Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2018, 10:52 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,265,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
Based on these comments, maybe we didn't miss anything. Looks like we may have seen everything there was to see. Guess I was expecting too much..
As someone who grew up on Black Mountain, it all depends upon what you are looking for. so you may not have missed anything depending upon what you are needing.

People who tell you how nice it is because of the shops, tourists, and restaurants are right; but is that why you would be moving there? If yes, then good. If not then, How many times do you need to buy pottery or expensive photos? gifts?

Do you want to live in a scenic area and live the quiet life? Black Mountain can be that (depending). The seven sisters and graybeard mountains are gorgeous and you can almost just reach out and touch them. If that is your thing. You would have to move out of town for that and the town can get pretty overwhelmed with the numbers of visitors June to October.

I was surprised to see how low rated the schools are because I received an excellent education and had some of the best and most interesting teachers. but that was the 1960s. Interesting people with world's experience moved there then. So are schools a factor for you? Are you content that (if children is a factor) they will have to leave home to get college jobs?

it all comes down to what and how is your life to be there, then does Black Mountain suit?

What I liked about growing up there was that it was cool and the air was crisp. It was quiet and isolated in the winter but busy during the summer with tourist trade and summer visitors and like any resort town back to quiet in the off season. It was just a jaunt into Asheville to get what little I needed and I commuted the last year to UNC-A. Easy to do. I would move back in a heart beat if $$ allowed but I think it has gotten too busy for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2018, 07:22 AM

13,365 posts, read 28,593,453 times
Hmm toying moving across the state, was looking at Asheville but will check Black Mountain out as well.
retired so jobs and schools ar a non issue.
I know I can google, but how far to the airport?

Old 07-17-2018, 07:43 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,293,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Hmm toying moving across the state, was looking at Asheville but will check Black Mountain out as well.
retired so jobs and schools ar a non issue.
I know I can google, but how far to the airport?
Which one?

Old 07-17-2018, 08:27 AM

13,365 posts, read 28,593,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
Which one?
Asheville, as my preferred carrier UA has non stops to NJ when I want to visit kids.
Currently in Sneads Ferry it takes me all day to fly as Wilmington and Jacksonville are by way of Charlotte or Atlanta, might as well drive

Old 07-17-2018, 01:30 PM

4,781 posts, read 10,530,495 times
^

'Asheville' to AVL is 20 to 35 mins depending on where in 'Asheville', time of day/traffic, etc.
GOOG Map:
https://goo.gl/maps/oQHSVz1Uk4A2

Black Mtn is 30 to 35 mins to AVL, again depending upon time of day/traffic, etc.
https://goo.gl/maps/3mo4cs779k62

Fwiw, we live on a mtn ridge 'above' Waynesville and we usually factor 45 mins min to an hour, door to door, to drop off a visitor giving them an hour+ for the check in/TSA stuff. If it is 'us', we give ourselves 2+ to 2.5 hrs leaving our mtn home before flight time. Have never been late/missed a flight/dropped someone off too late, etc.

And, while the AVL situ is getting more and more 'crowded' as flights increase, (esp in summer time flights), and more passenger traffic, the parking/getting in/checking in/TSA process is cake compared to ATL, EWR, CLT, et al in our decades experience of flying.

GOOG Maps is your friend.
GL, mD

Old 07-17-2018, 04:26 PM

6,555 posts, read 4,166,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motordavid View Post
^

'Asheville' to AVL is 20 to 35 mins depending on where in 'Asheville', time of day/traffic, etc.
GOOG Map:
https://goo.gl/maps/oQHSVz1Uk4A2

Black Mtn is 30 to 35 mins to AVL, again depending upon time of day/traffic, etc.
https://goo.gl/maps/3mo4cs779k62

Fwiw, we live on a mtn ridge 'above' Waynesville and we usually factor 45 mins min to an hour, door to door, to drop off a visitor giving them an hour+ for the check in/TSA stuff. If it is 'us', we give ourselves 2+ to 2.5 hrs leaving our mtn home before flight time. Have never been late/missed a flight/dropped someone off too late, etc.

And, while the AVL situ is getting more and more 'crowded' as flights increase, (esp in summer time flights), and more passenger traffic, the parking/getting in/checking in/TSA process is cake compared to ATL, EWR, CLT, et al in our decades experience of flying.

GOOG Maps is your friend.
GL, mD
Have flown over 2 mil. miles. Have to say CLT is one of the easiest airports in terms of getting in/getting out/check-in. Havn't flown into/out of AVL, as it has fewer nonstops and most airlines fly smaller jets out of there. From Flatrock, CLT is an easy drive. Do wish WN would start service into AVL. Have used WN at GSP.

Old 07-17-2018, 04:43 PM

No arm wrestle on 'which airport'...I was just giving njkate an opin on travel times to AVL and our experiences there, based on her looking at Asheville or BM to live in/around.

CLT is fine, but a solid 2 1/2 hrs from our door in light traffic, and add in the down in the gravel remote lot/bus ride and the '2 hrs before flight' and it is an all day sucker to fly from to anywhere in the US, door to door. Other than we have flown in/out of it in a couple times in past year, it ain't my pick, but then no airport with the 'airport process' is these days.

I miss the old days, pre 9-11, when I would stuff the Co Car somewhere in the EWR C Day lot, run up the stairs, breeze through the metal detector and waltz onto the plane as they held the door, smilingly, for us last min biz flyers.

We rarely fly post retirement, unless it is over an ocean, and that is in Biz Class or better, not steerage.
GL, mD

Old 07-17-2018, 08:21 PM

6,555 posts, read 4,166,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motordavid View Post
No arm wrestle on 'which airport'...I was just giving njkate an opin on travel times to AVL and our experiences there, based on her looking at Asheville or BM to live in/around.

CLT is fine, but a solid 2 1/2 hrs from our door in light traffic, and add in the down in the gravel remote lot/bus ride and the '2 hrs before flight' and it is an all day sucker to fly from to anywhere in the US, door to door. Other than we have flown in/out of it in a couple times in past year, it ain't my pick, but then no airport with the 'airport process' is these days.

I miss the old days, pre 9-11, when I would stuff the Co Car somewhere in the EWR C Day lot, run up the stairs, breeze through the metal detector and waltz onto the plane as they held the door, smilingly, for us last min biz flyers.

We rarely fly post retirement, unless it is over an ocean, and that is in Biz Class or better, not steerage.
GL, mD
Same here. Will not fly to Hawaii or Europe unless in J or F. CLT is just so darn convenient from Flatrock and add it that you don't have to connect, it's a no-brainer for us.

Old 07-18-2018, 08:18 AM

156 posts, read 145,869 times
we have been flying JFK/LGA to CLT to visit the build or if I am in CLT for business. 90-100 min or so from Cummings Cov

I did do 2 flight back from AVL just to check it out as I would like it to be my home airport and aa uses CLT as a hub... honestly I would rather the jump flight to CLT over the drive as AVL is so easy..

Old 07-18-2018, 02:41 PM

No arm wrestle on anyone's Fave airport...
For us, we usually do over seas flights from PHL/EWR/JFK as we tie that departure situ into a car trip from NC to NJ to see our kids and their fams for a couple days at start of 'trip', and at least a long weekend with them in south Jersey, post trip.

We hook one of them to drive/drop us off/pick us up at the chosen airport...

We are Retired Bums so we have time: the day and half drive up includes us stopping to chase the ball, dodge the late afternoon Balto/Philly/South Jersey traffic, etc. And, after hanging with the kids post trip, we reverse the process coming south to our Mtn home.

This process works for us and we get a couple more long weekend visits with kids/Fam each 'summer' this way.
GL, mD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina