U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2018, 03:14 PM

13 posts, read 8,017 times

Advertisements

Am looking at a property near Hendersonville, which needs some wood work. In particular, the outside decking needs replacing (see attached photo). What's an average cost per square foot for replacing outside decking in the area? In this case, some decking is elevated, so supports would need to be replaced as well.

Also, the house has cedar siding from the early 80s on it that needs partial replacing. I'm thinking of going with a fiber cement type siding, perhaps Hardie. I understand that it would be painted as opposed to being stained. Does $10-13 / SF sound like the right average price for replacing the siding?

Thanks - want to figure out an offer price once we get a handle on the repair / upgrade costs.
Attached Thumbnails
Cost of House Repairs in Hendersonville-decking.jpg  
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2018, 04:30 PM

11,115 posts, read 17,791,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g1inskyms View Post
Am looking at a property near Hendersonville, which needs some wood work. In particular, the outside decking needs replacing (see attached photo). What's an average cost per square foot for replacing outside decking in the area? In this case, some decking is elevated, so supports would need to be replaced as well.

Also, the house has cedar siding from the early 80s on it that needs partial replacing. I'm thinking of going with a fiber cement type siding, perhaps Hardie. I understand that it would be painted as opposed to being stained. Does $10-13 / SF sound like the right average price for replacing the siding?

Thanks - want to figure out an offer price once we get a handle on the repair / upgrade costs.

Call a home inspector, your Realtor can guide you to a good honest inspector. He will know the approximate price(s); and if not, he can recommend someone. Your Realtor may also be able to recommend a contractor. If that house has some serious work to be done, you will also need an engineer to inspect the entire building, drainage, and so forth.

Properties in the area are selling quickly, so I would recommend you get on it asap if you want the house. A contractor or very handy buyer may snap it up -- there are thousands of guys around here that have the right to wear a tool belt.

Old 05-01-2018, 09:36 PM

7,462 posts, read 5,624,537 times
These days getting any contractor to do anything will take time and plenty of cash to do anything in Asheville. I’m thinking the same situation exists in Hendersonville?

Old 05-02-2018, 01:09 PM

13 posts, read 8,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Call a home inspector, your Realtor can guide you to a good honest inspector. He will know the approximate price(s); and if not, he can recommend someone. Your Realtor may also be able to recommend a contractor. If that house has some serious work to be done, you will also need an engineer to inspect the entire building, drainage, and so forth.

I'm operating at a distance here (from TX), and the Realtor is also the listing realtor for this house, so a bit of conflict of interest. I want to know a rough estimate to fix up, so that I can make a reasonable offer to the realtor for the house (the realtor is related to the owner of the house, further complicating things).

Old 05-02-2018, 01:30 PM

395 posts, read 405,338 times
Quote:
I'm operating at a distance here (from TX), and the Realtor is also the listing realtor for this house, so a bit of conflict of interest. I want to know a rough estimate to fix up, so that I can make a reasonable offer to the realtor for the house (the realtor is related to the owner of the house, further complicating things).
I made that mistake when moving here. It ended up costing me about $20,000 - $30,000. To buy a property without having your own realtor is extremely unwise for so many reasons. If you haven't signed anything with the realtor, I would get a buyer's realtor to represent your interests ASAP. I was in a huge rush to get a house since I was trying to land before the start of the new school year. I bought the house from pictures only. With the realtor representing both sides, she was of no help whatsoever, and was a terrible realtor anyway. I also had the very unfortunate fate of having a terrible home inspector who missed putting things on the report that were incredibly basic and very obvious. Big things. Costly things. Unfortunately, the most one can ever recover from suing an inspector is the fee one paid him/her.
Anyway, I sent you a PM with the name of an amazing realtor who knows her stuff, has been doing H'ville real estate for a couple of decades, and will have your back and then some. She will also be able to recommend reputable and knowledgeable repair people (another challenge in this area, I have found). A gold mine to have on your side.

Old 05-02-2018, 05:53 PM

11,115 posts, read 17,791,127 times
Quote:
There should be no conflict of interest, yet I certainly understand how people can draw that conclusion. So many people don't trust Realtors, and I won't get into it on this forum. I was a Realtor here in his area for about 9 yrs. until 2011, and 22 or so years in New England. It has only been in the past 6 or 7 years that a licensed agent can represent both parties. And, the Realtors don't like it either but it is now NC law as well as in other states. You should definitely get another agent, even if he/she is in the same office, to be your exclusive Buyer's Agent. Tell the broker/manager that you don't feel comfy with what is legally called 'dual agency' and you will be re-assigned to 'your own' agent. The fact that the agent is related to the seller makes it doubly uncomfortable for you, I totally understand.

Point: when you found the listing, no matter how you found it, there should have been a disclosure written on the MLS listing for the public, that states "Listing agent is related to Seller". If that was a red flag for you, you should have asked for another agent at the time.

Do what makes you feel best, this is a huge transaction for you, no matter the price. Best wishes.

Old 05-03-2018, 01:43 PM

1,348 posts, read 693,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
These days getting any contractor to do anything will take time and plenty of cash to do anything in Asheville. I’m thinking the same situation exists in Hendersonville?
g1inskyms -- You need to pay particular heed to what Bear is saying. Big time!

Both myself and at least 3 friends, in the last couple years, have tried sourcing contractors for a variety of home projects and, listen very closely, IF you can even get them to bid you.....the bid will come in double to triple what it ought to cost!! Over and over, I've experienced that and so have others. The law of supply and demand is very much in the contractors favor in Western NC right now.

Bottomline - you can get contractors, maybe even decent ones, but you will pay triple the price to get them over what the job would cost in many other regions. It's a bummer.

Old 05-03-2018, 02:51 PM

1,649 posts, read 2,270,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukasage View Post
I made that mistake when moving here. It ended up costing me about $20,000 - $30,000. To buy a property without having your own realtor is extremely unwise for so many reasons. If you haven't signed anything with the realtor, I would get a buyer's realtor to represent your interests ASAP. I was in a huge rush to get a house since I was trying to land before the start of the new school year. I bought the house from pictures only. With the realtor representing both sides, she was of no help whatsoever, and was a terrible realtor anyway.

Not many people would ever buy a home sight unseen.

Old 05-03-2018, 05:15 PM

12,458 posts, read 29,740,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
Isn't that the truth.

Old 05-03-2018, 05:30 PM

1,553 posts, read 2,257,603 times
Prepare yourself for the contractor game, the local boys know how to tuck it to you, that is
if you get a call back, let alone if or when they will show up to look/bid the job, from my experience, there on mountain time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina