Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2018, 05:52 AM

642 posts, read 668,876 times

Advertisements

Yes yes yes! Thank you Bear Hunter. I have been sitting on my hands with this thread.

eta - I call it the China Syndrome. We all want to purchase as inexpensively as possible, everything from goods to food to services and then are shocked and outraged when items fall apart, food has toxins and workmanship sucks. Generally in life, you get what you pay for.

Last edited by DLM2000; 05-05-2018 at 06:14 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2018, 06:12 AM

526 posts, read 459,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLM2000 View Post
Yes yes yes! Thank you Bear Hunter. I have been sitting on my hands with this thread.
I just this spring stopped doing work for a very rich family here in the area. They are always very nice and treated me personally very good. They own a ton of land and rentals thru out the state as well as SC, Ga and Fla. When I went to get paid in the fall and I charge them less then most because they are as much friends as anything but when I sat down and went over every invoice one at a time line by line and in the end the person who pays who is the $$$ person asked would you take $12.00 an hour. I polity said no and walked out. At least 2 family members have now called me in the last week or so telling me this will never happen again, I said thank you but I'm good. Why they had to pay nearly $6000.00 for a furnace in one unit over the winter, mu contact would of been less, they now need at least one ht pump changed out and are getting prices in the $7,000.00 range, and a few other after the winter projects. At my age I have learned it's not worth the money or my time.
These people have easily half a million dollars in autos in their driveway, play golf twice a week all over the SE but want me to only have a Yugo and eat McD's with coupons. LOL

Old 05-05-2018, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bear Hunter View Post
I just this spring stopped doing work for a very rich family here in the area. They are always very nice and treated me personally very good. They own a ton of land and rentals thru out the state as well as SC, Ga and Fla. When I went to get paid in the fall and I charge them less then most because they are as much friends as anything but when I sat down and went over every invoice one at a time line by line and in the end the person who pays who is the $$$ person asked would you take $12.00 an hour. I polity said no and walked out. At least 2 family members have now called me in the last week or so telling me this will never happen again, I said thank you but I'm good. Why they had to pay nearly $6000.00 for a furnace in one unit over the winter, mu contact would of been less, they now need at least one ht pump changed out and are getting prices in the $7,000.00 range, and a few other after the winter projects. At my age I have learned it's not worth the money or my time.
These people have easily half a million dollars in autos in their driveway, play golf twice a week all over the SE but want me to only have a Yugo and eat McD's with coupons. LOL
Couldn't edit but this person may be him, they wanted to know how much each screw and nail was to the penny.

Old 05-05-2018, 04:18 PM

1,348 posts, read 791,472 times
Gee, Bear Hunter, seems you had an unnecessary mini-meltdown. This appears to be why:
1) You did not compute my prior post properly and your math is off.
2) Yes, for smaller jobs, there are independent contractors/handymen who still quote by the hour, and it makes sense that they do.
3) Perhaps you believe that $1000 to 1400 for 8 hours work of basic carpentry is right but, plenty of people, incl me, would beg to differ (which is why all the comments on here of people running into the same over-bids).
4) You were conflating all sorts of things that have occurred in your life onto what what I spoke of. That is an apples to pretzels comparison and, therefore, irrelevant.
5) The commentary about your rich customers was interesting. It seemed as if you were inferring that when they go buy gas for the car they should be paying $5 p/gallon instead of the going rate, since they're loaded. That's not how life works and that expectation is wrong.
6) Every mature adult understands that people need to make a living. It is a small percentage who have wildly unrealistic or unfair expectations. That small number of people shouldn't be conflated beyond what it is.

Old 05-05-2018, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel Crazy View Post
Gee, Bear Hunter, seems you had an unnecessary mini-meltdown. This appears to be why:

No melt down by me you are the one whining for having to pay someone more then $5.00 an hour. I explained clearly what it cost for most contractors.

Really my math is off? Not if you have a business it's right on unless you pay folks who don't pay taxes or have ins and down the list.

2) Yes, for smaller jobs, there are independent contractors/handymen who still quote by the hour, and it makes sense that they do.
3) Perhaps you believe that $1000 to 1400 for 8 hours work of basic carpentry is right but, plenty of people, incl me, would beg to differ (which is why all the comments on here of people running into the same over-bids).
Your Quote
Quote:
$360 labor - assuming $45 p/hr x 8 hours
$45.00 is no where near out of line if you subtract all I listed. Also you said this was 2-3 times normal!
Again even half of 22.50 then subtract all I wrote and they may owe you money.

Quote:
double/triple what the actual cost ought to be
4) You were conflating all sorts of things that have occurred in your life onto what what I spoke of. That is an apples to pretzels comparison and, therefore, irrelevant.
5) The commentary about your rich customers was interesting. It seemed as if you were inferring that when they go buy gas for the car they should be paying $5 p/gallon instead of the going rate, since they're loaded. That's not how life works and that expectation is wrong.

I never inferred no such thing. I said they shouldn't pay $12.00 an hour when the going rate is $65.00. You think they should only pay $5.00 just because they are rich?

6) Every mature adult understands that people need to make a living. It is a small percentage who have wildly unrealistic or unfair expectations. That small number of people shouldn't be conflated beyond what it is.

You cannot be this clueless to understand that the person charging $45.00 an hour don't make that, like the person making $20.00 an hour working for a company

So what did you make an hour, since you think others should make only a third or half of $45.00 then have subtract all I listed? Do you really think a business owner/person should really only make $12.00 with all the listed expenses?
My businesses have done be pretty well and can only remember maybe 3 folks who ever whined in 35 yrs and one was a freebee and he supplied the material, the other I removed a stat and gave the customer their money back because like you they only wanted to pay me the price of a Home Depot stat not a real one I installed. The third the banana after I was done decided he wasn't going to pay the contracted price because I worked to fast.
So have good luck with your Home Depot and Lowe's purchases.
Good Day

Old 05-05-2018, 08:59 PM

8,102 posts, read 6,744,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel Crazy View Post
The last 2 projects that were done at my place were a bathroom remodel, and a handyman who did odds and ends. Both charged by the hour.

Old 05-06-2018, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
The last 2 projects that were done at my place were a bathroom remodel, and a handyman who did odds and ends. Both charged by the hour.
Just curious, not knowing the specifics of your bath renovation how many hrs and what was the rate?
My last studs to paint 5'x8' new cast iron tub, vanity and elongated 17" toilet was in the $7,500.00 range and I bought everything (NO Home Depot or Lowe's material) from trash removal, & plywood to paint.

Last edited by The Bear Hunter; 05-06-2018 at 04:57 AM..

Old 05-06-2018, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Just curious, not knowing the specifics of your bath renovation how many hrs and what was the rate?
My last studs to paint 5'x8' new cast iron tub, vanity and elongated 17" toilet was in the $7,500.00 range and I bought everything (NO Home Depot or Lowe's material) from trash removal, & plywood to paint.

It’s was 131.5 hrs at $45 per hour. I provided all of the material and fixtures.

Old 05-06-2018, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
It’s was 131.5 hrs at $45 per hour. I provided all of the material and fixtures.
Wow three weeks+ for a bath must of been good size.

Old 05-06-2018, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Wow three weeks+ for a bath must of been good size.
It was a medium sized job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina