Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2015, 09:05 AM

8,107 posts, read 6,786,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
I could say posts 16 and 18 left me speechless but since I have the Sunday NY times delivered on my scenic little street populated by a garbage truck driver, florist assistant, duct fabricator and motel maid, I'll let it help with my lexicon:

I can't even.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/14/ma...-teenager.html
And I can't even begin to understand the mind readers who come on and interpret my posts in a way that's negative. You might want to go to the beginning of the OP to get the gist of it.

Last edited by Above Average Bear; 09-04-2015 at 09:46 AM.. Reason: Clarification
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2015, 11:36 AM

6,364 posts, read 11,637,136 times
Quote:
Huh ??

I got the impression AAB was implying the working class are not putting forth as much effort as educated people. They work hard and I don't think it is either fair or ecological if the only inexpensive housing available is way out in the country.

Old 09-04-2015, 11:46 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,403,550 times
Quote:

I got the impression AAB was implying the working class are not putting forth as much effort as educated people. They work hard and I don't think it is either fair or ecological if the only inexpensive housing available is way out in the country.
I'm sure he can speak for himself, but I didn't interpret his comment that way at all, and I really can't fathom how anyone could.

Old 09-04-2015, 12:54 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,606,281 times
Quote:

My "Huh" was directed toward the link you posted, which was not remotely relevant to anything on topic here.

Drawing conclusions is unfortunately an internet problem. No one can see the eyes, or the smile, can't hear the inflection or tone of voice, has no idea what posters' "life before Asheville" or "life in East Podunk" was, or whether they've been here forever; and certainly not what type life experiences one has had.

It all adds up to not jumping to conclusions, not trying to beat the other guy into a parking space. Giving the benefit of the doubt works very well, unless someone is chalking up a 'record'.

Many posters like to hide their sarcasm and practice keyboard bravado; it does not apply to the Bear.

Old 09-04-2015, 02:05 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,986,700 times
I do not live in Henderson County, but I do understand the issue being discussed, because it's common everywhere. I mean, Dahlonega GA is a small community and, after it became "Best place to retire" the prices began soaring. The same thing happened in Fairhope AL and numerous other desirable places for retirees and baby boomers building second homes for vacation and/or future retirement.

I'm in Franklin NC in the Smoky Mountains and, although the town doesn't offer nearly the shopping, restaurants and other conveniences of living in Asheville or Hendersonville, retirees began building here as an alternative for a variety of reasons. I'm guessing the main one was price. But then you've got an even bigger income gap. After I leave this gated golf course community, I pass several rundown trailers and small shacks. I was surprised and saddened when I first noticed people living in them. I always assumed they were abandoned homes.

Speaking of income gaps, I've been getting lists from Trulia of available homes in Murphy, a very rural area about 55 miles from here in the Appalachians. It's in the middle of nowhere, but quickly becoming a very popular place to retire. It's shocking to see small log homes listed for over $200,000. There's a gated community called Bear Paw where 1 and 2 room camping cabins built in the 1930s have been remodeled and updated, and are listed for over $100,000. To most of us, that's pretty cheap. However, if you're making $8.00 an hour in Walmart, it's cost prohibitive and, when housing prices go up, so do area rentals. It happened in coastal communities in Florida. The rents kept going up while the salaries stayed the same.

Maybe this seems off-topic, but the forum is for WNC and I'm guessing the other side of US 23 isn't so different. There is a great disparity of income between the rich and the poor and the inequality has risen disproportionately in some areas because of an influx of retirees. Just my opinion.

Last edited by justNancy; 09-04-2015 at 02:17 PM..

Old 09-04-2015, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by openmike View Post
So what is the income cut off ( minimum) excluding (health set backs) with marginal insurance, car/gas, utilities ,food , clothes, entertainment ,school, church 10% to mention a few before you even set foot into Hendersonville ? 38k! Rated among the highest cost cities not only in the U.S. ,but the world!! There Is an old money engine combined with tourist and some new money sources that drive the cost especially of shelter (housing/rentals) out of the universe. The properties, homes for sale are inflated by 45% simply on suggestion, arbitrary decisions greed and in the last four years 40% of properties are still for sale !!! Nobody gets the message as the engine of greed, insane expectations, real estate cookie monsters frothing over potential unrealistic commissions ,banks that are as bourgioisie as the rich and a city full of poorly nutritioned, overweight, penniless service people struggling to live another day in paradise!.Soon the economy will beat down the engines of manufactured and real affluencia. Then we will find a affordable home and if not expand the Rescue Mission!!! It may beat attempting to survive in a nearly condemed black mold ridden junk trailer down a dirt road as one serves money bags. Jobs? Please. We alwaywanted to live in Hendersonville ,but it has become unaffordable , yet I spent 7k to move in April. We love the city and locals as somewhat a contradiction.
The OP rails about old money, new money, real estate monsters, and banks as the source of his inability to make it in Asheville.

I was up against the same in NYC. I was raised by a cab driver and a women just off the farm. Both grade school drop outs. I grew up poor, no money for college, or any other frills. To top that I grew up with severe abuse which developed into PTSD. I knew that I wanted to escape the poverty of my past and that I was living in a very expensive part of the country. So I better work as hard as I could. I worked a civil service job, and many hours of overtime and 2 other part time jobs. I also invested in real estate. My first coop was bought for17K, that's how long ago it was.

And that's what I like about Asheville. People that make it here do one or all of the following. They work hard, sacrifice, invest, get an education, and do whatever it takes to get ahead and live in Gods country. The OP and others who post here would be wise to do the same, instead of wasting time complaining.

Quote:

BTW, I lived in the azz end of Brooklyn where it took me an hour to an hour and a half to get to work at the other end of Brooklyn. For 32 years.

Old 09-05-2015, 08:10 AM

I'm sorry I misunderstood, AAB. I find myself sympathetic to a friend's husband who was raised very poor. That limits her housing choice as he's not comfortable living in a neighborhood with a mix of incomes and she prefers old houses. So be it. I consider myself fortunate to have been raised with income security so poverty does not seem threatening at a gut level.

Old 09-05-2015, 09:13 AM

8,963 posts, read 8,966,962 times
wages are LOW.

Old 09-05-2015, 09:36 AM

Quote:
I'm sorry I misunderstood, AAB. I find myself sympathetic to a friend's husband who was raised very poor. That limits her housing choice as he's not comfortable living in a neighborhood with a mix of incomes and she prefers old houses. So be it. I consider myself fortunate to have been raised with income security so poverty does not seem threatening at a gut level.

No worries creeksitter. I know that it's sometimes hard to interpret posts as apposed to hearing it from the horses mouth. By telling some of my personal story I was hoping to convey that whatever you are handed in life you have to take that and run with it. Hard work can overcome a lot of obstacles.

Old 09-05-2015, 12:25 PM

I now understand where you are coming from and understand why you would feel more comfortable in a wealthier neighborhood.

I kind of get your point about Reed because he posts like an intelligent person who might benefit from an education/training program. But remember, half the population is below average. Some people aren't bright enough to hold a high wage job, and it seems somehow wrong to have a community where there is no place for them except minimal subsidized housing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina