Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 08:46 AM

168 posts, read 691,551 times

Advertisements

Last night, our car was broken into. Technically, it wasn't "broken" into, because we accidentally left our car unlocked (something that almost never happens)...but the punks went through our center console CD collection (boy, were they disappointed), our glove box, attempted to take our XM radio mount and took our Garmin GPS...and they did all of this with a dirty pair of socks over their hands so that they wouldn't leave fingerprints...they left said socks in our car. I am so mad right now, I could scream. Why can't people leave their hands off of stuff that doesn't belong to them? Police report filed, lesson learned.

Anyway, I wanted to make sure everyone was locking their car doors at night. We love this little community, but there are obviously people who live here that have no respect for others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2008, 09:08 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,531,593 times
Sadly if you had locked it, you might also have a smashed window to deal with.

Old 01-27-2008, 09:58 AM

You're probably right, Native...like I said, lesson learned. When we replace the Garmin, we'll take it in with us at night.

Old 01-27-2008, 10:31 AM

4,606 posts, read 7,690,072 times
aww, that stinks. So sorry .

Old 01-27-2008, 11:29 AM

5,660 posts, read 27,002,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a2zmom View Post
Last night, our car was broken into. Technically, it wasn't "broken" into, because we accidentally left our car unlocked (something that almost never happens)...but the punks went through our center console CD collection (boy, were they disappointed), our glove box, attempted to take our XM radio mount and took our Garmin GPS...and they did all of this with a dirty pair of socks over their hands so that they wouldn't leave fingerprints...they left said socks in our car. I am so mad right now, I could scream. Why can't people leave their hands off of stuff that doesn't belong to them? Police report filed, lesson learned.

Anyway, I wanted to make sure everyone was locking their car doors at night. We love this little community, but there are obviously people who live here that have no respect for others.
What part of town?

Old 01-27-2008, 11:52 AM

764 posts, read 1,598,052 times
Sounds like a couple of bored kids from your neighborhood who happened to jiggle your car's handle to see if was open. Walla, it was and there you have an crime of opportunity.

Not sure but maybe Garmin could disable the GPS making it worthless to others. The only thing they may need is the Serial #. Give that a try.

Recommend you put the word out in your neighborhood that you are offering a reward for its return, no questions asked.

Old 01-27-2008, 04:42 PM

Hyman Heights...

When we filed the police report, the officer said that the detectives typically check the pawn shop receipts once a week, but hubby and I are going to do some investigating of our own at the pawn shops around town.

Our Garmin didn't have the disable capabilites, and thankfully, we registered our unit online with Garmin so we had all that info ready for the officer when he arrived this morning.

Old 01-28-2008, 07:12 AM

2 posts, read 5,260 times
And please think about this...not only are Good people moving to the Asheville/Hendersonville area but alot of felonious folks are filtering into the region. Mountain towns are great hideouts. What started out as a "Mayberry RFD" type town is fast becoming as bad as a big city urban dilemma. Drugs fuel alot of this crime. Crack & Meth abound not only in the worst housing projects but in quiet residential neighborhoods. When I first moved here people NEVER locked their cars or houses-unthinkable now.

Old 01-28-2008, 08:23 AM

Oak, I am convinced that Meth is the Devil Incarnate...in rural central IL, where Hubby and I are from, it is rampant...partially because it is so easy to make. The farmers are warned not to leave their fertilizer tanks in their fields because the addicts will try and raid them for the chemicals.

Old 01-28-2008, 10:03 AM

92 posts, read 369,531 times
Default Sorry to hear of your loss!

It's a shame that you suffered a loss in serene Hendersonville. But trust me, it could've been worse. As noted above, you could have to deal with replacing a car window, replacing all of your sales receipts/invoices/contacts on a stolen laptop, or irreplaceable video/pictures on a stolen camera. Things like this shouldn't happen to good people in small town America, but guess what - it does! Good luck in your recovery efforts.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina