Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2013, 06:11 PM

4,787 posts, read 10,602,776 times

Advertisements

With the foot+ of rain this month, pic opportunities have been slight...I managed to rack a few between the daily deluges we have up here. We have had more rain and more wind driven rain out of the east/southeast than I have seen since 'Canes Ivan & Francis in 2004. Some recent pics. Thanks for looking! BR, mD

Our elderberry varietals have regrown like clockwork, and here in early June it's 'flower time' for them.

Like a Queen Anne's Lace flower:

Sunset across Ratcliff Mtn & Canton Gap:

Subtle sunrise over the mtns, with clouds and valley fog. In B&W for a change:

My maternal grandmother, a woman born in the 19th century and a farm girl from western MI, used to say, 'David, every cloud has a silver lining.' These did,
even after hours of sideways rain:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2013, 09:28 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,177,253 times
Awesome as usual, md. I've been hungry for the flower pics, nice to see. Beautiful vistas. It always strikes me how much the cloudscapes in the mountains bring to mind the ocean, with the wave formations.

Old 06-10-2013, 09:32 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,177,253 times
In the Ratcliff and Canton Gap pic, off to the upper left, reminds me of a wave crashing against a cliff shore, when in fact it's a cloud abutting a peak. You do manage to catch some nice action in the pics.

Old 06-11-2013, 08:31 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,405,069 times
Beautiful, as usual, David.

Old 06-14-2013, 07:36 PM

5,234 posts, read 7,983,041 times
Gorgeous photos, you are lucky to live in such a beautiful place.

Old 06-15-2013, 08:03 PM

2,540 posts, read 6,228,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motordavid View Post
Had the late May full moon couple days ago, which brings in cold temps; we don't need a weather man to foretell us that...
Couple pics: First pic is a shot of moon rise over The Cold Mtn: zoom lens racked out to 85mm which on my crop sensor Canon 40D is more like a ~135 mm lens in terms of field of view, but still not true tele. Lucky hand held pic.

Second pic was a ~20 sec shot exposed for looking down at Waynesville, and made the moon look like the sun, . Even on my crap tripod, it has some shake/fuzz to some of the highlights...

Thanks for looking!
GL, mD

Can't rep you twice, so had to comment on how beautiful these pics are. I'd be standing out on your balcony all the time looking down over Waynesville. You are very fortunate to be living where I can only dream of being.

Old 07-02-2013, 12:47 PM

62 posts, read 116,863 times
Default Rainbow

The fog lifted just enough to get this pic of the rainbow
Attached Thumbnails
Western NC official Photo thread-rainbow-fog.jpg  

Old 07-03-2013, 06:39 PM

4,787 posts, read 10,602,776 times
We had a rare couple hours of sunshine yesterday, so I snapped our Mahonia outside our front door: they do flowering tassels every late spring, and then those flowering/fruiting parts turn to these berries.
They do fine in this mostly shade/some afternoon sun spot, and being close to the house probably helps in winter. Mahonia aquifolium , aka Oregon Grape, but no relation to grapevines or grapes...

And, a shot last eve as the daily near continual rain paused, showing the rain and storm clouds east of us over the mtn ridges, toward A'ville and running south of A'ville.
We need an ark up here...

Old 07-04-2013, 07:24 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,530,348 times
Very pretty David, does the fruit attract birds? What is that weeping "bush" in front of the rock ? I have just the spot for that. thx.

Old 07-04-2013, 08:48 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,486,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motordavid View Post
We need an ark up here...
The dogs are demanding floaties to even go outside at this point. The teens are organizing a rebellion after they heard the fireworks were cancelled, and they can't do the annual cruising main street looking for girls. Sigh

I kinda enjoy it. Spending several hours cooking gourmet meals with wine.Reading books, etc. beats sitting in Texas with no rain and 100+ degree temps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina