Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2008, 06:38 PM

764 posts, read 1,597,903 times

Advertisements

Took a ride there this weekend and boy was I NOT impressed. The exhibits left a lot to be desired. The interactive computers were INOP and the 23 minute presentation was unavailable.

I did ride a little further down the BRP to the Folk Center. I was very impressed with that facility.

Supposedly this effort cost the taxpayers $10M. Did notice that the gutters on the Green roof are already leaking.

So is the Destination Center a disappointment or is it just me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2008, 06:19 AM

2,657 posts, read 8,031,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat2MT View Post
So is the Destination Center a disappointment or is it just me?
I've been up and down the Parkway many times and note that, really, none of the tourist centers are razzle dazzle

I think one paragraph from this article sums it up
$9.8 million visitor center opens along Blue Ridge Parkway | Serving Henderson, Transylvania and Polk Counties | North Carolina | BlueRidgeNow.com

Quote:
When former U.S. Rep. Charles Taylor secured funding years ago for the Parkway headquarters and destination center, he envisioned the visitor center containing an IMAX theater showing tourist attractions along the Parkway. Environmentalists worried then about commercialization of the Parkway. But visitors to the center Monday said they found its design and exhibits low key and appropriate for a National Park.
I don't want the Parkway to become a tourist trap. It's supposed to be a leisure road with periodic exhibits that enlighten the visitor about life in the area. The main reason we now avoid going to the Smokies is because of all the crap that surrounds the area

We haven't visited the DC yet; your post is the first mention I've seen of the new facility. We'll have to make the drive up there soon to check it out. I have to stay out of the Folk Center, though. My credit card burns a hole in my pocket whenever I get near that place

Old 02-04-2008, 07:35 AM

1,160 posts, read 4,245,036 times
Yeah, the Folk Art Center, I always considered it as THE Parkway visitor's center for Asheville, east a few miles of the Hendersonville Road intersection, a taller building on the right, with a vaulted ceiling inside, a loft area, lots and lots of local crafts and textiles to buy and so forth. Too bad they put that new one so close to it. A lot of visitors are apparently going to be disappointed and maybe even miss the much more interesting Folk Art Center a little further east.

Old 02-04-2008, 08:12 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,526,360 times
This visitors center was extremely political, reason played no part. The Folk Art Center is a jewel, and powers that be simply ignored it to the point of trying to scuttle it by building the visitor center just a mile down the road. There were a lot of efforts to make a better welcome center in conjunction with the Folk Art Center, but fell on deaf ears as it didn't fit the political agenda.

Sadly corruption within any government agency is now "business as usual" and we get to foot the bill.

Old 02-04-2008, 08:16 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,526,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gigimac View Post
Yeah, the Folk Art Center, I always considered it as THE Parkway visitor's center for Asheville, east a few miles of the Hendersonville Road intersection,
Actually it is just north of Tunnel Road (US 70). The welcome center is about a mile south between Tunnel Rd (US70) and US74

But otherwise you are right, the Folk Art Center is pretty cool, attractive, interesting, and has been successful in the past, and IF the new visitors center doesn't draw too much traffic away should remain so.

Old 02-04-2008, 08:59 AM

764 posts, read 1,597,903 times
[quote=silverwing;2717644]I've been up and down the Parkway many times and note that, really, none of the tourist centers are razzle dazzle /quote]

They don't need to razzle dazzle the customer...just provide the educational information but that doesn't require a $10M facility. If you visit any of the other NPS attractions along the BRP, they are simple in design (even the Moses Cone homestead) and succinct in its message.

I agree with Asheville Native's point that the Destination Center was built much too close to the Folk Center. The allure of the BRP is you can drive for an hour or so between facilities... it's just too close to the Folk Center, albeit they are two separate and distinct educational centers.

I don't doubt that the NPS privately requested the funds outside their yearly budget appropriation but they can't publicly announce that. Congressman like the publicity that comes with announcing what great things they are doing with our money! That's the problem with Congressional earmarks....the agency is forced to use the funds for a specific requirement even if it doesn't make sense. You don't want to look a gifted horse in the mouth or next time you won't get any funds.

There numerous other locations along the BRP where similar facilities would have made more sense and would have been better use of taxpayer dollars.

Old 02-04-2008, 01:51 PM

132 posts, read 346,977 times
I am surprised that the government has not yet offered naming rights to these BRP facilities in an effort to reduce operating expenses. It is only a matter of time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina