Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2016, 09:00 AM

14,268 posts, read 18,941,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
According to the latest news reports, there is information that the fires may be the work of arsonists. Hope they get caught, soon.

I've read that too. I don't know the punishment for arson, but I hope it's severe. Offenders should be placed in a smoke filled, dark room in a prison for a long time.

Here's something from the Sylva Herald

[url]https://www.facebook.com/sylvaheraldnewspaper/?hc_ref=PAGES_TIMELINE&fref=nf[/url]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2016, 09:58 AM

2,061 posts, read 1,958,834 times
Default Rain tomorrow??

One of our weather apps has 40percent chance of rain, here. Here's hoping- fingers and toes crossed.

Old 11-12-2016, 10:03 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,547,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
I've read that too. I don't know the punishment for arson, but I hope it's severe. Offenders should be placed in a smoke filled, dark room in a prison for a long time.

Here's something from the Sylva Herald

https://www.facebook.com/sylvaherald...MELINE&fref=nf

Truly sad. Yes, these are cruel sickies and should be put away for a very long time. The terrible loss of property, and please remember the animals that are being affected or even killed in these fires. It breaks my heart. Over here near Brevard we have a lot of smoke wafting through our neighborhoods.

Old 11-12-2016, 06:59 PM

644 posts, read 670,686 times
I flew back here from Chicago today - been gone since early Wed am - my husband warned me about the smoke but as we flew in I was still shocked. Seeing it from the air is unnerving. And yet..... he saw 2 people throw lit cigarettes from their car windows yesterday in H'ville. People can be so stupid it's hard to imagine.

Old 11-12-2016, 08:36 PM
RVT

367 posts, read 771,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLM2000 View Post
I flew back here from Chicago today - been gone since early Wed am - my husband warned me about the smoke but as we flew in I was still shocked. Seeing it from the air is unnerving. And yet..... he saw 2 people throw lit cigarettes from their car windows yesterday in H'ville. People can be so stupid it's hard to imagine.
Last night I saw the same thing. People are unthinking.

Old 11-12-2016, 10:17 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,472,221 times
Here's an update from the most western counties. Found it from the Sylva Herald.

Regional wildfire roundup (4:40 p.m., Saturday):
Community Meeting:
Representatives from the Southern Area Incident Management Team and the U.S. Forest Service Nantahala Ranger District will provide an update on the current fire situation and will be available to answer questions at a community meeting tomorrow at 2 p.m. at Southwestern Community College in Bryson City (60 Almond School Road).
Incident Resources:
23 crews, 6 helicopters, 72 engines, 14 dozers, 3 water tenders, and 1,049 total personnel
Incident Summary:
Yesterday, fire behavior was moderate until late in the afternoon when two significant fire-related events occurred. Firstly, at approximately 1 p.m., a twenty-person crew, two engines, and a dozer responded to a new fire start-the Muskrat Valley Fire-on the north side of U.S. 64 approximately 4 miles west of Franklin. As of 6 p.m. the fire was approximately 20 acres. Night-shift crews conducted a firing operation along the highway and directly suppressed the fire elsewhere. It is approximately 100 acres. Secondly, at approximately 5 p.m. the Tellico Fire spotted over the eastern fireline and the Little Tennessee River. Firefighters responded quickly and worked through the night, constructing line around it and holding it at 90 acres.
Containment lines on the south and north sides of the Tellico Fire are established and holding, and the fire's spread has been stopped. Between the Tellico and Ferebee fires, structure-protection crews have successfully protected more than 100 residences directly in the fire's path over the past few days as they have facilitated the merging of the two fires. Starting tomorrow, they will be one fire and called the Tellico Fire. The western side of the Ferebee Fire is holding and secure along Highway 19. On the north side, the fire is now near the Nantahala Outdoor Center where firefighters have strengthened and improved the containment line by conducting a strategic firing operation.
On the north side of the Boteler Fire, crews completed fireline construction from Tate Gap east toward Joel Cove. They also constructed fireline directly at the fire's edge and from strategic areas away from the fire on the east side of Cold Branch Road subdivision. Firefighters spent a second day suppressing three fire starts that were detected Thursday night near Thunderstruck Brook, Tate Brook, and Fishprong Brook. Aircraft supported firefighting efforts with retardant and water drops. A transport truck hauling a dozer ran off the road and needed to be pulled out with a wrecker; no one was injured.
See the individual fire narratives below for detailed information on today's planned firefighting activities.
Weather and Fire Behavior: A high pressure system will result in stable weather for a couple days. Today will be mostly sunny, but light east winds (5-10 mph) will allow smoky conditions to persist. The maximum temperature will be near 60 degrees with a minimum relative humidity in the mid-20- to mid-30-percent range. Isolated showers are possible Sunday night.
Light winds, cooler temperatures, and higher relative humidity will moderate fire behavior today. If winds remain light, lingering smoke will shade the vegetation, reducing fire activity further and presenting firefighters with an opportunity to make significant fire-suppression progress. Fire activity will increase if the smoke dissipates and the sun heats and dries the vegetation. As more leaves drop, the possibility of reburn remains, making patrolling and monitoring a critical firefighting responsibility.
Road Closures, Evacuations, and Shelters:
Please follow our Facebook and Inciweb websites (links above) for the most up-to-date and accurate information. Many unofficial Facebook posts are distributing inaccurate information on road closures.
Swain County
Residents along the following closed roads are under a mandatory evacuation order: Big Dog Road, Gassaway Road, Licklog Road, Long Branch Road, Luther Bingham, Mason Road, Morgan Road, Northern Partridge Road, Silver Mine Road, East Silver Ridge Road, Wesser Creek Road, Wilkes Road.
Evacuation shelter: Swain County Senior Center is available if needed. Call Swain County Dispatch 828-488-2196 if you need shelter services.
Macon County
Residents along the following roads are under a mandatory evacuation order: Deweese Road and Partridge Creek Road. Tellico Road is also closed
Evacuation shelter: Macon County EMS Base, 1096 Junaluska Road, Topton, NC.
Clay County
Residents along the following roads are under a mandatory evacuation order: Ash Loop Road, Nelson Ridge Road
Roads are closed and residents are under a mandatory evacuation order in the following area: Cold Branch Road at its junction Nelson Ridge Road south to Highway 64 and then east to Pounding Mill Road. Highway 64 itself remains open.
Evacuation shelter: Clay County Senior Center, 196 Ritter Road, Hayesville, NC
Nantahala National Forest
Wesser Creek Trail is closed.
Chunky Gal Trail is closed.
Whitewater Falls Trail and portions of Foothills Trail are closed.
Appalachian Trail from the Nantahala River at Wesser south to Rock Gap Trailhead on Forest Road 67 is closed.
Standing Indian Campground is open.
Safety:
Motorists should use caution when driving roads and highways in the fire area. Some hazards that travelers may encounter are low visibility due to smoke, the presence of firefighters and equipment, and trees and rocks falling onto Highway 19 in the Nantahala Gorge.

Old 11-13-2016, 07:15 AM

1,998 posts, read 4,610,403 times
We're finally getting some moderate rain in Greenville - hopefully, it makes it way north - however, one of the local forecasters here (WYFF) stated early this morning that the NC mountains are even drier (than the Upstate) and may not receive any rain today.

Old 11-13-2016, 08:38 AM

2,103 posts, read 4,472,221 times
No rain yet in Arden.

Old 11-13-2016, 08:44 AM

1,324 posts, read 2,511,524 times
Overcast but no rain. We have taken the hose and connected to washer outlet to keep my rhodies alive. I use bio soap no additives so doesn't hurt them. Also on 10 acres not city. We have put buckets in the shower to catch water as it warms up for toilet flushing. This is so sad, animals showing up at what's left of the creek to drink.

Old 11-13-2016, 09:11 AM

1,998 posts, read 4,610,403 times
If you go to the Intellicast interactive radar - the bands of showers in GA/SC completely dissipate once they hit the NC line - amazing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina