Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 09:39 AM

202 posts, read 715,372 times

Advertisements

Are there any towns in W. NC that wouldn't be effected by landslides, yet have decent views of the mountains and have rolling hills???

Last edited by LindaIL; 03-25-2008 at 10:39 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2008, 10:04 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaIL View Post
Are there any cities in W. NC that wouldn't be effected by landslides, yet have decent views of the mountains and have rolling hills???
Your question made me laugh - sorry

First of all, our only "city" in the mountains is Asheville and it's not like the whole city is in danger of landslides or anything. There are some areas where developers have built too steeply, and where they probably should not have been allowed to build, that already have problems when it rains -so you would just want to be careful where you choose to buy. The rest of our mountains are made up of little communities and mountain villages. As long as you don't live down in a gorge or on top a severe slope you should be in no danger from landslides and have MANY opportunities to find views of the mountains I suggest you check Hendersonville, which is not really high in the mountains, but you can see them from there. You might also like the little town of Black Mountain.

Old 03-25-2008, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Your question made me laugh - sorry

First of all, our only "city" in the mountains is Asheville and it's not like the whole city is in danger of landslides or anything. There are some areas where developers have built too steeply, and where they probably should not have been allowed to build, that already have problems when it rains -so you would just want to be careful where you choose to buy. The rest of our mountains are made up of little communities and mountain villages. As long as you don't live down in a gorge or on top a severe slope you should be in no danger from landslides and have MANY opportunities to find views of the mountains I suggest you check Hendersonville, which is not really high in the mountains, but you can see them from there. You might also like the little town of Black Mountain.
Thanks lovesMountains! Sorry about the "city" thing. Growing up in a "city" I tend to make the mistake of calling towns, villages, etc. cities. Old habbit I guess.

We were considering Black Mtn., or Hendersonville area, but weren't sure if those areas could be effected by landslides. What about the Lake Lure Area?

Old 03-25-2008, 10:51 AM

5,660 posts, read 27,002,563 times
Cities are not normally built on mountain sides. Most towns in the mountain regions are located in valleys.

Old 03-25-2008, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Thanks lovesMountains! Sorry about the "city" thing. Growing up in a "city" I tend to make the mistake of calling towns, villages, etc. cities. Old habbit I guess.

We were considering Black Mtn., or Hendersonville area, but weren't sure if those areas could be effected by landslides. What about the Lake Lure Area?
Lake Lure is a fantastic area I have never heard of any landslide problems in that area, and builders do seem to be building on more level lots there - not off the side of the mountains like in Asheville. However, be aware there have been some scary rises in the creek there over the years - once causing a flood that put the village of Chimney Rock under several feet of water. But if you lived up above Lake Lure I'm sure you'd be safe

Old 03-25-2008, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b View Post
Cities are not normally built on mountain sides. Most towns in the mountain regions are located in valleys.
What an excellent point

Old 03-25-2008, 11:35 AM

5,660 posts, read 27,002,563 times
They have had some earth moving issues in the Bat Cave and Gerton area of Henderson County due to an extraordinary amount of heavy rains as a result of back-to-back hurricanes/tropical storms passing through the Hickory Nut Gorge area in August & September of 2003. Very rare, but it does happen occasionally.

http://www.chimney-rock.com/images/map.gif

Old 03-25-2008, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Lake Lure is a fantastic area I have never heard of any landslide problems in that area, and builders do seem to be building on more level lots there - not off the side of the mountains like in Asheville. However, be aware there have been some scary rises in the creek there over the years - once causing a flood that put the village of Chimney Rock under several feet of water. But if you lived up above Lake Lure I'm sure you'd be safe

Do you know then, of a town near Lake Lure that would not have a landslide risk plus no flooding problems???

Old 03-25-2008, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Do you know then, of a town near Lake Lure that would not have a landslide risk plus no flooding problems???
Hendersonville would be the closest - or one it's neighboring townships.

Old 03-25-2008, 02:16 PM

Quote:
There are also great little rural subdivisions all along hwy 9 both north and south of Lake Lure for miles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina