Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2008, 09:54 AM

47 posts, read 152,128 times

Advertisements

We currently live in Michigan and my husband is considering a career change. There is a job available for him in Bat Cave. How are the schools? I am a special education teacher and I will need to find a new teaching job. My sons are 12 and 10 and we want to make sure that they will be happy as well. Both of them like to play sports.

Anything that you can tell me about the area will be helpful!

Thanks!
Leisa
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2008, 11:09 AM

5,660 posts, read 26,995,797 times
Interesting post. Although I live around 10 miles from the unincorporated community of Bat Cave (pop. 176), I never knew they had anything there other then some residences and a post office. I'm not aware of any community schools or employment either. The Hickory Nut Gorge area is basically mountain wilderness with some tourism and summer vacation/retirement homes. Asheville (pop. 70K) is around 20 miles and Hendersonville (pop. 11K) is around 15 miles from Bat Cave.

Last edited by mm34b; 02-15-2008 at 11:31 AM..

Old 02-15-2008, 01:19 PM

70 posts, read 227,344 times
Default Bat Cave

Bat Cave is beautiful, and just a hop and skip from Lake Lure. It is a bit of a trek to about anything else. A trip to look around is in order. I am in Lake Lure. If you need any help in the process, let me know. I can email some pics if you want.
MM

Old 02-15-2008, 07:12 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,694,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spedteach View Post
We currently live in Michigan and my husband is considering a career change. There is a job available for him in Bat Cave. How are the schools? I am a special education teacher and I will need to find a new teaching job. My sons are 12 and 10 and we want to make sure that they will be happy as well. Both of them like to play sports.

Anything that you can tell me about the area will be helpful!

Thanks!
Leisa
Bat Cave is beautiful for the 20 seconds it takes you to drive thru it, LOL. Really, it is a blip on the road - can't imagine what jobs are actually there?

I believe any children in the area go into Hendersonville to go to school - about a 30 minute drive. Don't get me wrong, this is really pretty countryside, but that's mostly all it is - countryside. Best of luck to you.

Old 02-16-2008, 08:33 AM

1,160 posts, read 4,244,255 times
Fairview and Hendersonville are where you might want to live, both have schools and communities. They are both within, oh, 20 minutes of Bat Cave, altho some parts of Fairview are farther away. The way Bat Cave works is, it's halfway up a mountain to Lake Lure. You can tell the mountain by the brown area in the picture in one of the above posts. At the bottom of the mountain are the valley areas of Fairview and Hendersonville. Bat Cave is so steep you can barely park a car up there, altho there are a couple businesses with Gerton (near Bat Cave) as an address.

Fairview is considered part of Asheville, it's rural and kind of spread out. You drive out of Asheville heading south along 74, thru the Fairview area, on up the mountain thru Bat Cave to Lake Lure, which is a vacation type area. Hendersonville is merely close to Asheville, considered its own town. You get to Bat Cave from Hendersonville going east on 64, altho the west side of Hendersonville is where most people live. It is more developed than Fairview, closer to Bat Cave, more shopping, housing, all levels of schools.

Old 02-17-2008, 03:20 PM

47 posts, read 152,128 times
The job actually might not be in Bat Cave, but that name is so unique that I remembered it. It is the area though.

Are there nice places to camp there? We might have to live in our travel trailer while searching for a house.

Thanks!

Old 02-17-2008, 04:24 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,694,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spedteach View Post
The job actually might not be in Bat Cave, but that name is so unique that I remembered it. It is the area though.

Are there nice places to camp there? We might have to live in our travel trailer while searching for a house.

Thanks!
Yes, there is camping in the area - look for Hickory Nut Falls Campground online. If you reserve far enough ahead ask for a site on the river - THAT is an awesome way to sleep This is a rushing trout filled river with big boulders in it - very beautiful.

Old 02-23-2008, 03:54 AM

5 posts, read 32,826 times
Hendersonville needs good special education teachers! We are actually considering moving our 1st grader (contained classroom) up to Buncombe County schools because he can't get the assistance he needs...his classroom is overcrowded, and he desperately needs 1:1 assistance. You might get lucky and land a job right away.

As far as school sports, definitely Hendersonville or Fairview. Bat Cave is just an area to drive through, really. Not fun in the wintertime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina