Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2018, 07:54 AM

21,035 posts, read 27,486,882 times

Advertisements

Airbnb unveiled its top ten most hospitable cities in the United States for 2017-2018 on Friday, 4 May. Being "warm", "helpful", and "inviting", Asheville, North Carolina, ranked first.

Further reading
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2018, 07:30 PM

1,348 posts, read 796,671 times
Well, that's fairly hilarious given, to my understanding, Airbnb rentals are still legally verboten within the city of Asheville, in most circumstances. My guess is that Airbnb used the metro area in their evaluation not purely AVL city limits.

All the others listed are city names so they weren't going to say: Western North Carolina and have readers go, huh?

P.S. FYI, Airbnb stays are great -- until they aren't. When you have a problem with a host big enough to want to get Airbnb involved....I wish you good luck.

Old 05-09-2018, 09:04 PM

21,035 posts, read 27,486,882 times
If Airbnb was looking beyond the City of Asheville, it would need to be specific in a broader area.

Old 05-10-2018, 04:29 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,444,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel Crazy View Post
Well, that's fairly hilarious given, to my understanding, Airbnb rentals are still legally verboten within the city of Asheville, in most circumstances. My guess is that Airbnb used the metro area in their evaluation not purely AVL city limits.
Most Airbnb rentals involve renting of a portion of one's house, with the owner also being on site during the rental period. This is legal in Asheville. What is mostly illegal in Asheville is renting out an entire house, when the owner is not present.

Old 05-15-2018, 08:38 AM

366 posts, read 1,019,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
Most Airbnb rentals involve renting of a portion of one's house, with the owner also being on site during the rental period. This is legal in Asheville. What is mostly illegal in Asheville is renting out an entire house, when the owner is not present.
I would venture to say that most Airbnb rentals are not the legal homestays and have no owner present. That being said, I support making the owner not present rentals legal but only when it's their primary residence. I'm staunchly opposed to making a home primarily an STR on Airbnb but I'll shut up now so as not to turn this into another thread on the merits (or lack there of depending on where you stand) of Airbnb.

Old 05-21-2018, 07:24 AM

307 posts, read 225,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel Crazy View Post

All the others listed are city names so they weren't going to say: Western North Carolina and have readers go, huh?

P.S. FYI, Airbnb stays are great -- until they aren't. When you have a problem with a host big enough to want to get Airbnb involved....I wish you good luck.
I don't think they are forbidden unless you can produce a link to show us. I lived in an OA where the restrictive agreement did forbid this but the grrrrrrr board didn't care. But left the state and it no longer matters. Had a friend on the board (a woman amongst way too many males) who pointed this out.

Old 05-21-2018, 01:27 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,444,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDWNC View Post
I don't think they are forbidden unless you can produce a link to show us. I lived in an OA where the restrictive agreement did forbid this but the grrrrrrr board didn't care. But left the state and it no longer matters. Had a friend on the board (a woman amongst way too many males) who pointed this out.
As stated above, Asheville essentially disallows short term, whole house rentals in residentiai zoned areas:

"The city (and Buncombe County) initially began to regulate STR use to help curb its affordable housing crisis, which developed in part due to an increased demand for STRs in residential neighborhoods. Asheville decided to restrict the rental of entire dwelling units (sometimes called “whole-house” STRs) to those zones that allow “lodging facilities,” like hotels and motels. This means that the homeowner or permanent resident (a.k.a. the host) may not rent out his/her entire home in a residential district. This ban has been extremely controversial, but it remains in place as of now.

The city also regulates STRs that involve home-sharing situations called “homestays.” A homestay allows the host to rent individual rooms within his/her residence for overnight lodging for a term not to exceed thirty days. A homestay host must apply for a permit, pay an annual $208 registration fee, make the property available for inspection, and agree not to rent more than two bedrooms in the dwelling unit simultaneously. Hosts must also remain on-site during the homestay (e.g. no overnight travel allowed). Hosts who violate the whole-house or homestay regulations are subject to a $500 per night fine. The city now uses an independent company to identify violations."

https://canons.sog.unc.edu/airbnb-gold-rush-whats-city/

Other articles:

https://mountainx.com/news/asheville...-term-rentals/
City of Asheville cracking down on illegal short-term rentals | WLOS
https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...cation-rentals

Old 05-21-2018, 04:14 PM

1,348 posts, read 796,671 times
Quote:
As stated above, Asheville essentially disallows short term, whole house rentals in residentiai zoned areas:

"The city (and Buncombe County) initially began to regulate STR use to help curb its affordable housing crisis, which developed in part due to an increased demand for STRs in residential neighborhoods. Asheville decided to restrict the rental of entire dwelling units (sometimes called “whole-house” STRs) to those zones that allow “lodging facilities,” like hotels and motels. This means that the homeowner or permanent resident (a.k.a. the host) may not rent out his/her entire home in a residential district. This ban has been extremely controversial, but it remains in place as of now.

The city also regulates STRs that involve home-sharing situations called “homestays.” A homestay allows the host to rent individual rooms within his/her residence for overnight lodging for a term not to exceed thirty days. A homestay host must apply for a permit, pay an annual $208 registration fee, make the property available for inspection, and agree not to rent more than two bedrooms in the dwelling unit simultaneously. Hosts must also remain on-site during the homestay (e.g. no overnight travel allowed). Hosts who violate the whole-house or homestay regulations are subject to a $500 per night fine. The city now uses an independent company to identify violations."
Yep, good info. Asheville is quite particular about Airbnb/HomeAway-type stays and has numerous restrictions, as evidenced above. So, does NYC, San Fran and Santa Monica, etc. while huge parts of America have none at all....so far.

Old 05-22-2018, 06:06 AM

307 posts, read 225,932 times
Quote:

https://canons.sog.unc.edu/airbnb-gold-rush-whats-city/

Other articles:

https://mountainx.com/news/asheville...-term-rentals/
City of Asheville cracking down on illegal short-term rentals | WLOS
https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...cation-rentals
This is great. Thanks. We were in South Asheville (not within city limits).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
View detailed profiles of: