Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2015, 03:37 PM

428 posts, read 800,971 times

Advertisements

What if anything is there to do in the Canton NC area? I am at a vacation rental airbnb in Canton as a base for exploring Asheville etc and wondering if there is anything worth seeing or doing in the Canon area given it is a 20+ min drive into Asheville. Any touristy things in the Canon area? Waterfall worth seeing? Easy hike? Other?
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2015, 04:19 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,419,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_obody999 View Post
What if anything is there to do in the Canton NC area? I am at a vacation rental airbnb in Canton as a base for exploring Asheville etc and wondering if there is anything worth seeing or doing in the Canon area given it is a 20+ min drive into Asheville. Any touristy things in the Canon area? Waterfall worth seeing? Easy hike? Other?

Sorry, but it sounds like you didn't do any homework before leaving Minnesota to come here?

Don't know where you are in Canton, but hop on I-40 and it's about 10 mins. to downtown Asheville as the crow flies. Could be a tad more with a lot of traffic.

Seriously?

Here is a website for you with plenty of information of the various towns; activities, waterfalls, etc., and you can pick up a good map just about anywhere.

www.romanticasheville.com

And yes, with regard to your question about Brevard, it IS in the mountains, all the towns in Western NC are in the mountains. Check Google online for topography maps of any area you are curios about.

Old 09-29-2015, 05:54 PM

4,781 posts, read 10,535,693 times
Waynesville is 15 mins west of Canton: thriving downtown, galleries, a half dozen micro brew pubs,
3 golf courses, Lake Junaluska to walk around, Blue Ridge Parkway entrance about 5 mins south of town, et al.

W'ville is ringed by 6,000 ft + mtns, too.

Skinny Dip Falls is listed as 'Canton', and it's 'close to Canton', once up on the BR Pkway...I bet it is roaring right now, with the foot of rain we have had since Thursday eve.

GL, mD

Skinny Dip Falls (Canton, NC): Address, Waterfall Review - TripAdvisor

Last edited by motordavid; 09-29-2015 at 07:02 PM..

Old 10-03-2015, 10:00 AM

428 posts, read 800,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Sorry, but it sounds like you didn't do any homework before leaving Minnesota to come here?

Don't know where you are in Canton, but hop on I-40 and it's about 10 mins. to downtown Asheville as the crow flies. Could be a tad more with a lot of traffic.

Seriously?

Here is a website for you with plenty of information of the various towns; activities, waterfalls, etc., and you can pick up a good map just about anywhere.

www.romanticasheville.com

And yes, with regard to your question about Brevard, it IS in the mountains, all the towns in Western NC are in the mountains. Check Google online for topography maps of any area you are curios about.
Been at romanticasheville.com lots, but little to do around the Canton NC area.

I actually did do my homework before leaving MN, but thanks to the residents and city council of Asheville a new law went into force August 25 just when I was finding and booking a vacation rental-- putting the kaibosh on 95% of vacation rentals in Asheville making rentals under a month illegal and with $500 a day fines as I recall. So the choices dropped off the map. I got a Canton airbnb for $1500 for a month, would have had to have paid almost twice that in avl. Some nice airbnb vac rentals i had my eye on in avl dropped off the radar with the new law. Just my bad luck. As a result I probably will not see enough of avl to decided to live in avl, right now that is up in the air, and I could have been a great taxpayer and possible employer in the region.

Old 10-03-2015, 10:42 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,419,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_obody999 View Post
Been at romanticasheville.com lots, but little to do around the Canton NC area.

I actually did do my homework before leaving MN, but thanks to the residents and city council of Asheville a new law went into force August 25 just when I was finding and booking a vacation rental-- putting the kaibosh on 95% of vacation rentals in Asheville making rentals under a month illegal and with $500 a day fines as I recall. So the choices dropped off the map. I got a Canton airbnb for $1500 for a month, would have had to have paid almost twice that in avl. Some nice airbnb vac rentals i had my eye on in avl dropped off the radar with the new law. Just my bad luck. As a result I probably will not see enough of avl to decided to live in avl, right now that is up in the air, and I could have been a great taxpayer and possible employer in the region.

So what are you saying ? You don't have a car ? or a real estate agent to help you ? You need to get in your car, get out there and explore. There is also www.vrbo.com and www.homeaway.com . Other people come here and get around just fine. I don't know what you expect.

If you're homesick, then you know the answer to that.

Old 10-03-2015, 02:19 PM

12,798 posts, read 16,215,355 times
Wherever you are in most of NC you will need a car. There are a few cities, such as Chapel Hill and Carrboro, where you might be able to get by without one, but you'd certainly need one in the Asheville area if you want to get out of the city to see the sights of the mountains.

Old 10-03-2015, 02:37 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,829,767 times
drive to AVL. Canton is meh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina