Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2008, 08:28 PM

54 posts, read 218,523 times

Advertisements

Hi all. We just moved down to Raleigh from DC a year ago. So far, we LOVE NC but think we would like to get out of the Raleigh area next year. Coming from a big city, I would like to see what a smaller city would be like. So far I have read that western NC is the area to find this. I have heard about Asheville but would like to know if there are any towns north of there that are great as well. I don't want to be too far from VA as I make frequent trips back north for work and family. Any ideas or suggestions are welcomed as we are still very new to the area. We are looking for something like Asheville and something VERY safe as we hope to start a family soon. Really any ideas of ANY towns in NC are great. We dont have to limit ourselves out west if you all know of great towns here around Raleigh
Thanks in advance!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2008, 05:11 AM

5,660 posts, read 27,006,052 times
Asheville is the only city in NC's Mountain Region with a population over 50K. Every other town is much, much smaller. Boone is worth consideration.

Last edited by mm34b; 12-21-2008 at 06:57 AM..

Old 12-21-2008, 05:43 AM

535 posts, read 1,742,144 times
None of the towns are "very safe" but most are safe enough. Anything in particular you're looking for out of a town? If I had to go to VA a lot I'd stay east of the mountains. For me to get to VA from Asheville I either head up 19/23 to 81, then take 81 up or I take 40 to 77 or 85 and go up.

Old 12-21-2008, 06:54 AM

2,586 posts, read 9,105,356 times
What about Roanoke or Lynchburg in VA? I love those areas, just as I do the Asheville area. If I could pick anywhere on the east coast to live, it would probably be in one of those three areas.

Old 12-21-2008, 06:59 AM

535 posts, read 1,742,144 times
Another idea is to get a good map and drive around. You might find a little town that just blows you away.

Old 12-21-2008, 07:47 AM

451 posts, read 1,565,746 times
Default Thinking of moving west

Boone is a college town with a lot of young folks here that keep us old folks young. You didn't say what you did for a living, so this would be something that would have to be considered. Appalachian University is here as well as medical centers. Samaritans Purse is located here as well, and does a lot of local employment. The area is one of the most beautiful in the country with The Blue Ridge Parkway nearby as well as lots of parks for hiking and outdoor activities. Housing is expensive with a lot of summer people that have 2nd and 3rd homes that go empty in the winter months. We have tourists that come up during the summer and fall and some skiers in the winter. I think it is heaven on earth here but can be a challenge financially. Come for a visit this winter when it is only the college kids and locals. We are having a Winter Festival Jan. 22-25th in Blowing Rock and would be a fun time to come up. There are discounts in the hotels at this time, or you could rent a house.

Old 12-21-2008, 07:59 AM

20 posts, read 70,332 times
I would buy a good road map and take several long week-end trips and look around. You will find many places in WNC that will suit your desires. East Tenn. is a nice area and very similar to WNC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina