Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2015, 02:40 PM

428 posts, read 809,349 times

Advertisements

Just my observation on driving around Asheville day two, it feels so much larger than the stated 85,000 or so population. I am dealing with 4 lanes each side highway going in and out of Asheville and I never encountered that in Duluth MN from where I come from (simple 2 lanes each side highway into and out of Duluth). Wondering if locals think avl has gotten too busy perhaps too or is this all in my head?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2015, 03:13 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,530,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_obody999 View Post
Just my observation on driving around Asheville day two, it feels so much larger than the stated 85,000 or so population. I am dealing with 4 lanes each side highway going in and out of Asheville and I never encountered that in Duluth MN from where I come from (simple 2 lanes each side highway into and out of Duluth). Wondering if locals think avl has gotten too busy perhaps too or is this all in my head?

Four (4) lanes ? on each side ? What highway were you on? I-40, a cross country interstate is only two (2) lanes on each side here. I-26 which runs northwest to southeast is the same, only 2 lanes each side.

Old 09-29-2015, 04:43 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,525,465 times
There are a few short sections of both interstates where there are more than two lanes in each direction. High amount of traffic in Asheville has more to do with the volume of visitors than it does size of resident population.

OP, read this thread: //www.city-data.com/forum/weste...ic-sheesh.html

Old 09-29-2015, 10:24 PM
FMX

6 posts, read 7,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Four (4) lanes ? on each side ? What highway were you on? I-40, a cross country interstate is only two (2) lanes on each side here. I-26 which runs northwest to southeast is the same, only 2 lanes each side.
Um...240?

Old 09-30-2015, 06:14 AM

411 posts, read 613,933 times
QC, 240 gets really wide heading west out of Asheville.

OP, it's from tourist season (and there's even a tourism lull in September).

Old 09-30-2015, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susieisanartist View Post
QC, 240 gets really wide heading west out of Asheville.

OP, it's from tourist season (and there's even a tourism lull in September).

Yes, I definitely know about 240, it is a very short section. The OP is giving other readers the wrong impression. Even though he posted for several months on these WNC threads and received good information, evidently all our efforts didn't matter. He has had many replies about topography, Google maps have been linked to him, and yet he is still 'lost'.

We try.

Old 09-30-2015, 09:19 AM

2,424 posts, read 3,534,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_obody999 View Post
Asheville certainly has more confusing interstate roads around the city than any city of its size that I know.

Old 09-30-2015, 09:33 AM

4,787 posts, read 10,602,776 times
^ +1...

As an only occasional user of the Asheville area 'ring road(s)', I usually find myself thinking, 'where am I/which way do I want to go/what does 240 East or West really mean', etc.

My CEO seems to get around well, but she does the A'ville runs/shopping more frequently than I do.

Having driven in every major/minor city in the US, and many in foreign cities & countries, I am at a loss to understand why I am often unsure of the 240/40 process. And, neither of the two cars I usually drive have NAV, though the CEO's main car does.

As for the OP's thought about A'ville feeling 'larger', I tend to agree though it is probably a function of all the close in & outlying metro traffic in the area, the large land area but with most roads channeled through the valleys, and my perception that it is more 'crowded' by the year. Not anything similar to NYC or Chitown or LA metro, or ATL metro crowded, but noticeably more 'traffic'. But, I notice the increase in cars even here in Waynesville, since we got here 14 yrs ago.

GL, mD

Last edited by motordavid; 09-30-2015 at 10:32 AM..

Old 09-30-2015, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhm5 View Post
Asheville certainly has more confusing interstate roads around the city than any city of its size that I know.
True it is a very old city with very old roads around the city itself.

Old 09-30-2015, 12:24 PM

366 posts, read 1,016,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
True it is a very old city with very old roads around the city itself.
Tis true. To me the worst area and thankfully one I don't travel during rush hour is 26E from the 40/240 interchange down to Airport Rd. Hendersonville Rd often gets backed up in both directions around 5:30pm as well
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina