Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2018, 03:15 PM

6,627 posts, read 4,289,861 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by motordavid View Post
LookingFromLI: Thank you, but our 'slice' comes with some rigorous lifestyle effort, obvious necessary planning to avoid umptyseven daily trips down/up our mtn to town, our house gets beat up by the weather, and one has to like living at this altitude. But, million dollar views, cool(er) temps all S,S and Autumn, and a wonderful area of neighbors that watch out and take care of each other...

theres126: Dunno what 'reasonably priced home' means. There are probably dozens and dozens of houses in Waynesville area with good to very good views. Our view is high elevation, ~4,800 ft, and that alt reduces the houses for sale, with that kind of view.

I walk out on our deck and shoot, but one doesn't have to have that view for exc landscape shooting, as the BRPkway is <20 mins from downtown Waynesvile.

Plug in stuff into Realtor.com and look at pics, keeping in mind winter views vs year round views, and accessibility if one has to commute or needs daily doc/shopping trips.

A wider view of our street 'neighborhood' from a drone still image, our house painter shot a couple of years ago...
GL, mD
MD, thanks for your perspective. We always wanted views like yours, but your perspective confirms what we were thinking when we decided to buy our lot in Flat Rock at around 2600 feet. We got a good view, but not comparable to yours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2018, 06:17 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,542,882 times
I find this pretty interesting as we are just starting the process of selling our Highlands house. As I come from Austin, TX where our Highlands home would sell in ten minutes for at least $100k more, it is a bit of a shock to hear how "expensive" Highlands is thought to be.

I'd be tickled to find a SFH in the Austin area like our Highlands house for $300k And Austin ain't no "resort town", that's for sure!

What a treat to get away for a few days, leaving Austin when we had already experienced seven consecutive days of 100 degree temps to find Highlands go from a low around 60 to a high around 80 each day!

I'll say you would want to shop carefully for groceries(Ingle's will help with that...15 minutes away in Cashiers) and the local ACE ain't the lowest price you'll find; but the taxes are reasonable and utilities are as well.

Old 07-11-2018, 04:34 AM

1,998 posts, read 4,606,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
...What a treat to get away for a few days, leaving Austin when we had already experienced seven consecutive days of 100 degree temps to find Highlands go from a low around 60 to a high around 80 each day...
I understand Austin has significant appeal (capital, tech industries, Univ of Texas, hipsters love it, etc etc) but the climate looks AWFUL (and there is no easy escape from the heat to higher altitudes) with long hot/humid summers - per Wikipedia: Highs reach 90 °F (32 °C) on 116 days per year, of which 18 days reach 100 °F (38 °C) - WOW

Old 07-11-2018, 12:22 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,542,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drfranklin View Post
I understand Austin has significant appeal (capital, tech industries, Univ of Texas, hipsters love it, etc etc) but the climate looks AWFUL (and there is no easy escape from the heat to higher altitudes) with long hot/humid summers - per Wikipedia: Highs reach 90 °F (32 °C) on 116 days per year, of which 18 days reach 100 °F (38 °C) - WOW
Depends on the year, of course; as there is no such thing as "average" weather in Austin. This week is actually within a couple of degrees on either side of average...VERY unusual.

The "awful" climate is an attraction to folks like me who enjoy bicycling year-round without bundling up. Just have to do it before noon during the 4+ months of summer!!! I could do without the 100 degree days; but October will be here before we know it!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina