U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2016, 02:45 PM

73 posts, read 59,831 times

Advertisements

Reflecting what many on this forum have said the past couple years, a new study reports that

"Housing prices are rising much more quickly than wages in the Asheville metro area. Experts agree this is negative, but they don't know what the ultimate consequences will be...
...The report released last month also listed the Asheville metro as eighth-worst in the country in terms of housing-market health decline during 2015 — ranking just above Boulder, Colorado, and Santa Fe, New Mexico.

Austin, Boulder and Santa Fe all are cities often named by longtime area residents as places they hope Asheville never resembles, particularly because only the affluent may afford to live there....

National study finds Asheville housing market unsustainable
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2016, 03:54 PM

2,586 posts, read 2,237,263 times
lmao if there are no jobs who cares about living there I swear people act like the appalachian mountains start and end in asheville, there are cool mountain towns from south carolina to new hampshire

Old 05-10-2016, 09:16 PM

4,067 posts, read 7,306,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
lmao if there are no jobs who cares about living there I swear people act like the appalachian mountains start and end in asheville, there are cool mountain towns from south carolina to new hampshire
.. and elsewhere in WNC.

Old 05-11-2016, 09:02 AM

1,620 posts, read 2,574,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
The entire WNC area is nice, but as one who is planning to retire from my current job in ten years and move to the S. Appalachians, I've looked at areas outside of Asheville as I hear the housing is just costly. Unless something happens it looks like Knoxville metro area will be where we end up if we are able to go. We will still need jobs and with our current skill set, we will likely take significant pay cuts, but it seems like we can likely at least find halfway decent employment more so in the Knoxville area than Asheville. Driving a couple of hours to do things in WNC isn't a big deal to me.

Old 05-11-2016, 11:11 AM

2,393 posts, read 2,962,647 times
Been in a bubble for a couple + years. If you bought recently, you may have bought at the top of the market.

Old 05-11-2016, 04:01 PM

11,116 posts, read 16,807,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indy_317 View Post
The entire WNC area is nice, but as one who is planning to retire from my current job in ten years and move to the S. Appalachians, I've looked at areas outside of Asheville as I hear the housing is just costly. Unless something happens it looks like Knoxville metro area will be where we end up if we are able to go. We will still need jobs and with our current skill set, we will likely take significant pay cuts, but it seems like we can likely at least find halfway decent employment more so in the Knoxville area than Asheville. Driving a couple of hours to do things in WNC isn't a big deal to me.

Ten years is pretty much a complete cycle in the real estate world. Planning more than 2 years out can be a waste of time actually. Life can change considerably in ten years, or less.

Old 05-11-2016, 08:28 PM

6,555 posts, read 5,042,960 times
Lol, I get a kick out of these gloom and doom market forecasts.
Strong sellers' housing market seen in Asheville, Buncombe

Old 05-11-2016, 08:38 PM

11,116 posts, read 16,807,605 times
^^^ Yes, very accurate assessment AAB. Here in Hendersonville we are seeing home prices up exponentially. Where the average is now in the area of $375K for a 3BR, 2BA home in Asheville, median prices in Hendersonville, Mills River, Flat Rock etc. are close to $275K; lower than that may need work or lack some other desirability. Tract homes on a slab are edging toward $300K in some areas because they are newer, have good sq. footage of living area, garage(s), and located with good highway access to Asheville. Condominiums under $200K aren't staying on the market more than a week. It's all a matter of supply and demand. Economics 101.

Old 05-11-2016, 09:23 PM

2,089 posts, read 3,941,120 times
Husband does commercial mortgage underwriting. He says the market is set to crash again due to the loans that were made right after the crash with low rates coming up to their amortization. Don't know anything more as I'm the biologist not the finance guru but he made a good point and his industry is expecting it within 2 or so years. We shall see.

On another note I do find the price homes are selling alarming here. Just in our neighborhood One home was flipped. Granted it was a nice flip but they paid 160k, sold for 440k! Another 1200sq home in our neighborhood just sold for 260k! Ours is 1800 and much nicer. We bought it at 210k. A similar home just went up and they are asking 290k.

Old 05-12-2016, 08:49 AM

5,128 posts, read 6,394,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post

It's all a matter of supply and demand. Economics 101.
It wasn't a matter of supply and demand that drove us to the cliff of the housing collapse.

Our economy is too controlled by the federal reserve for anything to be that simple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina