Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2018, 10:53 AM

6,632 posts, read 4,302,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by juggar View Post
I was going to mention the same. That one fact stood out far above anything else they said.

Im 25, making the exact SAME money with a Bachelors degree in an even more rural area than Waynesville. Franklin, NC to be exact.

If I were 50 and had a masters and were only making 45k, I too would be frustrated with the world. Realistically, I would expect OP to be around 90-120k by now. 45K sounds like an educators salary, and we do need educators so kudos if OP is in that line of work.

And by the way, I worked in Waynesville for years and never had any of these issues with the place. Its not some large city like OP wants it to be. Ultimate it is a mountain town in rural Western, NC.

The roads are FINE, by the way.... thats a total and complete LIE from OP. Every city has a few less than stellar roads but Waynesville does not stand out to me as having poor roads.

Like what the hell did OP expect? Dont move into rural (or semi rural) Appalachia and expect big city values.
I think you're being a little too hard on the OP. While he does seem frustrated, he does make some legitimate points. For example, it is a relatively conservative area (not saying there's anything wrong with that) , shopping is limited, and roads need improving in areas, There are other mountain towns (e.g., Hendersonville, albeit, larger) with better shopping and nicer downtown areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2018, 11:46 AM

376 posts, read 500,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
I think you're being a little too hard on the OP. While he does seem frustrated, he does make some legitimate points. For example, it is a relatively conservative area (not saying there's anything wrong with that) , shopping is limited, and roads need improving in areas, There are other mountain towns (e.g., Hendersonville, albeit, larger) with better shopping and nicer downtown areas.
Then id say, he needs to move if he legitimately doesn't enjoy it here.

Asheville sounds far more like what he would enjoy.

Old 01-16-2020, 06:55 AM

37 posts, read 38,526 times
Is Haywood county a dry county?

Old 01-16-2020, 09:24 AM

4,790 posts, read 10,611,895 times
^ Basically, no...2016 vote expanded sales/hours, etc.

Waynesville, North Carolina | Local Alcohol Laws

Several counties have some weird 'times'/laws, but Haywood is quite lenient now.

From fading memory, I think Graham County is the only totally 'dry' county in the state, which is ironic as some of the best 'Shine I have tasted comes from that area.
GL, mD

Old 01-17-2020, 06:38 AM

401 posts, read 331,760 times
Not fuh nothin but I live in RI, as liberal as it gets and we say the EXACT same thing about the roads - we have the biggest potholes, nobody on the road has ever heard of a 'blinka' and probably paid off somebody to pass the driver's test. All the politicians are crooked, there's the mob (or at least there was back in the day - Providence was the headquarters of the New England mob,) schools are bad, too many 'illegals' according to talk radio (Providence is a sanctuary city) Friendly? you wanna talk about friendly? People say Rhode Islanders are about the most stand-offish people they've ever met.) Oh I forget what all else but we say the exact same thing AND pay 5 or 6 grand in taxes for our trouble.

I didn't realize at first that this was an old thread and the poster has probably moved by now. Of course I think he was exaggerating on purpose to get a rise out of the locals who post here on CD. For myself, yes I feel like mouthing off about some things if I'm in a bad mood - I don't use my real name so what's to lose - nobody's coming to my house with a posse. But what I've been told when you feel that way is to write a letter, or a rant, then put it in a drawer; don't send it - at least right away.

Oh PS: I do like it here, I'm talking about what people who don't, or complain on talk radio or the RI thread on CD (there are a few from Mass who absolutely hate RI and are not shy about interjecting their opinion on every thread). But I've lived all over, from Houston to Miami Beach, LA, and Cheyenne, WY and I've liked them all. I'm moving to your area (NC, TN or southwest VA) for the lower taxes and cost of living now that I'm getting older. I've been there many times in the last few years driving and looking around. Yes, it's different than where I come from but I look forward to embracing the changes to live in the beautiful mountains and from what I saw the 'beautiful' people I've met.

Last edited by bbtm100912; 01-17-2020 at 06:55 AM.. Reason: additional thought

Old 01-17-2020, 10:32 AM

1,295 posts, read 1,037,472 times
I posted this after somebody was sniveling about how miserable they were on Hilton Head Island of all places lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstate67 View Post
Have you ever noticed how there's a recurring theme to every one of these "I'm so miserable here" posts?

Everybody is racist, there's no culture or art, no diversity, the food sucks, everybody is uneducated, yada yada yada...

I swear I'm starting to think there's a template they all use where they just grab words from a list that's already compiled for them and fill in the blanks lol.

"I hate it here because _____, and the people here are ______. Furthermore, the lack of _______ with too many people doing ______. I can't wait to get back to _______!"
See a pattern?

Old 01-22-2020, 08:50 AM

9 posts, read 5,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstate67 View Post
I posted this after somebody was sniveling about how miserable they were on Hilton Head Island of all places lol.

See a pattern?
Now that IS funny. Bravo. Made my day.

Old 01-25-2020, 07:00 AM

2,899 posts, read 1,869,150 times
There are some people out there who will never be happy and they would complain that Utopia is too perfect!.

Take some opinions with a grain of salt and keep it in perspective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina