Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2018, 07:46 AM

84 posts, read 178,009 times

Advertisements

My husband and I currently live outside of Chattanooga, TN in a suburb outside of the city but we have always wanted some acreage. Neither of us like the area anymore (getting too crowded, poor infrastructure, traffic, etc) and are eager to get out. We have thought about areas in TN but have been looking into Burnsville (Yancey county area) and think it could possibly work for us. Are there decent paying jobs within a 30 mile drive? I currently work for a large health insurance company and my husband works for a disability insurance company (but has extensive financial experience) We don’t want to move and then struggle but we are really looking for a place that feels like home. The beauty of Burnsville when we visited is hard to beat but the job issue is the only thing that could give us pause for the move. If you live around the Burnsville area could you please provide insight on living there? We would really not want to drive to Asheville for work. We are deciding between NC and VA so this post is quite similar to the one I put on the VA forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2018, 11:00 AM

730 posts, read 776,051 times
You're going to have to drive to Asheville for work. Burnsville is less than 2K people and Yancy county is less than 20K.

Old 07-16-2018, 02:06 PM

789 posts, read 785,941 times
Yancey county is a great place to live but employment is your problem to figure out . Not sure what your issues are with working around Asheville are but it fits inside of your 30 mile drive concerns . Our drive time to Asheville town square is 35 minutes , 22 minutes to Weaverville and there are a number of large tracts of land on the west side of the county that may serve your needs well . Check out Zillow or realitor.com

Be glad to help with locations here but employments all on you .

We have lived here for 20 years now and still like the county very much thanks to its slow rate of business growth

Old 07-17-2018, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardluk1 View Post
Yancey county is a great place to live but employment is your problem to figure out . Not sure what your issues are with working around Asheville are but it fits inside of your 30 mile drive concerns . Our drive time to Asheville town square is 35 minutes , 22 minutes to Weaverville and there are a number of large tracts of land on the west side of the county that may serve your needs well . Check out Zillow or realitor.com

Be glad to help with locations here but employments all on you .

We have lived here for 20 years now and still like the county very much thanks to its slow rate of business growth
The only issue with Asheville (besides neither of us care for it much just the beauty outside the city) is to get the size of land we want and can afford we may have to go further into the county (ie Green Mountain) and Asheville would just be a longer drive to get to. Also, if we could get jobs closer to where we live it wouldn’t be a big issue if the pay was lower because it would about even out. We don’t want to move to our dream property and spend all our time traveling to work. We have even looked at Bakersville but in that case we it would be about the same to drive to Johnson City. We really want to live and work close to our home. I know sacrifices have to be made sometimes though. Thank you for your advice.

Old 07-18-2018, 07:03 AM

You may want to deciding were you both will work then decide on land options unless finding work is that easy then it does not need to be mentioned at all . But if land was well with in your maximum mileage to Asheville and still its a no go then maybe one of the number of other areas in nc , tn or va your looking at will work out better for you . After all you did not state a minimum size of acreage or a maximum price to spend on land so its hard to help . You might do better on realitor .com or Zillow at this point till and decide were you will work . Might be you two end up in different areas for work that change your land purchase options .

OH the drive time from Bakersville NC to Johnson city will take far longer than you think and on mostly secondary roads that during snow/ice conditions may changes your opinion as going from bakersville over the state line on any back road can be a real thriller of a drive or find winter morning access impossible some times due to snow and ice and clearing main roads come first , same for Tn . You really want to know drive time , not mileage . 30 miles here can take 28 minutes or 1 hour plus on some secondary county roads in good conditions .

Old 07-18-2018, 10:12 AM

Quote:
You may want to deciding were you both will work then decide on land options unless finding work is that easy then it does not need to be mentioned at all . But if land was well with in your maximum mileage to Asheville and still its a no go then maybe one of the number of other areas in nc , tn or va your looking at will work out better for you . After all you did not state a minimum size of acreage or a maximum price to spend on land so its hard to help . You might do better on realitor .com or Zillow at this point till and decide were you will work . Might be you two end up in different areas for work that change your land purchase options .

OH the drive time from Bakersville NC to Johnson city will take far longer than you think and on mostly secondary roads that during snow/ice conditions may changes your opinion as going from bakersville over the state line on any back road can be a real thriller of a drive or find winter morning access impossible some times due to snow and ice and clearing main roads come first , same for Tn . You really want to know drive time , not mileage . 30 miles here can take 28 minutes or 1 hour plus on some secondary county roads in good conditions .
I should have mentioned before our minimum acreage (with or without a house) would be around 30 acres. Ideally we would like more (being able to own land measured in miles and not acres would be a dream). Realistically, the max would probably be 100 acres. The only reason I haven’t mentioned price is because everyone always says different things about what you can get no matter where you’re looking. I’ve heard some people say good usable land is $4000-$6000 an acre and I know that’s not true. I know of where you can still get land for $500 an acre and also I know people who have spent $100,000 on a half acre. We are very excited to move and we are definitely thinking about all our options before we make the leap. We would love to find something we can buy before we sell our house here. Ideally we don’t want to have to rent somewhere first. If we buy land we would more than likely buy a camper and live on it while the house is being built (we couldn’t afford rent and the cost to build a house at the same time) Thank you for pointing out the road conditions to consider for drive time. It will take some getting used to if we move to the Burnsville area.

Old 07-19-2018, 05:11 AM

There are a 40 and 50 acre tract for sale on the west side of yancey county for sale unless a 35 minute drive o Asheville is still out of the question . If so better look some where else as nothing about a drive to Tn will be quicker .

331 Gibbs Rd
Burnsville - 52.2 acres asking 179,999 closest to us-19 and Asheville

1242 Elk Shoals Creek Rd _ 84.42 acres 195,000
Burnsville

Longest drive would be to property addressed as 000 Silvers Gap Rd property This my be the best property is it stands - 40acres 175,000 with large barn in good shape streams and roughed in roads . Good property for livestock .

Be glad to help if I can and theres a handful and you can always get in touch with a realtor to show the property and may know of larger tracts that could be bought of a better deal too .

Old 07-19-2018, 02:23 PM

Quote:
There are a 40 and 50 acre tract for sale on the west side of yancey county for sale unless a 35 minute drive o Asheville is still out of the question . If so better look some where else as nothing about a drive to Tn will be quicker .

331 Gibbs Rd
Burnsville - 52.2 acres asking 179,999 closest to us-19 and Asheville

1242 Elk Shoals Creek Rd _ 84.42 acres 195,000
Burnsville

Longest drive would be to property addressed as 000 Silvers Gap Rd property This my be the best property is it stands - 40acres 175,000 with large barn in good shape streams and roughed in roads . Good property for livestock .

Be glad to help if I can and theres a handful and you can always get in touch with a realtor to show the property and may know of larger tracts that could be bought of a better deal too .

Thank you for those (they could very well possibly work). We will be planning a trip there again to look at properties in the near future. I may take you up on your offer of further help soon. Again, thank you for your kind and helpful replies.

Old 07-19-2018, 04:57 PM

NO problem . Be glad to help . Check for PM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina