Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2019, 10:55 AM

2 posts, read 4,690 times

Advertisements

I am considering a move to Franklin, North Carolina, for my retirement years. On a web page that discussed statistics for the area, it was noted that the percentage of people moving there and then leaving was significantly higher than the state average. From what remote research I have been able to do for the area, it looks like a fairly nice place. I do realize the only way to get a personal feel for a place is to go and rent for a while, but..... Does anybody familiar with Franklin, North Carolina have a feel for why people would move there and then not want to stay? Thanks you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2019, 06:12 PM

6,627 posts, read 4,293,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgazr60 View Post
I am considering a move to Franklin, North Carolina, for my retirement years. On a web page that discussed statistics for the area, it was noted that the percentage of people moving there and then leaving was significantly higher than the state average. From what remote research I have been able to do for the area, it looks like a fairly nice place. I do realize the only way to get a personal feel for a place is to go and rent for a while, but..... Does anybody familiar with Franklin, North Carolina have a feel for why people would move there and then not want to stay? Thanks you.
I suspect it's relative remoteness (about 65 miles from Asheville) has something to do with it. If you need specialized medical care, you're likely going to have to drive to Asheville.

Old 04-20-2019, 06:18 PM

4,788 posts, read 10,605,228 times
OP, Type Franklin into the Search This Forum, upper right hand corner: there are several threads on 'Franklin'.
GL, mD

Old 04-20-2019, 08:21 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,051,088 times
Franklin is a cute town but I agree, it's remote.

Old 04-22-2019, 09:30 AM

2 posts, read 4,690 times
Thanks folks for the answers. I had also wondered if it was the remoteness. Personally, it wouldn't bother me...I worked for the Forest Service for 30 years and have lived happily in places that would make Franklin look downright urban. Thanks again, appreciated!

Old 04-30-2019, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgazr60 View Post
Thanks folks for the answers. I had also wondered if it was the remoteness. Personally, it wouldn't bother me...I worked for the Forest Service for 30 years and have lived happily in places that would make Franklin look downright urban. Thanks again, appreciated!
My biggest concern would be medical services. We need more of this as we age.

Old 05-09-2019, 05:15 AM

215 posts, read 370,768 times
Medical services are a problem in Franklin and seem to be getting worse. A lot of the people leaving are doctors. It's a shame as this had become a destination for retirees. I've also noticed a lot of the half time residents from Florida just aren't coming back anymore.
It is beautiful here and if you are active outdoors you will not be bored. There are a couple of good restaurants, but if you want more of a selection you have to travel to Clayton Ga or Highlands. Neither are that far away, but it gets old traveling that far very often.

Old 02-04-2021, 11:04 AM

7 posts, read 15,212 times
Default Franklin medical

I think they are building a new but small medical center there now. Lots of people moving there for summer homes to get away from heat of the south which should help for more development of restaurants and medical services.

Old 02-04-2021, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magman220 View Post
I think they are building a new but small medical center there now. Lots of people moving there for summer homes to get away from heat of the south which should help for more development of restaurants and medical services.
I would personally not buy a home in an area on the hope for more development (e.g., restaurants and medical services). It may materialize and it may not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina