Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2008, 04:18 AM

7 posts, read 27,230 times

Advertisements

Hello! I am hoping a local can help me!

I would love to know if anyone has any personal input/information about the new River Stone housing addition on Butler Bridge Road? A few of my concerns are:

1. Smells from the dairy farm across the road.
2. Airplanes flying low overhead to land at the Asheville Airport.
3. Possible flooding.

Any other info about the area would be wonderful! Hubby works in Asheville, I love to do volunteer work.

We also have a daughter that will be starting high school this fall. I hear that West Henderson has a great academic program. How are their girl's sports programs, particularly softball? Our *biggest* concern is for her to transition well into a new school.

Thanks so much in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2008, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wncmom68 View Post
Hello! I am hoping a local can help me!

I would love to know if anyone has any personal input/information about the new River Stone housing addition on Butler Bridge Road? A few of my concerns are:

1. Smells from the dairy farm across the road.
2. Airplanes flying low overhead to land at the Asheville Airport.
3. Possible flooding.

Any other info about the area would be wonderful! Hubby works in Asheville, I love to do volunteer work.

We also have a daughter that will be starting high school this fall. I hear that West Henderson has a great academic program. How are their girl's sports programs, particularly softball? Our *biggest* concern is for her to transition well into a new school.

Thanks so much in advance!
No reply yet so I'll add a bit more info to see if someone can help us!...

We currently live in Black Mountain and are thinking about selling our home to down-size since our family is getting smaller. Our home now is a 3-story with 6 bedrooms, 4 bathrooms, and is in a wooded, mountain setting. We would like to downsize to a 1-story with 3-4 bedrooms, 2-2.5 bathrooms, on a very small grassy lot that we can do a bit of landscaping/gardening on.

We like the Mills River/Fletcher area because it reminds us of the farm country we grew up with and housing is much more affordable there. (Same commute distance for hubby, just a different direction!) We are very impressed with the price per square foot of the homes in River Stone and have made several drives down to the area. We like the look of the neighborhood and the size of the homes/lots. It's perfect for the type of down-sizing we are thinking of.

While visiting, we did notice the dairy farm, the airport, and the low lay of the land. That is why I posted the questions about our concerns (1-3 above!).

Since we relocated from out of state directly to Black Mountain, any kind of input on the Mills River/Fletcher area, the River Stone housing addition/area, West Henderson HS, etc. would be greatly appreciated! Thanks again!

Old 04-06-2008, 08:21 PM

1 posts, read 4,562 times
I will try to answer your questions if at all possible. The area you are speaking of may have some concerns you listed. We currently live across the river from there and I would say you would be bothered by smell, airplanes, and perhaps flooding. The property in question was old farmland and for many years before homes were in that area, all of your concerns would certainly have applied. The homes are beautiful in that area so I guess it is a toss up on what exactly you prefer. Just know the area you are considering is where a large shopping center is in the plans to go on the hwy 25 end of Butler Bridge Rd.
No matter what area you move, Mills River, Fletcher, Etowah... you will love it. The people are wonderful and it is beautiful.

As for West Henderson High School, both my children went there, and loved the school. In my opinion, it is the best in the county. Academics and sports are great there. My daughter played sports and my son was in band there. It was a wonderful experience for both of them.

Hope you find what you are looking for.

Last edited by mm34b; 06-24-2008 at 11:07 AM.. Reason: Edited to comply with the Terms of Service - Offer of goods or services.

Old 04-07-2008, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g barbett View Post
I will try to answer your questions if at all possible. The area you are speaking of may have some concerns you listed. We currently live across the river from there and I would say you would be bothered by smell, airplanes, and perhaps flooding. The property in question was old farmland and for many years before homes were in that area, all of your concerns would certainly have applied. The homes are beautiful in that area so I guess it is a toss up on what exactly you prefer. Just know the area you are considering is where a large shopping center is in the plans to go on the hwy 25 end of Butler Bridge Rd.
I have a home in the Etowah area that sounds exactly like what you are describing you want. It has 3 Bedrooms, 2 Baths, bonus room (we used as an office), large open area for living, dining and kitchen, seperate laundry room, double garage, all on one level. This is all located on a beautiful grassy lot surrounded by woods with privacy and across from the Etowah Golf Course.The home is 1830 sq ft, asking price is $229,900. If you are interested at all, reply and I will contact you.
We love the home but are required to reside in a home we caretake where my husband works.
No matter what area you move, Mills River, Fletcher, Etowah... you will love it. The people are wonderful and it is beautiful.

As for West Henderson High School, both my children went there, and loved the school. In my opinion, it is the best in the county. Academics and sports are great there. My daughter played sports and my son was in band there. It was a wonderful experience for both of them.

Hope you find what you are looking for.
Thanks so much for your reply! I wish I knew how much our concerns about the cows/planes/possible flooding would play a role in our enjoyment of the neighborhood. We are used to most all of that from our previous out-of-state residence, and the kids actually say it feels like "home" down there...BUT! I still worry!

I did NOT know about the large shopping center! Could you elaborate a bit more about that for us, please?

Your home sounds wonderful with a great price. My husband, however, has expressed that he does not want to move any farther south than the Fletcher/Mills River area to keep his daily commute time to Asheville at a minimum. I will let you know if we do decide to put our current home on the market and hubby changes his mind.

Again, thank you for all of your input/advice on the area and the high school. Best wishes to you on your sale/move!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina