U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2016, 08:49 AM

6,537 posts, read 4,999,274 times

Advertisements

Chamber CEO: HB2 may end Buncombe chance at 500 jobs
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2016, 10:15 AM

105 posts, read 113,536 times
"Senate leader Phil Berger and House Speaker Tim Moore issued a statement that gave no hint of any changes to HB2. They blamed PayPal's decision on Charlotte Mayor Jennifer Roberts, Democratic gubernatorial nominee Roy Cooper "and the far-left Political Correctness Mob" that Berger and Moore said are spreading "misinformation" about HB2."

Strong is the denial in the NC GOP. To the dark side they have gone.
Is there hope for them?
Difficult to see.

Old 04-09-2016, 10:19 AM

2,421 posts, read 3,143,266 times
HB2, will cost NC despite what the governor says. In fact it already has. I am waiting for the NCAA to take action.

Old 04-09-2016, 09:32 PM

15,721 posts, read 10,813,944 times
NBA announced today the Governor/GA has 30 days to repeal the law or the NBA All-Star Game is being relocated out of NC.

Old 04-10-2016, 06:51 AM

5,127 posts, read 6,660,932 times
It has already cost NC.

PayPal, Google . . .

Lionsgate Films has pulled out of a pilot they were going to film in Charlotte and moved it to Canada.

Interior designers and furniture buyers around the country are talking about boycotting the High Point Furniture Market this month. This market happens twice a year and is a $5 billion dollar industry in NC.

Sports events are considering bypassing NC.

13 conventions have cancelled or decided against NC - 13 Conventions Have Canceled or Decided Against North Carolina Because of Anti-LGBT Law HB2 - The New Civil Rights Movement

Fortune 500 companies all around the U.S. oppose the new law.

Read it all here: HB2 push back | BlueNC

And then there's all the satire. NC has become laughingstock. NC reels as a national punch line after passage of HB2 | The Charlotte Observer

Forrest Gump says, "Stupid is as stupid does."

Old 04-10-2016, 09:39 AM

11,115 posts, read 17,544,935 times
Newsflash: Boycotting and threats work both ways.

Old 04-10-2016, 10:11 AM

578 posts, read 514,549 times
People are angry and they should be. The same state legislators who lambaste the federal government for overreaching are doing the same thing within their states and should let municipalities chart their own course. The NC politician blowhard(s) who stand up and say they are fine with businesses or conventions going elsewhere should be the first ones out the door when their constituents lose their concomitant businesses and jobs as a result of this legislation and resulting backlash. Shame on them. Biting the hands that feed them and to what end? They will not come out looking like heroes when the smoke clears no matter what they think. This will be a battle but it will ultimately be won and those who oppose progress in the way of equal rights will ultimately be relegated to a historical dust bin. We've seen it happen before and it will happen again in time. I'm a new NC resident, hugely disappointed with this law and somewhat embarrassed to claim this as my home now, given our very unflattering national/international exposure. But I'm not surprised. NC has historically been a politically moderate southern state, swinging somewhat left or right of center like a pendulum over time. That changed with the onset of the Tea Party and now we have a governor who has his head up his arse and his hand in Duke Energy's pockets among others. I believe this extreme arc of the pendulum will swing back - not fast enough for me but it will happen.

The upside for people who don't like all the transplants coming to WNC is this will probably slow that tide!!!

Old 04-10-2016, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLM2000 View Post
People are angry and they should be. The same state legislators who lambaste the federal government for overreaching are doing the same thing within their states and should let municipalities chart their own course. The NC politician blowhard(s) who stand up and say they are fine with businesses or conventions going elsewhere should be the first ones out the door when their constituents lose their concomitant businesses and jobs as a result of this legislation and resulting backlash. Shame on them. Biting the hands that feed them and to what end? They will not come out looking like heroes when the smoke clears no matter what they think. This will be a battle but it will ultimately be won and those who oppose progress in the way of equal rights will ultimately be relegated to a historical dust bin. We've seen it happen before and it will happen again in time. I'm a new NC resident, hugely disappointed with this law and somewhat embarrassed to claim this as my home now, given our very unflattering national/international exposure. But I'm not surprised. NC has historically been a politically moderate southern state, swinging somewhat left or right of center like a pendulum over time. That changed with the onset of the Tea Party and now we have a governor who has his head up his arse and his hand in Duke Energy's pockets among others. I believe this extreme arc of the pendulum will swing back - not fast enough for me but it will happen.

The upside for people who don't like all the transplants coming to WNC is this will probably slow that tide!!!

Except for shameless liberal Asheville, Western NC has always been the most conservative area of this beautiful State. Nothing wrong with traditional family values.

Old 04-10-2016, 10:54 AM

578 posts, read 514,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Nothing wrong with traditional family values.
Except when that's a red herring used to disenfranchise a segment of the population by enacting a law to address a problem that isn't a problem. There's a good chance you've already been in a dressing room or a bathroom stall and someone who has or is in process of transitioning is using a dressing room or a stall in the same facility. I am not the least bit worried about that person in the stall next to me - it's the straight, white guy who thinks he knows what's best for me and everyone else who scares the crap out of me - but that's not a topic we'll ever see eye to eye on and that's ok. I find there's more than a bit of irony in the creation of this law under the guise of 'protecting rights'.

Old 04-10-2016, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLM2000 View Post
Except when that's a red herring used to disenfranchise a segment of the population by enacting a law to address a problem that isn't a problem. There's a good chance you've already been in a dressing room or a bathroom stall and someone who has or is in process of transitioning is using a dressing room or a stall in the same facility. I am not the least bit worried about that person in the stall next to me - it's the straight, white guy who thinks he knows what's best for me and everyone else who scares the crap out of me - but that's not a topic we'll ever see eye to eye on and that's ok. I find there's more than a bit of irony in the creation of this law under the guise of 'protecting rights'.

There is no chance, has never been any chance, nor will there ever be that chance.

There is NO reason for someone to 'transition' in a restroom stall. None.

Since when were the words 'dignity' and 'self respect' taken out of the dictionary.

I know several gay people, couples, males, females, former clients, good friends, etc. They are all respectful, they like their privacy, and they don't flaunt their private lives or impose their choices on others or in public; and I respect them.

Bye now, this subject gives me agida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina