, read 10,653,334 times

Advertisements

I've been in Western Carolina for 18 years. Better get used to it. The summers absolutely suck here, EVERY summer. Internet research isn't everything. The heat and humidity is the price we pay for all this "green". Get used to living an air conditioned world every summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2015, 07:57 PM

8,105 posts, read 6,764,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveLoveLaugh View Post
50s by sat in the high country.....yay!!!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
I've been in Western Carolina for 18 years. Better get used to it. The summers absolutely suck here, EVERY summer. Internet research isn't everything. The heat and humidity is the price we pay for all this "green". Get used to living an air conditioned world every summer.
It could be worse, we could be in hell, er...I mean Florida.

Old 06-22-2015, 08:22 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,199,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
heh, thanks a lot.

It's like a blast furnace here and it's only June.

Old 06-22-2015, 08:41 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,957,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post

Not that I'm complaining, but where I am now (Macon County) it is 70F, 98% humidity and the dew point is 70. People usually forget to mention the dew point. When the temperature and dew points match, it means the air is completely saturated, since the dew point is always lower or equal to the temperature.

Still, I agree that 70 is a lot nicer than 85 (temp in Tampa at 10:00)

Old 06-22-2015, 10:08 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,418,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
Okay, so you find it hot every summer, but the rest of your post isn't logical.

Being "green" has nothing to do with heat and humidity. The northeast is green. The Pacific northwest is green. Lots of places are green without heat and humidity. So the heat and humidity is not some "price you pay" for green surroundings.

Old 06-23-2015, 06:21 AM

1,738 posts, read 2,578,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post

Being "green" has nothing to do with heat and humidity. The northeast is green. The Pacific northwest is green. Lots of places are green without heat and humidity. So the heat and humidity is not some "price you pay" for green surroundings.

The Pacific northwest is very humid. And the least humid cities are in the desert.

https://www.city-data.com/top2/c486.html
https://www.city-data.com/top2/c485.html

Old 06-23-2015, 07:19 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,359,656 times
The PNW may not be hot, but it is one of the most humid places in the country! Olympic National Park is a rainforest. It's just that most people aren't bothered by humidity until it gets hot. It is very humid in the NC mountains, too. That's why you've got all that green, green moss. The Northeast is humid, too.

Old 06-23-2015, 07:24 AM

2,609 posts, read 2,302,515 times
My number one criteria for finding a place to retire was cool summers. I crossed out any state that was known for hot and humid summers. All of my research said that Asheville had summer weather no hotter than 85 degrees.
I am here now, so I hope this heat is not typical. The weatherman today said it was not typical and many states were experiencing a heat wave.

Old 06-23-2015, 08:14 AM

497 posts, read 969,788 times
This coming weekend Portland, OR is expected to have temps over 90 for longer than the next 10 days, with the highest 101. If anyone wants summer in the East not over 85, then you have to move up the mountain, but then contend with colder winters and potential icy travel down to what you need. Ultimately, it is a compromise based on what characteristics are primary to the individual, that could include some summer days over 85. This too shall pass.

Old 06-23-2015, 11:09 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,418,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucctgg View Post
The Pacific northwest is very humid. And the least humid cities are in the desert.

https://www.city-data.com/top2/c486.html
https://www.city-data.com/top2/c485.html
Yes, but pairing "heat and humidity" together as a price we pay for green surroundings isn't correct.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina