Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2017, 08:35 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,476,200 times

Advertisements

Anyone know of local builders who will finance the construction phase of a home build? Im tried of the crappy overpriced options and having to fight. We just lost our dream home and I'm ready to just give up. Our budget is around 400k and we just can't find anything. I feel like that should be more then enough but it's apparently not these days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2017, 05:50 AM

212 posts, read 265,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saucystargazer View Post
Anyone know of local builders who will finance the construction phase of a home build? Im tried of the crappy overpriced options and having to fight. We just lost our dream home and I'm ready to just give up. Our budget is around 400k and we just can't find anything. I feel like that should be more then enough but it's apparently not these days.
I would avoid builder financing if possible. We had a lot of trouble finding a good construction loan, but we finally found HomeTrust bank and they have been WONDERFUL. We had a couple of flops before we found them and wasted some precious time that ended up going nowhere. The terms and process were a breeze and they've really made everything so easy for us. We worked with Lisa Hart, but I'm sure anyone over there would be great.

Old 08-07-2017, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evensen007 View Post
I would avoid builder financing if possible. We had a lot of trouble finding a good construction loan, but we finally found HomeTrust bank and they have been WONDERFUL. We had a couple of flops before we found them and wasted some precious time that ended up going nowhere. The terms and process were a breeze and they've really made everything so easy for us. We worked with Lisa Hart, but I'm sure anyone over there would be great.
What % down were you required to give if you don't mind me asking? Thanks!

Old 08-07-2017, 06:46 AM

526 posts, read 460,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evensen007 View Post
HomeTrust is awesome. Been using them for 15 yrs or so. Their turnover is the lowest of any bank I've ever used. All this time I may have used three tellers. The 1st loan woman retired yrs ago and the same person there since. They remember your name and will adjust int rates lower while you're drinking coffee over their desk. No one hundred signatures.

Old 08-07-2017, 07:59 AM

4,793 posts, read 10,625,569 times
+1 on Home Trust Bank...
At least for our local branch here in Waynesville; branch results may vary.

I did two construction loans, (for spec houses built with a builder partner), and dealt with local branch Prez.

I don't know of any of 'our local builders' that would carry the construction loan for a contracted party, while building.

I/we carried the construction loan as 'we' were the builder, but it was not under contract by a buyer during construction.

Hit your local HT and see what they have to say for a CL...
GL, mD

Old 08-07-2017, 09:01 AM

156 posts, read 147,826 times
we have discussed our loan with asheville savings... we own the land already and their process seemed pretty straight forward.

Old 08-07-2017, 09:06 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,099,144 times
I don't have any suggestions but I was going to ask, why wouldn't you get a construction loan? We've built in the past before and that is what we did.

We have been planning to build for over 3 years. I have a builder lined up that is very reasonable in price and quality. Surprisingly, I can't buy for what he's able to build. Our biggest challenge has been trying to find a suitable piece of land. The topography around is very steep. We are looking for something mostly level which is making it even harder. In your price range, it maybe easier for you. Our budget is much lower.

I know how frustrating this process is... .looking, looking, looking. Driving around to see lots, etc, etc. I hope it works out for you. Good luck.

Old 08-07-2017, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
I don't have any suggestions but I was going to ask, why wouldn't you get a construction loan? We've built in the past before and that is what we did.

We have been planning to build for over 3 years. I have a builder lined up that is very reasonable in price and quality. Surprisingly, I can't buy for what he's able to build. Our biggest challenge has been trying to find a suitable piece of land. The topography around is very steep. We are looking for something mostly level which is making it even harder. In your price range, it maybe easier for you. Our budget is much lower.

I know how frustrating this process is... .looking, looking, looking. Driving around to see lots, etc, etc. I hope it works out for you. Good luck.
After talking to our realtor we assumed it would be impossible for us as we don't have 20% down.

Old 08-07-2017, 10:17 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,099,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saucystargazer View Post
After talking to our realtor we assumed it would be impossible for us as we don't have 20% down.
What size house are you trying to build? Type of house? If you lowered your budget, would you have enough to put down? Just throwing some things out there. Maybe some ideas will come up.

Old 08-07-2017, 12:52 PM

789 posts, read 788,319 times
See what a bank and you can work out, not what a realtor thinks . Get squared away with your bank first.

Only took use most of 8 years with our limited free time around even knocking on doors and dealing with realtors to find some land to build our final home on that as nearly flat for 4 acres and I build homes ! It was not listed , found the owner thru tax info made contact and it worked for both of use .

What area are you looking to build in .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina