Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2015, 03:23 PM

2,540 posts, read 6,229,862 times

Advertisements

Couldn't rate you again, gorgeous shots!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2015, 04:12 PM

4,788 posts, read 10,608,885 times
Thank you for the views, and props! I appreciate it...
Our seasonal batch of Carolina Northern Flying Squirrels started their nightly 'landings' on our deck in early May.

They soar in like missiles from the large oaks and rock maples and then scamper onto our deck rail. I feed them generously every eve at dusk, if we are home. I bring in the bird feeders and hummer feeder and sprinkle top shelf bird seed, mostly black oil sunflower seed, all along the deck rails.

One of them, larger than the rest, comes at barely dusk, then the rest soar in. We had a new high count of 16 the other night! It was a riot, as they are scamper, cling, climb and bang into each other in their pecking order for eats.

We used to average about 5 or 6, but we had that high count of 16 two nights ago, and about a dozen last night.
I cannot get a pic of the entire crowd in one shot, as they are spread out on two levels of deck rails, and when I hit them with the cam flash focus beam, they tend to 'get out of line'.

Not tame, but not afraid of us, as we can get quite close. Though when one is startled, it is pandemonium, but they come back in seconds.

Interesting creature, and as they are endangered I don't take any pot shots at them with my pellet pistol, as I do the tenacious gray and red mtn squirrels that beat up/empty my bird feeders.

Old 08-01-2015, 06:18 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,537,817 times
Nice ! enjoyed those photos.

Old 08-01-2015, 07:16 AM

1,324 posts, read 2,510,586 times
Cute little guys! No trouble with bears smelling treats on the rail?

Old 08-01-2015, 02:43 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,407,985 times
Oh, they are ridiculously cute, MotorDavid!

Old 08-08-2015, 12:40 PM

497 posts, read 968,779 times
I had a neighbor who kept a flying squirrel in the house as a pet. It would "fly" from the top of one curtain to another and land on visitors. That act took some getting used to. Certainly an unusual creature for the East. MD, you're fortunate to have these guys as guests.

Old 08-12-2015, 11:13 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,470,570 times

Catawba Falls

Just taken with my point and shoot because it was me and the little one and I couldn't luge my real gear. Gotta drag the husband back as my pack mule one of these days.

Old 08-13-2015, 03:54 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,407,985 times
Gorgeous, Saucy!!!!

Old 09-09-2015, 06:46 AM

4,218 posts, read 8,529,042 times
Thumbs up WNC Fall Color - 2015

We've been seeing spots of color in Avery County for several weeks. This article from the Winston-Salem Journal is really encouraging... WCU Professor Predicts Best Leaf-Looking Season in Several Years

As the season progresses, post your pics and tips here!

Old 09-17-2015, 02:14 PM

4,788 posts, read 10,608,885 times
Default Western NC Pics...

Jeez, it's been a month and a half since I tossed up some photos...

Here is a set from the past few weeks. A couple of above average sunrises/views and a few pics of when our granddaughter was in town for her annual week at our Mtn home, minus her parents.

This is her 7th year of coming down to stay with us, by herself, and we love having her, though at 12 going on 14 she has done all of the 'kids stuff' there is to do in western NC, and has become a professional eye roller at her grandparents.

Thanks for looking!
GL, mD

An Above Average sunrise from yesterday. Autumn sky is back...

Senora Solar peeking over the ridges at sunrise:

Sunset with a slight rainbow after our last rain here, weeks ago:

We hit Navitat for her 2nd zip lining adventure. She is very capable physically, and tall for 12.

We did some top down 'spirited driving' in the Vette Vert. We did the Nature Center together again.

Arty shot. Lens was covered in condensation. Luck of the photons hitting the cam sensor...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina