Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2015, 08:44 AM

428 posts, read 809,577 times

Advertisements

So I am coming to visit Asheville in a month and was planning on booking a house for a few weeks or a month through airbnb.com to be near or in the downtown Asheville area to really get a feel for the city as I am strongly considering moving to and living in Asheville, paying taxes, spending money, early retirement. Then I just noticed in the online newspaper how the city council really put the thumbscrews on any hosts renting out using airbnb, vrbo, etc as in short term vacation rentals. Now what? Anybody know if this applies also to nearby outlying cities like Hendersonville, etc.? Can I book a vacation rental at a nearby city without worrying about my booking disappearing because of city council regulations? I really wanted to be in Asheville but it looks risky now to book an airbnb as a host might cancel because of the recent changes in city laws. Wondering where I can rent a vacation now to be safe having my booking remain, yet be close enough to Asheville to scout it out as a city to move to. If not I guess I keep moving on down the road to another city-- but Asheville would be lucky to have me as I am a retired professor with retirement income--I don't take away any jobs and I would be paying property taxes and supporting the local economy.

If I read the new city council law correctly, there would not be a problem as long as I book for a month, the law seemed to apply for less than a month? Of course what constitutes a month-- 28 days or 30 or 31 days depending on the month?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2015, 08:47 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,378,220 times
There are places called hotels, motels and inns that also rent out rooms.

Last edited by carolinadawg2; 08-27-2015 at 09:02 AM..

Old 08-27-2015, 09:03 AM

474 posts, read 839,989 times
They have not yet ruled on homestays, so I believe those are still allowed, for now. 30 days constitutes a month, so you could rent from Aug 1 thru Aug 30 and you'd be okay.

Old 08-27-2015, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
Yes, and of course I know that. But I am inquiring about vacation rentals specifically. I do not want to pay for a hotel/motel/in because I need a 2-3 bedroom with kitchen; that can be had for $50+/night on average for a month at a vacation rental whereas renting 2-3 hotel rooms would run 3x that or more. And I don't want to live a month in a motel room.

Old 08-27-2015, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbono View Post
They have not yet ruled on homestays, so I believe those are still allowed, for now. 30 days constitutes a month, so you could rent from Aug 1 thru Aug 30 and you'd be okay.
I think that is safest, viz to rent 30+ days to protect both the host and myself from something going wrong because of the impending laws putting the kibosh on short term vacation home rentals.

I thought the ruling had already passed?
http://www.citizen-times.com/story/n...hall/32367343/

Old 08-27-2015, 09:35 AM

In Asheville, its illegal to rent out your entire house for less than thirty days if you're not living in the house. Its legal to rent out a portion your house for less than thirty days as long as the owner is still living there. Isn't the latter the primary business model of Airbnb?

Last edited by carolinadawg2; 08-27-2015 at 09:45 AM..

Old 08-27-2015, 09:44 AM

376 posts, read 499,733 times
Quote:
Isn't the latter the primary business model of Airbnb?

Not from what ive heard, seems to me most people have second houses or a guest house or something and they rent it out when they arnt living in it.

It does seem like easy money.

Old 08-27-2015, 09:53 AM

474 posts, read 839,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_obody999 View Post
I think that is safest, viz to rent 30+ days to protect both the host and myself from something going wrong because of the impending laws putting the kibosh on short term vacation home rentals.

I thought the ruling had already passed?
Asheville short-term rentals, Airbnbs now face $500 fines
Hmmm. You're right, didn't realize that. Sure hope they loosen those rules, which they're considering.

Old 08-27-2015, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbono View Post
Hmmm. You're right, didn't realize that. Sure hope they loosen those rules, which they're considering.
The city council is considering loosening the rules on "homestays", which are stays of less than 30 days where you rent a room, or a portion of a house, while the owner of the house lives there. Homestays are currently legal, the rules relaxation would involve allowing more of them, loosening parking requirements, etc. The council actually increased the fine for non-resident owners renting out their entire home for less than 30 days. There's no consideration for changing that.

Old 08-27-2015, 01:31 PM

1,736 posts, read 2,572,650 times
Quote:
The worldwide success of airbnb shows that many people prefer other alternatives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina