Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2018, 05:57 AM

3,441 posts, read 2,789,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLM2000 View Post
The saddest part of this to me is the young people (native or not) are being pushed out of the area. The combination of HCOL in all aspects but certainly in housing, low wages and lack of variety in job opportunities feeds stagnation for those who are here. Those moving here (myself included) who can afford to buy housing cannot sustain the region since we're not replacing the younger generation that's leaving. It's a huge problem, not unique to WNC but nonetheless something that must be dealt with.
I think there is a different mindset in the younger people in the area. When I was in my early 20s and living in Wake County, I drove 27 miles each way to my job. I lived in Apex before it became what it is now. Back then, it was country and I lived in a singlewide. Because that's what I could afford. We didn't go out to eat, matter of fact, it was the highlight of our week when we had pizza night on Wednesday nights. We didn't complain about the commute because we knew we couldn't afford to live in Raleigh at that point in our lives (we were able to later on as we both created and moved up in our careers). Mostly what I hear from the younger people in Asheville are complaints about how they can't afford to live in West Asheville or downtown Asheville. When looking for places to rent, they insist that they need to be within walking distance of the nightlife. I guess because I've always been a country girl, living right in the midst of the hustle and bustle has never appealed to me, which is why I live in Haywood County now. We still almost never go out for dinner and might eat lunch out if we happen to be down the mountain running errands.

The mindset of what is needed vs what is wanted has changed dramatically. Compromising isn't the way of life anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2018, 07:10 AM

4,218 posts, read 8,492,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlove View Post
The mindset of what is needed vs what is wanted has changed dramatically. Compromising isn't the way of life anymore.
Or being willing to make sacrifices for a long-term goal.

Old 05-24-2018, 07:21 AM

3,441 posts, read 2,789,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadpony View Post
Or being willing to make sacrifices for a long-term goal.
Exactly. Immediate gratification is the norm now for a large portion of the population.

Old 05-24-2018, 07:46 AM

8,082 posts, read 6,698,980 times
Quote:
I think there is a different mindset in the younger people in the area. When I was in my early 20s and living in Wake County, I drove 27 miles each way to my job. I lived in Apex before it became what it is now. Back then, it was country and I lived in a singlewide. Because that's what I could afford. We didn't go out to eat, matter of fact, it was the highlight of our week when we had pizza night on Wednesday nights. We didn't complain about the commute because we knew we couldn't afford to live in Raleigh at that point in our lives (we were able to later on as we both created and moved up in our careers). Mostly what I hear from the younger people in Asheville are complaints about how they can't afford to live in West Asheville or downtown Asheville. When looking for places to rent, they insist that they need to be within walking distance of the nightlife. I guess because I've always been a country girl, living right in the midst of the hustle and bustle has never appealed to me, which is why I live in Haywood County now. We still almost never go out for dinner and might eat lunch out if we happen to be down the mountain running errands.

This!!! ^^^ Wish I could rep you more than once!

Old 05-24-2018, 03:06 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,450,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardluk1 View Post
If the cost to live in Asheville's surrounding areas is to high for you ?? Well move on then . Simple enough . Sure not worth whining about . Maybe you will find your there home out side hickory or greenville but surely not worth getting all flustered over .

In Yancey county is possible to find acreage with a large home for under 300,00 - some under 200,000 - even some on large lots in 150,000 but you have to be willing to look and compromise when buying used homes .
Um forum. No one is whining.

Old 05-24-2018, 03:37 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,319,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Um forum. No one is whining.
LOL, sure sounds like it!

Old 05-24-2018, 05:30 PM

787 posts, read 774,018 times
reed 067 The tread title is whining as price's are going up EVERY WHERE . Its not an Asheville thing !

goldenlove Your replys are spot on and it does seem like there is a continued loss of common sense and work ethic with young adults over the last 25 years .

Old 05-24-2018, 05:44 PM

526 posts, read 456,744 times
Quote:

k:

Old 05-24-2018, 06:03 PM

2,842 posts, read 2,958,247 times
Blaming millenials solves problems

Old 05-24-2018, 06:15 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,319,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
Blaming millenials solves problems
So does whining.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina