Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2007, 04:08 PM

2 posts, read 7,677 times

Advertisements

I currently work in the mid-west as a sp. ed. teacher and have been thinking about moving to Ashville. Any comments on the school districts in the area and the potential for finding a job. How does the cost of living compare to the Chicagoland area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2007, 05:11 PM

1,417 posts, read 6,909,145 times
The economy is good, but limited. It's based mainly on tourism/retirees. With you being a teacher, you might have a better chance of getting a job. The state, in general, can't hire them fast enough. My wife's a middle school science teacher here in the Charlotte area. I'm just not exactly sure how the teacher situation is in Asheville, though.

The city of Asheville itself is a little expensive, but the outlying suburbs are more affordable. How it compares to the Chicago area, I'm not sure. Good luck!!

Old 04-05-2007, 06:50 PM

2 posts, read 7,677 times
Thank you for the information. How does your wife like teaching in Charolette? Some of my friends are trying to talk me into Greensboro or Charolette but I am not very familiar with either area. I have heard that there is a great deal of growth and development which is affecting the cost of living which growing faster than teachers salaries.

Old 04-06-2007, 04:35 AM

1,417 posts, read 6,909,145 times
My wife doesn't actually teach in Charlotte, but in the town where we live (a Charlotte suburb, Concord). It's a great system and she loves it. The cost of living is good. I'm disabled and stay home with our sons, yet we have no problems financially because we've always tried to use our money wisely (even when I worked before my accident). It's allowed us to live a very good life. With her being a teacher and me at home, we have lots of family time together, especially in the summers. So spending habits have a good bit to do with it. PM me if you want any specifics!!

Old 04-06-2007, 06:04 AM

648 posts, read 2,981,137 times
Teacher jobs are available here in Asheville area, but not at the plentiful rate they are in the bigger cities. Many folks moving to Asheville have no kids, so the school systems aren't being stretched like they are in other metros in the state. Northern Henderson county (south of Asheville, near the airport) is seeing the most families move in.

The schools here, in general, are quite good.

Old 04-07-2008, 10:08 AM

2 posts, read 6,955 times
Royal Pines is a lovely area of moderate price range family homes. Royal Pines is a suburb about 7 miles south of Asheville. It has an excellent school system. Asheville is a solid investment, with immense popularity for it's mountain setting, cultural charm with both art, music and theaters.

Old 04-07-2008, 06:22 PM

3 posts, read 32,318 times
I grew up all around Western NC and now live in Chicagoland (Wheaton, then Aurora). The cost of living in Asheville is WAY lower than here. You wouldn't believe it. But, it comes at a price, mainly salaries are much lower. And they've been hit by the slumping economy, too. But Asheville is the best place to live in NC - and easiest to adjust to. Weaverville is a great, family-friendly place to live, and I survived going to school there (North Buncombe High School). Hope that helps some.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina