Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 09:33 AM

1,912 posts, read 3,224,804 times

Advertisements

I miss them! Hope all is well! Annie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2008, 10:03 AM

5,660 posts, read 27,001,034 times
Last Activity: Today 12:11 AM

Old 11-06-2008, 10:19 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,721,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveLoveLaugh View Post
I miss them! Hope all is well! Annie
I bet they are just too busy enjoying the beautiful fall weather in their new hometown of Asheville to bother posting

Old 11-07-2008, 12:01 AM

758 posts, read 2,287,725 times
HA HA! City-Data is my "home" page (therefore frequent "activity"). TODAY, "Where are the Parkies?" jumped right out and smacked me in the nose! (Thanks, LiveLaughLove.)

I'm sorry, friends. I have thought of you more than you know! And NO, lovesMountains, it’s not that we’re too busy pleasuring ourselves to “bother” posting. Nothing of the sort—HA HA.

There’s WAY too much to share now. Here are some highlights:

San Diego to Hendersonville to Asheville to Major Remodeling, all within a year (since 10/07).

What we wanted: remodeling “a few things” as quickly as possible... which turned into remodeling EVERYTHING in this 2500 sq. ft. house except the windows and a fireplace.

What we got: health problems--picture me with a broken foot caring for a man with a broken neck—while I’m supervising workmen in every room of the house--and you have the idea....

Where we are now: A-okay with our health, thanks be to God!— still in deep doo-doo with the house, though still progressing faster than ever dreamed, even faster than we can keep up with it...!

Priorities: Church & Music: Determined that Health and House are not Life Itself, have been consumed with church-related music on my hammered dulcimer (one rehearsal, three services each week)... have also never stopped teaching music two afternoons a week... have just today created a beautiful new dulcimer trio to volunteer for Christmas events this December in both Black Mountain and Asheville.... [If you know of non-profit worthy causes for whom we might play in those towns, please PM me!]

Priorities: Social and Political: Friends are of course more important than health or house, but even they have had to wait until we could reach them. One of them has a daughter (our god-child) just engaged to be married, another just lost a father, and a third recently suffered a heart attack. We have had to share our friends’ joys and griefs while anwering emails, telephones, and door bells, and directing crews. Not our favorite year.

We have done our best to study our choices for President, Vice-President, and even local offices—and then for the first time in our lives, we didn’t even get to vote. We finally got to the polls just as they were closing. (In CA, where we come from, they close at 8:00. Here they close at 7:30.)

So we haven’t had time for City-Data, but that doesn’t mean we haven’t thought of you... and longed for the day when we could share some quality time with you AT LEISURE.........

Love,

Jan (and Bill)

Old 11-07-2008, 08:28 AM

1,912 posts, read 3,224,804 times
Hi Jan (and Bill) Winters coming and hopefully you'll have some more time for us!!!!! You have been missed! Glad your health problems are resolved, I didn't realize you were doing so much remodeling...is it cosmetic or more? I am happily settled in my farmhouse (boy, lol, talk about remodeling, I replaced the foundation, roof and everything in between) I am truly looking forward to my 2nd winter! WHEEEE!!!! I still pinch myself! Love, Annie

Old 11-08-2008, 06:47 PM

We gutted a kitchen and changed out most of what was in the three bathrooms, re-designed the laundry room to add a wet bar and armoire, totally redesigned a large office/family room, moved one wall, and are landscaping a largely bare 3/4 acre lot in spring and fall stages--so--yes, LiveLoveLaugh--it's been a major remodel like yours!! Then there's all that paint, wallpaper, furniture, furnishings, accessories, all the way down to dishes, pots, and pans.... But we should move into our new kitchen and master bath and bedroom by Thanksgiving, and should be finished with all of the rest of the big stuff by Christmas.... What a gift!--Oh my!

Love,
Jan

Old 11-08-2008, 07:34 PM

2,766 posts, read 5,520,710 times
Great to hear from you. I was thinking aout you and Father John the other day. I started to look up when you last posted but ran out of time since we had to go to FL for a week. Just got back home yesterday.
How did you get a broken foot and hubby get a broken neck?
Lorriem

Old 11-09-2008, 01:30 PM

l broke my foot in an electric foot massager that works really well. It squeezes the foot and feels great. But I "leaned into" it to maximize its effect, and snapped a metatarsal. Hobbled around for about two months before I could begin to walk normally again.

Bill did something just as ridiculous. He bowled. That's all. He bowled. But he bowled three games for three consecutive weeks, and each week his neck and shoulder area hurt more. He stopped bowling. Too late. He doesn't use proper form. He delivers the ball practically standing straight up and *lofts* it down the lane. As a result, he *stretched* nerves across his neck and shoulder blade, with pain running down his arm as well. The doctor finally figured it out. Pain from stretched nerves is excruciating. Stretched nerves heal--but very, very slowly. He was in agony for three months!

It didn't help that my bad foot and Bill's bad neck came at the same time, and just as we launched an intensive remodeling project while living in it. It was like designing the plane while flying it, with a broken wing and cockpit.

No more bowling for Bill...! No more foot massager for me!

Old 11-09-2008, 02:11 PM

2,766 posts, read 5,520,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the Parkies View Post
l broke my foot in an electric foot massager that works really well. It squeezes the foot and feels great. But I "leaned into" it to maximize its effect, and snapped a metatarsal. Hobbled around for about two months before I could begin to walk normally again.

Bill did something just as ridiculous. He bowled. That's all. He bowled. But he bowled three games for three consecutive weeks, and each week his neck and shoulder area hurt more. He stopped bowling. Too late. He doesn't use proper form. He delivers the ball practically standing straight up and *lofts* it down the lane. As a result, he *stretched* nerves across his neck and shoulder blade, with pain running down his arm as well. The doctor finally figured it out. Pain from stretched nerves is excruciating. Stretched nerves heal--but very, very slowly. He was in agony for three months!

It didn't help that my bad foot and Bill's bad neck came at the same time, and just as we launched an intensive remodeling project while living in it. It was like designing the plane while flying it, with a broken wing and cockpit.

No more bowling for Bill...! No more foot massager for me!

Its not funny but I am laughing since I would have done the same with the foot massager as you did. I will now know better. And poor Bill all from bowling. Hubby and I use to teach children how to bowl(never got paid for it) and that was the first thing we taught them was form. I was also in a morning ladies league and threw my first practice ball and felt a pain down my back. I thought to myself I can't say my back hurts and can't bowl so I threw another ball and the wind felt like it was sucked out of me. Quick trip to the hospital and x rays and my right lung had collapsed. I was in the hospital for a month since the so called doctor put the tube in wrong. Hubby had me transfered to a bigger hospital and they put the tube in right. I was home with in a week. I was also so young then just had turned 30.

We are just about done with our new home and I can't think of anything else that we need to do. We just need a greener lawn. The water Co said we can now water on Tuesday and Saturday and even wash our car in the driveway. So the lawn come summer should be in great shape.

Great seeing you post.
Lorrie

Old 11-09-2008, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorriem View Post
Its not funny but I am laughing since I would have done the same with the foot massager as you did. I will now know better. And poor Bill all from bowling. Hubby and I use to teach children how to bowl(never got paid for it) and that was the first thing we taught them was form. I was also in a morning ladies league and threw my first practice ball and felt a pain down my back. I thought to myself I can't say my back hurts and can't bowl so I threw another ball and the wind felt like it was sucked out of me. Quick trip to the hospital and x rays and my right lung had collapsed. I was in the hospital for a month since the so called doctor put the tube in wrong. Hubby had me transfered to a bigger hospital and they put the tube in right. I was home with in a week. I was also so young then just had turned 30.

We are just about done with our new home and I can't think of anything else that we need to do. We just need a greener lawn. The water Co said we can now water on Tuesday and Saturday and even wash our car in the driveway. So the lawn come summer should be in great shape.

Great seeing you post.
Lorrie
Well, aren't YOU a rip! Thanks for the laugh, Lorrie. Hey, I have an excellent electric foot massager that I paid, like, $250 for, and I'll sell it to you for a dollar if you'll promise not to "lean into it." I'm serious. PM me if you want it! I sure can't trust ME to use it properly!!

Have to explain why Bill lofts the bowling ball. He knows about proper form, he just can't do that any more because of his serious arthritis--he's lucky to tie his shoes!--which is why bowling is a ridiculous sport for him these days. But no matter. I think he should use that energy to rub my neck, anyway--

What an awful experience, Lorrie! especially at age 30! Surely your lung would have collapsed no matter (almost) what you were doing.... I wouldn't blame bowling for that one.... Am wondering what did cause that.... I mean, we don't often hear someone say, "My lung collapsed today." WHAT??

On a far more enjoyable page...... You're almost done with your new home, Lorrie?? Congratulations!!!! We hope to be there sometime (?) this year. Meanwhile, we're giving away dozens of top-quality long-stem roses from our garden because we have no place to put them in our house that wouldn't be totally ridiculous. Besides, I'm not sure we could even find a vase in that bizarre heap we call our garage!!

HA HA

Hey, no biggie. This, too, will pass...........

What's new with you, lovesMountains??

Thanks, Annie and all, for thinking of us! Annie, we just may have to camp out on the front door of your farmhouse this winter! You have tickled our curiosity bone, honey!! Do you do sweet tea??

Jan

Last edited by the Parkies; 11-09-2008 at 08:45 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina