Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2018, 01:26 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,057,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
You will get numerous types of feedback and would say it depends more upon your own preferences. Asheville proper is quite liberal and accepting of folks from all walks of life. Many move there for that very reason and for those less flexible shall we say you'll hear about the horrors involved otherwise. While not a resident I find the people largely nice, considerate and pretty welcoming from my dozen or so visits the past few years. Some may go on about the traffic but find that's more a case of what you're used to. Asheville's "awful" traffic is a laugher for most from large cities, and about equal perhaps due to tourism's impact like that of a city with 250K-300K in population. Rush hour is about that (an hour) in 99% of instances in my opinion. I find the climate more moderate relative to it's location in the Southeast US, and while humid in the summer for some nowhere near the gates of hell-like levels seen elsewhere. Winters aren't heavy either with a snow or two with a bit of ice here/there. Springs and Falls are spectacular!
I agree with Kyle. I just moved here about a year ago. It is liberal in Asheville proper. There are many walks of life and everyone is very accepting and non-judgmental. The people are very friendly. It's the main reason I decided to move here I've never lived or seen a community that has stuck together as much as I have here. Everyone is ready to help for any circumstance. Let me give a couple examples: (I've seen these on the FB groups that I belong) Someone's heat has broken and they can't afford to fix it. The next thing you know, people are offering space heaters, blankets, a place to stay, etc for free. Someone just got locked out of their car in the middle of the night after finishing a night shift. People are asking where are you and saying we will be right there to help you get in. The kindness of this community is just amazing.

It took me time to adjust and get to know the area and all the fun events/things it has to offer. I love to be out and participate in these things. Lots of music, festivals and different events. There is always something going on It's a big plus for me.

The climate here isn't perfect but it's very tolerable. I don't like the cold but there still is sun several days which is a big deal to me. There are some days it can be cloudy for a few days in a row as well. Winter probably lasts about 4 months but you do get some nice days in between. It may snow depending on your elevation or you may not get much. I enjoy the warm summers with evenings and mornings that cool down. I've lived in PA and FL and I feel this can be a happy medium.

Traffic, yes. There are certain areas you just avoid or at least try to avoid if you can. Fridays on 26 can be a nightmare. Rush hour is another time. All it takes is one accident and you could be stuck for a couple hours. If you can stay away from the main arteries during those times, it's not as bad. There are back roads once you learn them.

All in all, I like Asheville. It's a great town to live. It's a good size IMHO, not too small or not too big. I do miss the beach occasionally. We have the river here but it's not the same. Of course, no place is perfect.

If you can find work and make a living wage, it maybe for you. The biggest cost I find here is housing. If you are savvy (like I am) when it comes to finding a place to live, you can make it work I'd say come visit a couple times and then make a decision.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2018, 03:17 AM

9,447 posts, read 5,208,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotsoflove99 View Post
We are thinking about moving to Asheville. Can people tell me their thoughts on living there? What are the people like? Traffic? Weather? Thank you!
Have you visited Asheville or spent any time wandering around the area?
That would be your first step. IMO.

Where are you coming from? That info helps, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina