Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2018, 10:20 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,380,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Unfortunately our tickets are non-refundable. We stand to lose $500 if we don't show. So not going is really not a good option not to mention this is my winter vacation.
Tickets?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2018, 11:00 AM

2,103 posts, read 4,471,308 times
Biltmore will absolutely give you different tickets in a case like this. But you do you. Have fun being stuck and don’t say we didn’t warn you.

Old 12-07-2018, 12:12 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,550,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saucystargazer View Post
Biltmore will absolutely give you different tickets in a case like this. But you do you. Have fun being stuck and don’t say we didn’t warn you.
You are correct. I called them up and due to the storm they changed their policy. I should have said hotel reservations. They gave us a full refund on the non-refundable price and we were able to change our Candle light tour tickets to Wednesday night. Very good customer service there. Their hotels prices had doubled from what we had originally paid but we are gonna stay in town instead. All your warnings had me double thinking our plan. Thanks.

I hope yall enjoy your snow. Nothing but rain here unfortunately.

Old 12-08-2018, 10:21 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,855,774 times
Snow and sleet started here about 8 AM...continuing snow now at at steady clip, about an inch accumulated.

I'm actually hoping for 24 in., never seen that much! Of course no plans to get out and about any time soon...

Old 12-08-2018, 10:45 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,541,770 times
As long as we don't lose power. It can get pretty darned cold in the house quickly. Otherwise I enjoy looking AT the snow, but no way do I want to be IN it.

At the moment, here in Etowah snow is falling but is not sticking to the ground.

Old 12-08-2018, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
As long as we don't lose power. It can get pretty darned cold in the house quickly. Otherwise I enjoy looking AT the snow, but no way do I want to be IN it.

At the moment, here in Etowah snow is falling but is not sticking to the ground.

Do you have gas logs QC? The ones I have put out enough heat when power goes off. Don't know about you but here in the woods power does out 4-5 times a year for snow or ice or thunderstorms or fallen trees...

What are you all doing today? Just made and had some potato soup, watching White Christmas on tv with Bing Crosby and Danny Kaye...never seen it.

Last edited by greatblueheron; 12-08-2018 at 11:13 AM..

Old 12-08-2018, 11:34 AM

3,444 posts, read 2,818,373 times
We just got home from our round trip to Statesville. A much nicer drive today than it was exactly one year ago!

We didn't see any snow until we crossed into Haywood County and then it was very light and wet. Once we started climbing out mountain, we ran into heavier snow and once we hit 4000 feet, it was sticking well to the road. It's snowing steadily and we have about 1/2" at this point.

It was cold in the house when we got home (we set our heat at 64 degrees all winter long) so we have our gas logs going up here and our wall propane heater going in our finished basement. Our propane company made a delivery up on our mountain to all their customers earlier in the week, so we are set, even if we lose power because we have a whole house generator. We just don't have water, but I've already filled the tub and we have bottled water to drink. I do have a gallon of water for the dogs on the counter, it's been there since Matthew was forecasted to come through here. I'll just melt snow for them if we do lose power.

Good luck everyone. This is going to be quite the storm!

Old 12-08-2018, 11:47 AM

643 posts, read 670,257 times
Here is south Hendersonville snow is falling, straight down, no wind, no accumulation and as the ground and roads are relatively warm it'll be a while before that happens. Still, it's pretty looking out over the meadow...

Our son, DIL and granddaughter are here from WA and other son from CO and they are all looking forward to this snow - first for just turned one granddaughter - but they want it cleared enough by Tues when they all fly out! No generator or wood stove but a super insulated house that holds temp extremely well and we live in an area that doesn't seem to have power difficulties so fingers crossed. Well stocked with food, camp stove and fuel, grill and propane, buckets stationed near the toilets.....flashlights all have fresh batteries and we have lots of down quilts. And wine. And beer. And just picked up a bottle of Blanton's yesterday so bring it on!!!

Old 12-08-2018, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlove View Post
We just got home from our round trip to Statesville. A much nicer drive today than it was exactly one year ago!

We didn't see any snow until we crossed into Haywood County and then it was very light and wet. Once we started climbing out mountain, we ran into heavier snow and once we hit 4000 feet, it was sticking well to the road. It's snowing steadily and we have about 1/2" at this point.

It was cold in the house when we got home (we set our heat at 64 degrees all winter long) so we have our gas logs going up here and our wall propane heater going in our finished basement. Our propane company made a delivery up on our mountain to all their customers earlier in the week, so we are set, even if we lose power because we have a whole house generator. We just don't have water, but I've already filled the tub and we have bottled water to drink. I do have a gallon of water for the dogs on the counter, it's been there since Matthew was forecasted to come through here. I'll just melt snow for them if we do lose power.

Good luck everyone. This is going to be quite the storm!

Glad you got home before all the snow.

I have my gas logs going too, on low. That's my only heat source without power but they put out a lot of heat, even back to the bedrooms. Gas co. just here last week...

Started filling the tub then walked out and forgot it. but luckily the overflow caught it, no clean up needed.

Old 12-08-2018, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLM2000 View Post
Here is south Hendersonville snow is falling, straight down, no wind, no accumulation and as the ground and roads are relatively warm it'll be a while before that happens. Still, it's pretty looking out over the meadow...

Our son, DIL and granddaughter are here from WA and other son from CO and they are all looking forward to this snow - first for just turned one granddaughter - but they want it cleared enough by Tues when they all fly out! No generator or wood stove but a super insulated house that holds temp extremely well and we live in an area that doesn't seem to have power difficulties so fingers crossed. Well stocked with food, camp stove and fuel, grill and propane, buckets stationed near the toilets.....flashlights all have fresh batteries and we have lots of down quilts. And wine. And beer. And just picked up a bottle of Blanton's yesterday so bring it on!!!

Yes, you sound ready! Funny... they come here and get snow!

That will be fun for all when the one year old gets to see it for the first time.
My cats went out VERY briefly and headed right back inside. Now they are cosy on their heated throw...

Very pretty pics...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina