Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2018, 02:39 PM

8,105 posts, read 6,783,757 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have a favorite range with 30 minutes of Asheville?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2018, 05:32 AM

789 posts, read 792,812 times
For pistol cartridge firearms OnTarget south of I-40 on 25a and near Unicoi TN is a forestry shooting range for handgun and rifle 25- 50 and 100 yards only .
Scioto WMA Firing Range - Unicoi, TN 37692

I can run my defensive drill and some fun plinking in my back yard but I'm in yancey county where noise of firearms being shoot is more normal .

Mountain range in Waynesville

If your looking to join a club try - Asheville Rifle and Pistol Club - Rifle and Pistol Range

How well we all like structured shooting ranges is up to each of us . I'll shoot occasionally at on target , more so at the TN forestry range around 7am but find little need for them over all .

Old 08-13-2018, 08:08 AM

8,105 posts, read 6,783,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardluk1 View Post
For pistol cartridge firearms OnTarget south of I-40 on 25a and near Unicoi TN is a forestry shooting range for handgun and rifle 25- 50 and 100 yards only .
Scioto WMA Firing Range - Unicoi, TN 37692

I can run my defensive drill and some fun plinking in my back yard but I'm in yancey county where noise of firearms being shoot is more normal .

Mountain range in Waynesville

If your looking to join a club try - Asheville Rifle and Pistol Club - Rifle and Pistol Range

How well we all like structured shooting ranges is up to each of us . I'll shoot occasionally at on target , more so at the TN forestry range around 7am but find little need for them over all .
Thanks for that info hardluk1! Have you taken any advanced instruction from anyone in the area? In particular I’m looking for AR training and advanced combat training on my Glock handgun.

Old 08-14-2018, 04:42 AM

I took my training courses back in florida when we lived there years ago but you might talk to Jeff at On Target about training center advise at least who to avoid ! If I was planning to take a class today I'm not sure where I go . Sorry . On Target has a Monday night match for pistol or if pistol carbines in a mini match and the APSA club might be of use to you .

Check out APSA for events - APSA | Asheville Practical Shooting Association - APSA - Asheville Practical Shooting Association

We do have a local shooting range over here where the above group hold monthly matches and a general range needs if it works for you .
PracticalShooting

If you have not visited Prices Creek General Store in west yancey county for most everything firearm related or Coppers Trading post a couple miles toward Burnsville you have to visit them .

Old 08-16-2018, 03:35 PM

92 posts, read 75,351 times
Default Shooting in the woods

We are moving down to the Weaverville area in the fall and I see there's no sportsman's club anywhere nearby for target shooting. I'm spoiled since my club in W. PA is minutes from home, dues are cheap and the range is never crowded on week days. Does anyone know if you can go into the Pisgah National Forest out past Barnardsville and set up a target and shoot? I know nothing of the laws in NC regarding shooting on public land.

Old 08-17-2018, 05:38 AM

I would not but if live in Barnardsville area if you have a couple acres you may be able to shoot at home ! I did list a couple places that might pass for sportsmans clubs for you and if its not close by I guess you should have bought a larger piece of rural property . Much of Buncombe county and some of the surrounding areas are a hub for that other political party mind set and those types don't even want a LE training center . I shoot some on my property and run my defensive drills there and do so with in our county's laws . But I also go to Unico Tn to shoot sometimes on a forestry range .

Old 08-18-2018, 09:38 AM

92 posts, read 75,351 times
Thanks hardluk but we will be in an HOA. I'll keep looking for a big piece of land nobody visits.

Old 08-18-2018, 12:25 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,554,534 times
The National Forests in North Carolina offers the following shooting ranges for public use:

https://www.fs.usda.gov/activity/nfs...8112&actid=106

NC Wildlife Resources Commission info:

https://www.ncwildlife.org/Outdoor-A...hooting-Ranges

Old 08-19-2018, 05:46 AM

We really do need a forestry range north of Asheville area !

Old 08-21-2018, 02:28 PM

376 posts, read 502,500 times
Theres moss knob (NFS range) between Cullowhee and franklin. Long drive but might be worth your while.

You do need a day pass or annual pass. I always get the annual pass. If you are lucky, there might not be anyone there.

But dont show up at 3PM on a Saturday expecting no one to be there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina