Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2017, 10:58 AM

9,360 posts, read 14,103,620 times

Advertisements

And to think hurricane Irma was first thought to be heading from Tampa to Asheville! Now it is likely going toward western Tennessee. Congratulations on your double good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2017, 05:40 AM

251 posts, read 244,685 times
Congratulations! So happy for you to start your new adventure

Old 09-11-2017, 09:27 AM

96 posts, read 112,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flsky View Post
We closed on our home in Tampa Bay, FL on Wednesday and moved into our new home in Hendersonville yesterday. We are knee deep in boxes and trying to figure everything out.

As we are in unincorporated H'Ville I need to find a garbage/recycling sooner than later. Suggestions please

The move is bittersweet as we have a huge circle of friends in Tampa Bay who are preparing for the first major Hurricane to hit in decades. Our thoughts and prayers go to them for their safety.

Thanks to all who have helped and provided invaluable advice.

First night in our new digs.
Attachment 190077

I was thinking about you guys last week as the storm started to head that way. So glad to hear that everything worked out as planned!

Old 09-13-2017, 10:50 AM

24 posts, read 28,403 times
Quite envious of your relocation to Hendersonville. Hope you don't mind, but I sent you a PM for a possible realtor recommendation. We're also Tampa Bay area dwellers, and are planning a December visit to the area and wouldn't mind scouting a property or two while there. Cheers!

Old 09-13-2017, 03:37 PM

55 posts, read 62,594 times
We made it through the hurricane here in St. Pete. No damage, but no power for three days. I won't complain though, as we still have a house. It was quite an ordeal. Had to pack up so much, as we were worried about the surge on our canal.

FLSKY, I will dm you. We do have a realtor in Waynesville, but we are looking from North Georgia to Black Mountain. It will depend on inventory when we are ready to buy. I will take any tips you want to give!

mD, I hope your winter place faired well. We will be up in your neck of the woods around Oct 22. Two days in Franklin, three nights at Pisgah Inn, and two nights in Asheville. Jimmy says "Hello."

I'm so glad Hurricane Irma didn't mess with our retirement plans, and I'm glad you are enjoying Hendersonville. My grandparents had a place in Mountain Home; wonderful area!

Old 09-13-2017, 06:54 PM

4,789 posts, read 10,610,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dnicola View Post
We made it through the hurricane here in St. Pete. No damage, but no power for three days. I won't complain though, as we still have a house. It was quite an ordeal. Had to pack up so much, as we were worried about the surge on our canal.

mD, I hope your winter place faired well. We will be up in your neck of the woods around Oct 22. Two days in Franklin, three nights at Pisgah Inn, and two nights in Asheville. Jimmy says "Hello."

D, Glad your FL house came through in good shape!
Our FL joint did too, minus some special landscaping I have been doing the past few winters, but no damage to house.

Good friends in Naples, at our previous golf community there, are still no power/water/food, etc.

Irma was no fun here on our ridge, but I cannot imagine the mental anguish you all went through in FL, regardless of fortunate outcome, or not.

Wish we were here that Oct 22 weekend, but we are up in The Mitten for a multi year reunion of old fraternity bros, at the old U. Have a good house hunting trip; that weekend will be packed with Peepers...Tell Big Jimmy I say Hey, also!
GL, mD

Old 09-13-2017, 09:31 PM

55 posts, read 62,594 times
mD, Naples got it bad. So did our son's university, FGCU. I can't tell you how much mental anguish we went thru. All our retirement plans were in limbo. Most of my friends are still without power, but none are complaining because we still have homes. The response from Duke and other power companies has been tremendous. So glad your Venice home was in great shape. I can't imagine Irma on your ridge. The winds!

If your plans change or you want to meet midweek for dinner, let us know!

D
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina