Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2015, 08:54 AM

428 posts, read 809,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMX View Post
Um...240?
I think that is the hwy. Driving into Asheville and across town there seem to be 4 lanes on each side and is maddening for me is how quickly and how often the right lane ends and another left lane is created and then the reverse, constantly changing lanes so as not to get caught in the right or left land at the wrong place and time. I come from Duluth MN, same population as Asheville, but avl feels 5x as big and with Duluth there is just I35 coming into and out of town with two standard lanes each side. Then a 4 lane (2 each side) no surprises hwy goes out of duluth north to norther MN and also a similar road north or Duluth along Lake Superior ('north shore drive)

avl is feeling too big for me, too much traffic and lane changing with that 240. I thought avl was a city in a valley but it turns out it is a city built in many valleys what with the mountains and hills rising up so that the roads and neighborhoods spider out and also lots of roads and homes build on the mountain/hill sides; making bicycling a non-possibility for me (i'd have to have thighs like the Hulk to be able to bike around town, lol).

I am here for october so will keep checking out avl but I think i need a lower flatter elevation city, probably going to look into coastal cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2015, 08:55 AM

428 posts, read 809,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhm5 View Post
Asheville certainly has more confusing interstate roads around the city than any city of its size that I know.
THank you. Then it is not my imagination.

Old 10-03-2015, 09:49 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,530,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_obody999 View Post
THank you. Then it is not my imagination.

So basically you just don't like Asheville because of a small section of roads around the city itself. And Asheville is not a large city by any means.

Quite simple: visit other towns or cities. If you think the Asheville roads are 'bad', you might like Rt.. 95 over near the coast; or Rt. 85 around Charlotte, NC; Greenville, SC; Spartanburg, SC; Atlanta, GA.

Every tourist area is going to have a lot of traffic in tourist season. Prescription: do more homework. Maybe you would like northeast TX or the wide open spaces of Wyoming or Montana. Best of luck.

Old 10-03-2015, 10:23 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
I think most of the roads in the South and East are more confusing than roads in the Midwest and West. Very few cities in the South are laid out in grids. If you have a good sense of direction it's not a problem, but for people who are confused easily you can end up someplace you didn't plan to be.

You might like to look at the list of Bicycle Friendly Communities if you haven't already: http://www.bikeleague.org/sites/defa...pring_2015.pdf

This article links to a PDF of the most bike friendly neighborhoods in the US: The Top 100 Neighborhoods for Bicycle Commuting Have a 21% Mode Share | Streetsblog USA

Also, I highly encourage you to take a virtual bike ride/drive using Google Maps and the little yellow guy. Plunk him down in the area you're interested in and you can see exactly what it's like there and you won't be surprised that Asheville is hilly or how big Wilmington will feel (give you a hint, bigger than Asheville), etc.

Old 10-03-2015, 11:44 AM

730 posts, read 774,727 times
The OP needs to look at metro area populations and not just the city itself.

Duluth metro 279K

Asheville metro 425k

Asheville metro population has >50% more people than Duluth's. Then you get into Asheville metro being spread out through the valleys for the most part. OP's impression is correct, the Asheville metro area is more populous and more spread out, than Duluth's metro area.

Last edited by Clever nickname here; 10-03-2015 at 12:44 PM..

Old 10-03-2015, 12:39 PM

1,324 posts, read 2,509,537 times
Takes some getting used to lanes ending because there is a mountain in the way and nothing goes straight for long. But had to drive through Atlanta last week and OMG Asheville and its confusing roads anytime. Our drivers are not half as crazed except for the tourists and they are mostly lost or scared to death!

Old 10-03-2015, 03:22 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,468,873 times
I think the OP wants Greenville sc and its outlying areas like travelers rest. You are close enough to make a day trip and check it out. I'd strongly suggest it.

Old 10-03-2015, 04:02 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,525,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saucystargazer View Post
I think the OP wants Greenville sc and its outlying areas like travelers rest. You are close enough to make a day trip and check it out. I'd strongly suggest it.
I agree 200%

Old 10-04-2015, 09:19 AM

1,324 posts, read 2,509,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saucystargazer View Post
Good suggestion, Greenville is a nice town with easy drive to the mountains or the coast when you want a change.

Old 10-04-2015, 11:55 AM

6,350 posts, read 11,580,635 times
OP apparently hates sprawl with a firey passion. Will the swamp rabbit trail going into Greenville from Traveler's rest buffer him from Greenville's sprawl? Does Travelers rest have sprawl?

Best place I thought for him is the St Elmo neighborhood in Chattanooga. It's a hippy dippy gentrifying neighborhood but you cross over the GA line and after one convenience store you are in deep country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina