Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 05:43 PM

606 posts, read 1,978,565 times

Advertisements

The key is how new the home is, and how well insulated it is. Also take into account any electronics you will be running. For instance a computer with an old style CRT monitor can run as much as $40/mth if it's left running 24/7. LCD monitors use much less.

Of course the big draw is heat. My daughter lives in a small, well insulated cottage, abt 700 sq ft., 2/1 with a large combined kitchen and living area. They have electric baseboard heaters, and supplement their heating needs with a portable kerosene heater. They also have a computer with an LCD monitor and keep it off when not in use. There are three people in the home and their bill runs about $75/mo.

Then there's hot water heaters! That's my biggest draw right now. I keep mine off most of the time, and if I do flip it on, It's from about 6 to 10 PM only. I just moved into this house, so I haven't gotten a bill yet, but the last folks that were here paid $220/mo for at least the last two months! That made my deposit a whopping $440!! I had to get my landlord to co-sign for me. As it was, I was without it for two weeks, living the pioneer lifestyle. Fun for a couple of weeks, but no more than that!

This house is a self built frame house built in 1953. The older houses 1895-1920, are actually better built than the ones built later. This one has severe structural damage in the sills at one end. They obviously didn't use Locust when they built it!

When the house was built (Where were you in 1953? Can you believe that life was this primitive in the mountains then?) they had an outhouse and no electricity. Electricity didn't come out this way until the '60s, and the bathroom was added on in the late 70's.

I'm rambling, sorry! Anyway, the point is, old houses and older mobile homes will eat you up with high electric bills. The newer the house, the lower the bills. The electric company has records on every home and is the best source for what your bills will actually run.

Where is your new home located? If you need any help getting settled, just give a hollar.

Tracey
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2008, 08:00 PM

2,766 posts, read 5,520,710 times
Thank you tracey

Our home was just built and it is well insulated I hope.We had the home inspected and they had to put more insulation in it so I am sure about that. Our computers all have LCD monitors so we will see. I do like my hot long baths though I just might have to cut them shorter with less water. We didn't have to put a deposit for the electric co so maybe we have a different one. Ours is blueridge electric.

Old 02-12-2008, 09:04 AM

20 posts, read 72,094 times
Thanks Virgo Lady, It really sounds like what I am looking for. I've resigned myself to knowing I'll never be rich, but atleast in NC I will have a house, not a mobile home, it will paid for unlike the 21 years of mortage I have left here and best of all, I will be close to the mountains instead of this flat land and sticky beach. Thanks for your input, I appreciate it.
Buggybooshay (Trish)

Old 02-12-2008, 09:15 AM

Hi Tracey,
I haven't actually moved there yt. I am coming up in March to scout around, but I have to sell my place here in Florida first. I am a motivated seller, but the market has been down. It is starting to come back to life though.

I have a computer that is about 10 or 12 years old. I'm really not on it very much, I keep it off, including the power strip when I'm not using it. I turn my hot water heater on for 30 minutes in the morning, get my shower and heat some water on the stove or coffee maker to do the dishes. I have also replaced all of my lightbulbs with the energy saving bulbs. MY bills here in Florida were funning $250 to $350 a month ouch... but with a new front doorn, new ventilation holes and all the other money saving idea I could come up with, I got it down to $150. Last month and the month before it was only $75. Oh gosh I'm frugal.
I hope to have enough money left from the sale of my Florida home, to pay cash for a house, get some green alternative energy (solar, small windmill) installed and of course make sure everything is weather sealed and insulated. After being single for 15 years I have become very handy around the house. I do my own tile, painting, flooring, electrical and yard work, only because I couldn't afford to pay anyone.

I'm about to get booted off, I have free netzero, only 10 hours a month!
Trish

Old 02-12-2008, 09:23 AM

My bills here in Florida have been real high in the summer, $250 to $350. I had some ventilation holes put up in the attic portion of this mobile home and bills came right down. Believe it or not I kepp my thermo on 64-67 in the witer and 81-84 in the summer. With the new verntilation holes and a fan or 2 running, it actually feels pretty good in here. My electric bills are cut in half now.

Old 02-13-2008, 08:46 AM

100 posts, read 417,908 times
Smile Tracey--

Thanks so much for the info and the links. I have never heard of turning off your HW heater. Guess it works for folks that aren't home all day. I have also never heard of an oil-fired HW heater. Mine have been either gas or elect.
fredda

Old 02-15-2008, 12:36 PM

Hi Tracey, I'm coming up in March, do you know of any inexpensive mom and pop motels that I can bring my 2 chihuahuas with me to stay a night or two?
Buggybooshay-Trish

Old 02-16-2008, 10:15 AM

I turn my hot water heater off at the breaker box in my house, that makes it real easy. My elevtric bill went waaaayyyyyy down!!
Trish

Old 02-23-2008, 01:51 AM

148 posts, read 585,134 times
The only hotels I can think of in Lenoir are the Jameson Inn, the Days Inn, & the Comfort Inn. I'm pretty sure the Comfort Inn doesn't allow pets [and I think it's the highest of the 3], but I can find out about the others.

One thing I thought I'd mention, if you want to keep a small town feel, is to make sure the Realtor you choose is familiar with the surrounding communities, and not just Lenoir itself. Areas like Hudson, Granite Falls, or Icard, or even Collettsville or Happy Valley might be more to your liking.

Moderator cut: removed

Last edited by autumngal; 02-23-2008 at 02:00 PM.. Reason: to comply with the TOS

Old 02-24-2008, 12:12 PM

Great advice. I am currently in touch with Amanda Abernathy with Cooper Southern Realty. She has been quite helpful, I'm meeting with her 3/14 to see some places. Granite Falls looks nice, I haven't heard of Happy Valley, I'll look it up via the net. Thank you.

I actually booked a pet friendly room at the Red Carpet Inn. They were the cheapest. I did read some mixed reviews, but I guess it will turn out alright. It's only 2 nights of my life and I'm saving $50+.

Thanks again for taking the time to help me, it is much appreciated.
Trish
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina