U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2017, 01:07 PM

1 posts, read 3,865 times

Advertisements

Hi!
We currently live in Charleston, SC and enjoy traveling to the BRM. We've been to Asheville, Boone, and West Jefferson. Other than visiting these few places, we really haven't explored too much. Hence the reason for this post.

We've loved our travel to the mountains so much, that we are considering investing in a rental property to which we can rent out our (mountain view) cabin to travelers, and be able to stay whenever we feel like we need a getaway.

What would be the best area for sure a venture? Thinking somewhere near Asheville, considering it seems to be a popular destination. Waynesville, Sylva and Brevard are on the radar.

Are any of these areas becoming more popular for renters? Is there somewhere not mentioned that is up and coming with investment potential? Real estate market differences?

Any help is appreciated, as this is a new idea.

Thanks so much!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2017, 07:02 AM

3,257 posts, read 2,269,235 times
I will weigh in from the perspective of a former vacation rental tenant. Pretty much any of the places you mentioned would be desirable, in my opinion. We stayed in the Brevard area (actually Rosman) and loved it. The proximity to the waterfalls of Transylvania County, Pisgah National Forest and Dupont State Forest was a huge plus. We also loved the town of Brevard.

We've stayed just outside of Boone a couple of times. We enjoyed being close to Blowing Rock, Boone and West Jefferson (Ashe County Cheese!!!). We also liked riding our bikes along Railroad Grade Road. This is an area that we will likely move to eventually.

We also stayed at a small place in Asheville. It was close to everything Asheville. We live in Canton now and Asheville doesn't really hold the charm for me that it does for others. I am more about being outside in nature rather than the beer and arts scene. We moved from Raleigh and I got enough of city life in the 30+ years I lived there. But I do know that there are plenty of people who would line up to stay in a mountain view home in close proximity to Asheville.

Old 09-01-2017, 08:56 AM

1,668 posts, read 2,331,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlove View Post
But I do know that there are plenty of people who would line up to stay in a mountain view home in close proximity to Asheville.
But from the prospective owner point of view, there is also a Huge supply of such places to rent.

To me a nice place to live in and a place to rent out are pretty incompatible.

Old 09-01-2017, 09:19 AM

38 posts, read 37,437 times
Hi there!

I spent much of my childhood visiting the Asheville & Boone areas, and my husband and I now own an investment property there...so hopefully I can share some of my experiences with both places .

First of all, Asheville has grown by leaps and bounds since I first visited 25 years ago. So many amazing farm to table restaurants, a great music and art scene, etc! I have yet to find a restaurant I didn't absolutely LOVE. It's a thriving city, but very much a liberal Mecca in a sea of the majority of red WNC towns. Totally fine with me, but some people don't expect the culture (for this Floridian growing up in a super liberal county, it's a walk in the park lol). We absolutely adore the creative vibe and passion for locally sourced food and talent. However, I would NEVER live in Asheville itself due to the high cost of living.

As for the Boone/West Jefferson area, I feel it's absolutely gorgeous and has amazing summer temps. A little more remote and smaller town feel than Asheville, and as a result not as much to do (in my opinion). Also don't get the friendly mountain hospitality vibe and variety of shops as much as I feel there is in Asheville, but other family members and friends have disagreed with me.

It honestly just depends on where you feel most comfortable and can really visualize yourself living. We feel that we have the best of both worlds in our newly purchased second home in Burnsville. The town very much has a New England feel and is so peaceful and laid back (check out its "dark sky" status), but only 30 mins from downtown Asheville (on the west side where we are) and an hour to Boone. A happy medium - if you will - and Burnsville area home prices are very inexpensive compared to the larger towns. We truly couldn't be happier and look forward to transitioning our second home into our first next summer. There is nothing like the tranquility and joy the mountains and I hope you find your own slice of heaven there!

Old 09-01-2017, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucctgg View Post
But from the prospective owner point of view, there is also a Huge supply of such places to rent.

To me a nice place to live in and a place to rent out are pretty incompatible.
I guess I am confused about what you are saying. There is a huge supply of vacation rentals in Asheville, but there is also a huge demand. I have no desire to live in Asheville, but I sure enjoyed vacationing there and based on the number of tourist that visit year 'round, I would say that that seems to be quite true for many.

Interestingly enough, we live in a nice place and have plans in the future to turn it into a vacation rental. Most people who come to visit immediately say that they think it will make a great vacation place due to our views and the climate here. I must be misunderstanding what you mean about a nice place to live being incompatible with a place to rent out.

Old 09-02-2017, 09:20 AM

231 posts, read 202,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlove View Post
I guess I am confused about what you are saying. There is a huge supply of vacation rentals in Asheville, but there is also a huge demand. I have no desire to live in Asheville, but I sure enjoyed vacationing there and based on the number of tourist that visit year 'round, I would say that that seems to be quite true for many.

Interestingly enough, we live in a nice place and have plans in the future to turn it into a vacation rental. Most people who come to visit immediately say that they think it will make a great vacation place due to our views and the climate here. I must be misunderstanding what you mean about a nice place to live being incompatible with a place to rent out.
I think they are saying that a place to rent out would be over run with renters and tourists. You wouldn't want to live there.

I tend to agree somewhat. We've been looking for a full time place to live in Boone. We're trying to avoid the big rental areas, although due to limited selection in homes for sale, we have need to resort to a rental area.

Old 09-02-2017, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postal77 View Post
I think they are saying that a place to rent out would be over run with renters and tourists. You wouldn't want to live there.

I tend to agree somewhat. We've been looking for a full time place to live in Boone. We're trying to avoid the big rental areas, although due to limited selection in homes for sale, we have need to resort to a rental area.
Gotcha. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina