Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2018, 06:24 PM

90 posts, read 84,811 times

Advertisements

OP, you should therefore be supporting the Hearing Protection Act (HR 367) which allows for 'silencers' to be deregulated. (To all of those left-leaning participants of this forum, it reduces the noise level (up to 30 db worth) and does not make them deadly silent killers.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2018, 07:19 PM

329 posts, read 250,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlove View Post
I am guessing you are "talking" this way to make some point? Because you don't normally try to make yourself sound like a someone from a super rural area by using the slang and such...I think you even used the word "whilst" in one of your previous post. LOL
Whilst has nothing to do with rural "slang". It's from the KJV, and it's proper English. If you read 1800s English everyday, you pick things up.
If you can't handle a vocabulary different than yours, then I don't know what to tell you.

If you don't like the way I speak, then leave me alone. Live and let live bud. I don't bug you over things you do that I don't like.
"Mind your own business and you won't have time to be minding mine" - Hank Sr

Old 07-09-2018, 07:41 PM

3,444 posts, read 2,818,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backwoods Baptist View Post
Whilst has nothing to do with rural "slang". It's from the KJV, and it's proper English. If you read 1800s English everyday, you pick things up.
If you can't handle a vocabulary different than yours, then I don't know what to tell you.

If you don't like the way I speak, then leave me alone. Live and let live bud. I don't bug you over things you do that I don't like.
"Mind your own business and you won't have time to be minding mine" - Hank Sr
LOL. Yes, I totally understand where the word whilst came from. I also know when someone is trying to pull the wool over our eyes by pretending to be something they really aren't. Be true to oneself and all that jazz.

Old 07-09-2018, 08:10 PM

329 posts, read 250,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlove View Post
LOL. Yes, I totally understand where the word whilst came from. I also know when someone is trying to pull the wool over our eyes by pretending to be something they really aren't. Be true to oneself and all that jazz.

I'm not pretending to be anything.

I HAVE cut a tree down with my AK on my Sunday School teacher's property over in Franklin using Wulf ammo

My old church IS on HWY 23 between Franklin and Dillsboro
I DO shoot often
I AM from and currently live IN a rural area.

I part-time farm on 2 acres-ish with several dozen egg laying birds, two dozen bantam breeding birds, and 50ish meat birds with a half acre garden using Joel Salatin's techniques
I DO shoot critters on my land
I AM an old-school, Bible Thumping, Gun Toting, Backwoods Baptist and refer to myself as such

I AM Irish, Scots-Irish, English with a little French and Swedish. Parts of my Scots-Irish comes from the O'Rourkes who were Kings at one point on the border of Ulster and Ireland, another part comes from the O'Leeman family of Northern Ireland.

My family has been in North America since 1620ish, when we were one of the First Families in founding the Quebec Colony, before moving South into the U.S. My first ancestor in North America was one of the only Surgeons in the colony.

My favorite shows are Hee Haw and the Andy Griffith Show
I have several ancestors that fought in the War Between the States

I'm about as "true to oneself" as you can be. I've long ago stopped caring what folks think, which is why I talk, write, and am the way I am.

I speak American, not English. English is the language of the Old Country whose butt got kicked 250ish years ago.

Like it or leave it, but there's A LOT of folks like me

Old 07-10-2018, 05:10 AM

526 posts, read 459,980 times
Things I will never understand are folks who move to an area then try to make it like it was where they left?
I am a southern yank, before I moved here I visited many other places looking for a place that was MORE like me not trying to move to an area and wanting it to CHANGE to be like where I left from.
I am on a local community watch page for my area and it is amazing how many new folks complained endlessly about gun fire and fireworks. WHY in God's name did ya move to a rural area where folks shoot guns and fireworks for pete's sake?
The best now are the buffoons in Flat Rock whining about widening roads that lead to their community over by Highland lake. THEY moved here and upset an entire town which they thought was just dandy and when the roads from all them need upgrading they whine endlessly.
I am a transplant who moved to an area and fit in, I want to change nothing and moved to an established property, not building anything just moved in.
My question is why do folks move to an area not suited for them them want it to change to be like where they left?
Oh as far a dogs flipping out I have had dogs my entire life since I can remember. Over my 50+ yrs that's only 4 and two were gun shy, one bad and one somewhat. I don't care what most say it's curable, the last one I spend days with and by the end of her life she was chasing the missed clays when we skeet shoot. They all went shooting with me regularly and just laid next to us rarely even lifting their heads.

Old 07-10-2018, 05:59 AM

5 posts, read 3,560 times
Y'all are some real badasses...

Old 07-13-2018, 09:50 AM

376 posts, read 500,087 times
OP needs to settle down. You dont like it OP? Leave, because myself and others will never stop.

I typically go to the gun range, BUT if I do decide to shoot on my property thats my choice. Im outside of a city, thats how it works in rural areas.

Old 07-13-2018, 01:26 PM

159 posts, read 183,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooManyChoices View Post
OP, you should therefore be supporting the Hearing Protection Act (HR 367) which allows for 'silencers' to be deregulated. (To all of those left-leaning participants of this forum, it reduces the noise level (up to 30 db worth) and does not make them deadly silent killers.)
I do! In some countries of Europe, using a suppressor is not just legal, it's required.

It's the full-mag blast-offs after dark on Saturday night that bother me. Under those circumstances the shooter is obviously not out there working on his marksmanship; more likely working on his 5th beer. I've been outdoors on a summer evening and heard a gunshot in the distance, then the buzz of a bullet high overhead. That's just plain negligent. I've called the sheriff on a neighbor who was shooting at targets propped on a hay bale with my back field downrange. People should have enough common sense to know that doing that is wrong. People using firearms and common sense together are not a problem.

Old 07-14-2018, 11:47 AM

159 posts, read 183,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juggar View Post
OP needs to settle down. You dont like it OP? Leave, because myself and others will never stop.

I typically go to the gun range, BUT if I do decide to shoot on my property thats my choice. Im outside of a city, thats how it works in rural areas.
My property is where usually shoot, too. We're blessed here to have the kind of topography that makes it easy to have the proper backstop for that activity.

Old 07-14-2018, 07:31 PM

92 posts, read 74,823 times
Since I will shortly be living in the Weaverville area can someone point me toward a rifle club that might have me so I don't need to go off into the woods and shoot? I only drive about 12 minutes now in western PA to shoot at my local club and I'm hoping for a similar situation in WNC. I reload my own ammo for 3 calibers and shoot a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina