Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2016, 07:56 AM

730 posts, read 774,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
lmao if there are no jobs who cares about living there I swear people act like the appalachian mountains start and end in asheville, there are cool mountain towns from south carolina to new hampshire
But they don't have the Asheville area's climate and location which are very big draws; has 4 seasons, not too cold in the winter, but still cool in the summer. Readily available quality healthcare. An airport with direct flights to most of the country just two hours away; Charlotte. Another major metropolitan area, Atlanta, 3.5 hours away; which happens to have direct flights to much of the world. An easy 5-6 hour drive to the beach. Within a day's drive of pretty much every major metro area east of the Mississippi river. Has an arts, music, and food scene. You can see why the upper middle class and wealthy from major metro areas are so drawn to retiring in the Asheville area.

The Greenville, SC area is pretty much the only other place that competes in most of those areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2016, 07:23 AM

19 posts, read 26,558 times
I just looked at home prices in Asheville compared to the rest of the general area as a job opportunity came up. Way too expensive when home/land prices are approaching New Jersey levels.

Love the area but the other side of the range in Tennessee will allow me to get 2x the house for 1/3 the price and arguably better taxes. Asheville is nice, but not THAT nice.

Old 05-14-2016, 08:20 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,530,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddavidv View Post
I just looked at home prices in Asheville compared to the rest of the general area as a job opportunity came up. Way too expensive when home/land prices are approaching New Jersey levels.

Love the area but the other side of the range in Tennessee will allow me to get 2x the house for 1/3 the price and arguably better taxes. Asheville is nice, but not THAT nice.

Asheville is not the only place to live. There are several beautiful mountain towns within a 30 minute drive or less from downtown Asheville. (Asheville actually has 11 zip codes.) When looking for property here or even in TN, it is best to search by county.

Old 05-16-2016, 08:51 PM

12,881 posts, read 18,736,837 times
One of the characters on Bravo's South Charm tonight called Asheville "Mountain Charleston." The cast did an Appalachian excursion on tonight's episode. So I guess Asheville's housing prices reflect an appropriateness to his statement.

Old 05-17-2016, 11:55 AM

677 posts, read 1,072,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clever nickname here View Post
But they don't have the Asheville area's climate and location which are very big draws; has 4 seasons, not too cold in the winter, but still cool in the summer. Readily available quality healthcare. An airport with direct flights to most of the country just two hours away; Charlotte. Another major metropolitan area, Atlanta, 3.5 hours away; which happens to have direct flights to much of the world. An easy 5-6 hour drive to the beach. Within a day's drive of pretty much every major metro area east of the Mississippi river. Has an arts, music, and food scene. You can see why the upper middle class and wealthy from major metro areas are so drawn to retiring in the Asheville area.

The Greenville, SC area is pretty much the only other place that competes in most of those areas.
I'm constantly surprised at the lack of attention Johnson City receives from those looking to move to Asheville and the surrounding region. Pretty much all of these things could also apply to JC. Then there is the added benefit of a mid-sized university (ETSU) and the college town atmosphere it provides. Johnson City doesn't have the arts and food scene of Asheville but it's not terrible and we're making progress. The music scene here is surprisingly good.

Overall, that funky vibe found in Asheville and much of Western NC bleeds over some into Johnson City but Northeast TN still flies under the radar somewhat. Asheville and Greenville have been been discovered; we're still waiting for our turn.

Old 05-17-2016, 02:49 PM

730 posts, read 774,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerred View Post
I'm constantly surprised at the lack of attention Johnson City receives from those looking to move to Asheville and the surrounding region. Pretty much all of these things could also apply to JC.
I'm going to say climate. Both winter and summer are longer and summer highs are 10-15 degrees higher on average than Asheville and 5-7 degrees over Greenville. Both Asheville and Greenville have around 10% more sunny days than JC.

Last edited by Clever nickname here; 05-17-2016 at 02:59 PM..

Old 05-18-2016, 10:30 AM

51,651 posts, read 25,790,245 times
Friend is house hunting in Hendersonville and astounded at the prices. Ranches and split-levels are $300K.

According to the realtor that was showing her around, people sell their homes in the Northeast for half a million and think that this is a bargain.

She's thinking of building but doesn't know any quality building contractors in the area. If anyone does, please DM me.

Old 05-18-2016, 10:46 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,405,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post

Friend is house hunting in Hendersonville and astounded at the prices. Ranches and split-levels are $300K.

According to the realtor that was showing her around, people sell their homes in the Northeast for half a million and think that this is a bargain.
If you could take a time machine back to 1990, Asheville was an incredible bargain. Dirt cheap. Tourists came for the mountains, but didn't stay.

The influx of people from elsewhere with deeper pockets changed the place. Of course, the influx was driven by the transformation of downtown Asheville, which had turned into a ghost town.

Before the mall was built, downtown was not crowded, but definitely pleasant and bustling. My parents took me in the 1960s and downtown was thriving. When I saw it again in 1992, everything was boarded up. I guess renaissance has a price.

Old 05-18-2016, 11:05 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,530,348 times
Quote:

She's thinking of building but doesn't know any quality building contractors in the area. If anyone does, please DM me.

Unless they are retiring with a decent income, we recommend that they find a j.o.b. first before moving here. The pay scale is also 40% less than the northeast. Everything is relative. We don't have the northeast taxes either.

There are decent homes in the Hendersonville area for the mid $200's, some may be a little dated, but those will also be in the nicer areas. They're not going to find cheap land here, and the costs of building from the ground up will be higher. The quality building contractors are not building on the cheap. There are some new developments 'out east' on Rt. 64 they might want to look into; and plenty of nice subdivisions. If you want to DM me I will give you a few names of very good builders (as well as the ones to stay away from). What is their price range ?

Old 05-18-2016, 08:23 PM

8,103 posts, read 6,745,378 times
Quote:

This is true. I sold an apartment building in a high crime area in Brooklyn and was able, through a 1031 exchange, to buy 3 houses in the best neighborhood of Asheville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina