Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2018, 01:57 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,471,745 times

Advertisements

The big problem we have is getting gas for cars. When storms come, stations all run out if there’s any kind of pipeline shut down then are the last to be refueled once it resumes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2018, 02:18 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,855,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saucystargazer View Post
The big problem we have is getting gas for cars. When storms come, stations all run out if there’s any kind of pipeline shut down then are the last to be refueled once it resumes.
I know...going to try and get filled up tomorrow.

Old 09-10-2018, 02:23 PM

3,444 posts, read 2,818,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
You are welcome. Be safe.

I'll be out looking for water to buy tomorrow....hopefully there is some left!
The water is going fast! Every person in Food Lion had multiple cases and several gallons. I am certain a large number of people in our area are on well water. Eggs were almost gone, too. I needed eggs and the only thing there were 18 packs of Egglands Best.

Old 09-10-2018, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlove View Post
The water is going fast! Every person in Food Lion had multiple cases and several gallons. I am certain a large number of people in our area are on well water. Eggs were almost gone, too. I needed eggs and the only thing there were 18 packs of Egglands Best.
Oh darn....was waiting as I needed to go to my lawyer's office tomorrow....guess I'll find out. Might check out odd places...one yr I got gallons of water from a hardware store.

Old 09-10-2018, 02:53 PM

Just read:

FEMA recommends storing tap water in glass, metal, plastic containers then store in cool, dark place. Can keep up to 6 months, but best to change out more often as it could develop algae.

Old 09-10-2018, 03:56 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,544,173 times
"Youse guys" are scaring me … Seriously, do you really think that we will be in such a bad way over here, so far from the coast ? I think TV is creating panic. Might be best to rely on the NOAA website(s), weather experts. www.noaa.gov

Old 09-10-2018, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
"Youse guys" are scaring me … Seriously, do you really think that we will be in such a bad way over here, so far from the coast ? I think TV is creating panic. Might be best to rely on the NOAA website(s), weather experts. www.noaa.gov

I do keep the NOAA website up online. Too early to tell just where it will go...

No panic needed. We will be luckier than most but could have rain and wind and flooding...power outages.

Just be prepared though...

I do have an odd interest in storms and hurricanes so don't let me scare you!

Old 09-10-2018, 04:18 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,544,173 times
Quote:
I do keep the NOAA website up online. Too early to tell just where it will go...

No panic needed. We will be luckier than most but could have rain and wind and flooding...power outages.

I'm always concerned about the wind, knocking down trees and causing a lot of damage; or worse, falling on a house. We could get some winds from the outer bands. The coast of NC and SC are evacuating as we speak, very vulnerable over there. Lots of vacations cancelled too. I was all set to kitty-sit for my neighbor starting this morning. At least glad they got cancelled in time and weren't on the road.

Old 09-10-2018, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
I'm always concerned about the wind, knocking down trees and causing a lot of damage; or worse, falling on a house. We could get some winds from the outer bands. The coast of NC and SC are evacuating as we speak, very vulnerable over there. Lots of vacations cancelled too. I was all set to kitty-sit for my neighbor starting this morning. At least glad they got cancelled in time and weren't on the road.
I've had many a vacation compromised by hurricanes over the years...
glad your friend didn't get caught in it.

Heard my friend's daughter made it home from UNC Wilmington...

We hope it will stay northward so we don't get eastern bands of bad weather.
Wind is what worries me too....

Old 09-10-2018, 04:58 PM

3,444 posts, read 2,818,373 times
Quote:

I am a weather nut, so I get you totally! I am also part of an OBX FB group, so I know what's happening there (evacuations) and have friends who live on the southern coast of NC (evacuating, too). This is a very scary storm for them. Plus I lived in Raleigh when Fran went through, it was a sleepless night, that I can tell you. I had been through Hugo before that, which didn't hit Wake County as hard, but traveled right up into the mountains, so I know that's a possibility, too. And then Irma kind of caught me off guard since it was west of here, but we lost power for 12 hours and we had trees down all over the the neighborhood. So yeah, better safe than sorry!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina