Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2018, 10:02 AM

21 posts, read 19,697 times

Advertisements

Just spent a frustrating week in Asheville area trying to come up with for-sale homes that meet our needs. At our stage in life, living on one level is the best way to go, but there seem to be precious few houses like that available unless we want to squeeze into something around 1,300 sq. ft.

Our preferred areas are the city itself, Weaverville, Riceville, Fletcher and Fairview. We would pay up to $425,000 if the home needed no work or improvements.

In one week we saw exactly two homes, neither of which would be practical for us. Our agent, who we have been working with for some time, tells us that the type of house we are looking for is in high demand due to many others our age beginning to search for the same thing.

Complicating matters, we live in metro Atlanta, so if something comes on market it's difficult to drop everything and get up to Asheville in time to beat out the competition.

I guess I'm just venting because we were so disappointed last week. But I'm beginning to wonder if what we want will be close to impossible to find. Are single story homes of a reasonable size and decent price and location really as scarce as it seems?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2018, 10:51 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,541,770 times
Sorry you had just a waste of time. There are many single level ranch homes on the market in this area. Did you check with www.Realtor.com before you made the trip? I can't understand a Realtor telling you there are not many one level homes for sale in these areas -- at that price point -- or less.

You didn't mention the amount of sq. ft. you're looking for in a home. That could be the problem, if you want over let's say 2,000 sq. ft. maybe ? Also, did you look in Henderson County ? around Hendersonville, Mills River, etc. ? Also possible you were working with a brand 'new' agent ? Even so, he/she would have access to every listing available if in MLS. Unfortunate that you had a bad experience.

Old 10-23-2018, 11:10 AM

21 posts, read 19,697 times
We are looking for 1,700 square feet or more, as well as a garage. I check Realtor.com every day plus it sends me the new listings by email. I think it is the size of the home, garage and location that make it a hard item to find. Unfortunately, we really want to buy in the areas I listed, due to closer proximity to urban amenities/perks and Mission medical care.

Old 10-23-2018, 02:32 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,471,308 times
Most houses around here are at least on sloped land. That means it’s easier and cheaper to built up not out. So you’ll get multiple level homes. Further south into the Hendersonville area has more single story homes as it’s flatter and more retiree centered.

Old 10-23-2018, 02:45 PM

5,456 posts, read 6,047,094 times
Don't rule out multi-story houses, just be sure to look for one with master on main and maybe a guest room. We did that and actually have three finished levels. Most of the bedrooms are on the main level with one up and one down. We close those areas off because we seldom use them. Actually saves electricity if we keep ourselves on one level, but gives us the option of opening it up for company.

Old 10-23-2018, 05:02 PM

74 posts, read 219,376 times
Check out the cottage homes at Biltmore Lake. They sound like they would meet your requirements. The new construction might be a bit higher but existing homes should be available in your price range.

Old 10-24-2018, 07:19 PM

47 posts, read 56,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
Don't rule out multi-story houses, just be sure to look for one with master on main and maybe a guest room. We did that and actually have three finished levels. Most of the bedrooms are on the main level with one up and one down. We close those areas off because we seldom use them. Actually saves electricity if we keep ourselves on one level, but gives us the option of opening it up for company.

I was going to suggest the same thing. Prior to my divorce the home my first wife and I built was 2400 sq ft and it had 2 bedrooms and two bathrooms downstairs and two more bedrooms and one bath upstairs. With a setup like that you would rarely ever need to go upstairs but you'd have the additional room for children/grandchildren or really any other guests if needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina