Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2018, 12:01 AM

1 posts, read 4,162 times

Advertisements

We are looking for a NC mountain town for summers with cool temperatures and fun things to do including hiking and festivals. We are looking into primarily Waynesville, NC vs. Highlands, NC. Highlands has cooler temps but I’m wondering.... Does it rain constantly in Highlands? They have a very high annual precipitation compared to other NC towns. Don’t want to live somewhere where it is either raining or overcast all summer and would appreciate feedback! Waynesville looks like a cool town but lower elevation and housing costs higher. I am leaning more towards Waynesville if I can believe the low summer temps I see online:-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2018, 04:20 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,372,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robindysard View Post
We are looking for a NC mountain town for summers with cool temperatures and fun things to do including hiking and festivals. We are looking into primarily Waynesville, NC vs. Highlands, NC. Highlands has cooler temps but I’m wondering.... Does it rain constantly in Highlands? They have a very high annual precipitation compared to other NC towns. Don’t want to live somewhere where it is either raining or overcast all summer and would appreciate feedback! Waynesville looks like a cool town but lower elevation and housing costs higher. I am leaning more towards Waynesville if I can believe the low summer temps I see online:-)
Are you sure about that? I'm pretty sure housing in Highlands is a lot more, on average, than Waynesville. Basically twice as much.

Old 07-04-2018, 06:57 AM

1,555 posts, read 2,518,860 times
This past Spring into Summer, feels like we have been breaking
records regarding rain. I’m at 3K’ and believe we’re going into a heatwave.
We have so many microclimates in this geography that I take it as it comes.
Back when the Meteorologists were in school, they learned all the right words:
possible showers, chance of rain, may reach - - - degrees.

Old 07-04-2018, 07:54 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,841,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
Are you sure about that? I'm pretty sure housing in Highlands is a lot more, on average, than Waynesville. Basically twice as much.
Highlands is quite exclusive....nowhere near average Waynesville.

Old 07-04-2018, 08:35 AM

1,286 posts, read 1,480,235 times
Does it rain quite often in Highlands compared to surrounding areas?

Old 07-04-2018, 10:02 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,841,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chahunt View Post
Does it rain quite often in Highlands compared to surrounding areas?
You can look that up on city data

Old 07-04-2018, 10:27 AM

3,444 posts, read 2,814,454 times
Your elevation is going to have a lot to do with your temperatures. We live east of Waynesville at 4400 feet, so we stay quite comfortable during the summer months. Yesterday we hit 79 degrees. We don't turn our A/C on at all, sometimes we put in our window fan, like right now when it's been a bit warmer and turn on all the ceiling fans. Yesterday we went down to Clyde/Waynesville (on the border of both) and it was 89 degrees, I think they got to 93 or so.

However, the winter months tend to be a bit colder for us up here and we get more precipitation due to our elevation.

I can't answer the question about the rain in Highlands, but I do know it's much more expensive than Waynesville unless you are looking in certain neighborhoods in the Waynesville area (like Eagle's Nest or the country club area).

Old 07-04-2018, 12:27 PM

6,626 posts, read 4,289,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
Have been visiting Highlands/Cashiers for 30 years, so know a lot about it. For a long time, thought we wanted to retire there. Completely different. Highlands is primarily second and third homes, and very expensive (yes, property is going to be more expensive). Very rainy, basically located in a rain forest. I would think twice if your plan is to live there year round. For year round residents, no question, Waynesville is the better choice. Highlands/Cashiers is a gorgeoous drive from Waynesville.

Old 07-04-2018, 12:44 PM

4,788 posts, read 10,602,776 times
We live in/'above' Waynesville, so we know the area well...
Had friends that had a spectacular home in Highlands, but they moved to AZ, and we have chased the ball at a few courses there in the area, but I am no expert on Highlands.

Highlands is a very dramatic area, high elevations, some fine azz golf clubs, a very small 'downtown', and with just a few commercial/retail options.

As for precip, most of us are in the temperate hardwood rain forest, and Highlands, Sapphire, Toxaway get more than their fare share, on average. So does Waynesville and many other areas of western NC. Many micro climes, many situational areas due to topo and altitude affected, and most of us have had more than our fair share of precip this Spring, Summer thus far.

Waynesville has SFHs from $100G junquers to high $1.8 Mill, and many in between...housing areas can range from 2700 ft elevation to 5,500 ft elevation. Waynesville has several times the population of Highlands, both in 'legal town' and in area, fwiw, and has considerably more retail and service options. For perusing houses in W'ville, and knowing several friends in the RE biz, the $500 G and under SFHs with some view/good condition tend to move quickly. The $500G and up SFHs tend to sit on mkt for awhile, so there may be some opportunity in that class for serious offers. I agree with BC1960 that on average, SFHs cost more in Highlands than they do in Waynesville...

Waynesville downtown is thriving if a bit bordering on tourists, galleries, artsfartsy, et al. Many restaurants, pubs, businesses, and big box stores on outside of town on perimeter.

If you like Highlands, but if are "leaning toward Waynesville", you may want to be focus on higher elevation SFHs, eg 3500/3800 ft elevation, and higher. Those higher elevation situs will provide views, less hot summer temps, outstanding Spring and Autumn temps, but come with cooler to cold winter temps.

Our temp in the shade during the past few 'scorcher days' that much of the US had was 75 degs F. Unlike goldenlove we have 3 zone/2 compressor A/C and run it whenever we feel like it, esp to knock down humidity in evening for sleeping, and because solar gain on roof is considerable this time of year. Ceiling fans in literally every room, but I would not look at any SFH that doesn't have several fans and a good modern high capacity A/C unit, unless you are relocating from SW FL or Dubai, and are 'used' to some heat/humidity. Again, everyone's comfort zone is different; I like 'perfect' to cool to cold...

If you are commuting, or doing daily up/down to town trips, almost every higher elevation area will come with narrow two lane roads that one either becomes accustomed to/likes, or does not...YMMV.

I have ~18 yrs of living in W'ville experience, so if you want more opins/ideas, DM me.

I am not pumping Waynesville: we are more 'crowded' here than two decades ago, and I am not on the Chamber of Commerce, or in the RE biz, or promoting one moving here.
My 50Cts...
GL, mD

A few views from our Mtn Home deck at ~4,800 ft elevation 'above' Waynesville, and a recent smaller bear visit to our deck:
Attached Thumbnails
Looking into Highlands NC vs. Waynesville-3-mins-morning-brightness-morning-storms   Looking into Highlands NC vs. Waynesville-sunrise-autumn-like-6-36-am   Looking into Highlands NC vs. Waynesville-sunrise-soft-waiting-soakers-6-11   Looking into Highlands NC vs. Waynesville-bear-deck-rail-6-30-18   Looking into Highlands NC vs. Waynesville-bear-deck-rail-6-30-18  

Last edited by motordavid; 07-04-2018 at 01:01 PM..

Old 07-04-2018, 04:58 PM

6,626 posts, read 4,289,861 times
Just beautiful. As always, thanks MD for the lovely photos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina