Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2015, 10:58 AM

188 posts, read 256,445 times

Advertisements

We are finally able to take a full day next month to drive through NC on a scouting trip, while on the way to the east coast for Thanksgiving. Can you throw some suggestions for places to drive through to scout for a future move? My plan is to drive through Marion, Little Switzerland, over to Boone/Banner Elk, back over toward Bakersville, then I-26 to some Tenn spots. I really would like to live in an area above 2500 feet, or far enough north to make up for elevation. We'll be retired by the time we move, so employment and kids in school are not a problem. Will also come back next summer for a week to do a deeper scout, Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2015, 08:24 AM

1,912 posts, read 3,232,317 times
Be sure to drive 221 from Linville Caverns to Grandfather, its a beautiful area

Old 10-22-2015, 11:46 AM

1,738 posts, read 2,584,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes59 View Post
We are finally able to take a full day next month to drive through NC on a scouting trip, while on the way to the east coast for Thanksgiving. Can you throw some suggestions for places to drive through to scout for a future move? My plan is to drive through Marion, Little Switzerland, over to Boone/Banner Elk, back over toward Bakersville, then I-26 to some Tenn spots. I really would like to live in an area above 2500 feet, or far enough north to make up for elevation. We'll be retired by the time we move, so employment and kids in school are not a problem. Will also come back next summer for a week to do a deeper scout, Thanks.
That's an awful lot to squeeze into one day, especially with it getting dark by 6 pm next month.
The parkway will be leafless and pretty bleak, and with a 45 mph speed limit you will not cover
much ground. But if you do have time, I would visit West Jefferson, about 30 minutes north of Boone.

Old 10-22-2015, 11:59 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,397,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes59 View Post
I really would like to live in an area above 2500 feet, or far enough north to make up for elevation.
It doesn't quite work like that. North/south has nothing to do with cooler temperatures if that's what you're looking for. It's ONLY elevation. And the general consensus on the forum here is you need to be above 3000ft. 2500 feet won't do the trick.

It will most likely be cold everywhere in November. You need to come back in the summer if you want to really feel the difference elevation makes.

I agree that that is way too much to do in a single day and expect to see anything. Keep an eye on the weather. Snow and ice in November is not unusual. Probably won't run into it, but there was a nice Halloween snowstorm year before last I believe.

Old 10-22-2015, 12:52 PM

4,795 posts, read 10,649,525 times
Agree with posters above...
On a GOOG Map that 'route' is 4+ hours without stopping, and if one 'starts' in Marion.

Could one do that stretch? Maybe, but you won't see anything except the road and little to no gas/break stops in that 4+ hours.

https://goo.gl/maps/SMMkW2z1C7M2

Nearly all day probably on a 'normal drive', but unless you are glancing at houses as you drive by on the road, you won't see many.

The far northwest counties of NC are probably cooler on most days of year vs Franklin, et al in the southwest counties or Asheville and east. But, I agree with poppydog it is mostly about elevation, as in 3-3500+ ft nearly anywhere in western NC.

Wes, your Nov route doesn't get near Madison/Haywood/Jackson counties all of which have decent little towns, lots of houses, lots of views and house elevations from 2500 to nearly 6,000 ft.

Those 3 counties have more 'mountains' than the rest of western NC combined, imo.
GL, mD

https://goo.gl/maps/fcPrLWAeG842

Last edited by motordavid; 10-22-2015 at 01:42 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina