Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2016, 05:39 PM

55 posts, read 62,740 times

Advertisements

We are interested in the area of Utah Mountain Estates in Waynesville off of 276 (as well as the neighborhoods in Laurel Ridge and Plott Mountain). One concern we have is accessibility in the winter. We don't mind being snowed/iced in for a few days, but I do worry about emergency situations. Does anyone know if the higher elevation homes in the Utah Estates neighborhood are inaccessible for any length of time in the winter? If so, what is the best guess for being unable to get to a main road. Thanks! (Md, you can probably answer this one easily!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2016, 07:51 PM

4,793 posts, read 10,626,908 times
Well, I can offer an opin...

We owned a lot up near the top, and we have several friends up Utah Mtn & Plott Mtn, and we live high above Laurel Ridge.

The weather during any winter may present a few days of troublesome to risky, to no way is someone going to try it conditions.
That is based on all those areas having some steep climbs and north facing/shaded curves.

Laurel Ridge area itself, eg around the golf course and up to just above the first water tank/switchback, is seldom inaccessible for more than a night or day/night, and that condition is rare at those 3500 ft and lower elevations.

Any of us at 3500 to 5000+ ft are aware of the possibility that during a bitter cold stretch following a good snow, the road(s) will not be navigable for a brief time. None of us wring our hands about it, and it is not really a topic of conversation.

Everyone has their own comfort level but for the few days a winter season that impassable conditions may present themselves is like worrying about the next comet, imo.

If one has chronically ill person(s) in their house, that may be a different issue, but for us geezers in medium decent shape/condition, it simply is of little concern. Some neighbors, having aged, have moved lower; most of us stay...

My 50Cts.
GL, mD

Old 02-09-2016, 08:55 PM

Great post, mD. I knew you would have personal insight. Laurel Ridge is high on our list, but we drove UME last October. Loved it, tho it was farther from town. You say "brief" which means a week or less to me. Just thinking if my parents move in with us we may want to be below 3,500 in case of emergency. Always like your 50Cts.

Old 02-10-2016, 06:35 AM

4,793 posts, read 10,626,908 times
^ DN: We had 5 acres on UT Mtn for a year and a half...way up at the end of Ironwood Rd.

Had it topo mapped and perc'd and were about to pull the trigger for the initial build, but I realized we really wanted a stellar view, and that lot would have required serious tree removal/trimming. Then it would have been a west view looking at the dark/shadowed back of Cataloochee, so we kept looking and found Laurel Ridge and our 3+ acres way up above LRCC...

Yes, "brief" to me means week or less, and there have only been one or two times that it has been several days to a week, from fading memory.

The hunt for house/land offers many spots to consider; I wish you well in your decision.
GL, mD

Old 02-10-2016, 01:11 PM

Thanks. Much to consider because we like several areas. I'll be a pro before this is over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina