U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2019, 05:06 PM

15,957 posts, read 33,699,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Saluda would be nice; Tryon more expensive now that the horsey crowd has taken over. If you are looking only for a rustic place on a couple of acres, price-wise it will be hard to find. Why not a condo that you can lock and leave? There are some very nice condos in the Laurel Park area ... but, of course, you won't get acreage. Personally I would not a cabin or small cottage on acreage if it is not going to be occupied year 'round. Have you thought of Waynesville? or between Waynesville and Hendersonville ? The other issue is that prices would very well be higher in 2 years.
Thank you QuilterChick. I guess I have not been clear - I am NOT looking for acreage just a sense of privacy. It could be just a half-acre lot but if it is wooded and NOT in some type of development or traditional neighborhood that will do. Condo is a no for us, my husband is an artist and I am a musician and we will create some sort of studio space in whatever we end up buying (basement, barn, outbuilding, etc..

As for the two -year thing, that is when hubby retires and will receive a chunk of money as part of his retirement package, so that is when we would be able to purchase something. So for now, based on what I am seeing, I am thinking Saluda, Hendersonville or Brevard would be at the top of the list; but as I said I am open. Just preliminary research so I can track the trends.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2019, 05:20 PM

5,548 posts, read 7,219,711 times
I liked Brevard. I visited the day of a Spring parade and was invited to participate in the parade with the local folks. Very friendly. There was a church on every corner with lunch on the ground and all denominations invited me to attend. Just friendly welcoming people. Plus the music center and college, it really appealed to me. The air was cool but damp.

Also I liked West Jefferson in Ash County up near Boone, NC. We were there (again) over their Christmas parade and Santa pulled my grandchildren up onto the decorated fire engine with the local kids to celebrate the parade. There was a tavern with a good bar and restaurant that had live music. Condos were just a short walk away and I could see meeting up at the bar for some good mountain music. The shops were interesting tourist wise. the air was cool and not so damp.

Bottom line, I would like either place and would have also loved to return to where I grew up (Black Mountain) but the $ don't support that. and I have had my fill of older houses that inevitably require work and updating.

I was born in Lake Lure so I know Tryon and Saluda well. Tryon and Lake Lure are seeking to cooperate with each other to accommodate the International Equestrian Center. But I do not care for Tryon and Saluda too much, it is too hot for me. hilly but not mountainy. Piedmont w maybe foothills. The rivers are nice though. But you could get the acreage and privacy however I am not sure the dollars would work for you. But it might.

West Jefferson was high on my list because my son and his family lived in Charlotte at the time and it would be just a short swoop down the mountain to major sports, cultural, and shopping opportunities. Jefferson has a hospital and it isn't all that far to Lenoir and W-S for specialty medical care. Have heard a lot about the art scene in Lenoir as well. But a little too far to colleges in West Jeff and I like taking classes for fun.

I like Banner Elk. The air is cool and if you like skiing and events at the small college, that would be nice. but the $$ at any resort place is out of whack for me.

Sylva had some pluses for me. Duke affiliated hospital. Western Carolina University not far away. But it seemed overly isolated to me. Why drive that far on mountain roads? there seemed to be a lot of chain retail going in so that may not be a problem though. And Amazon delivers. Not sure the houses were all that good for the $ either but you might find something there. Nearby Bryson City is a cute mountain town. Brick with a river against mountains. but that whole area is too tucked away for me.

Franklin gets good press.

Really, if someone had no ties to NC, then North Georgia towns have a lot going for them. check them out.

Hope this helps with some ideas.

Guess it depends upon what you like. good luck

Old 05-16-2019, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
I liked Brevard. I visited the day of a Spring parade and was invited to participate in the parade with the local folks. Very friendly. There was a church on every corner with lunch on the ground and all denominations invited me to attend. Just friendly welcoming people. Plus the music center and college, it really appealed to me. The air was cool but damp.

Also I liked West Jefferson in Ash County up near Boone, NC. We were there (again) over their Christmas parade and Santa pulled my grandchildren up onto the decorated fire engine with the local kids to celebrate the parade. There was a tavern with a good bar and restaurant that had live music. Condos were just a short walk away and I could see meeting up at the bar for some good mountain music. The shops were interesting tourist wise. the air was cool and not so damp.

Bottom line, I would like either place and would have also loved to return to where I grew up (Black Mountain) but the $ don't support that. and I have had my fill of older houses that inevitably require work and updating.

I was born in Lake Lure so I know Tryon and Saluda well. Tryon and Lake Lure are seeking to cooperate with each other to accommodate the International Equestrian Center. But I do not care for Tryon and Saluda too much, it is too hot for me. hilly but not mountainy. Piedmont w maybe foothills. The rivers are nice though. But you could get the acreage and privacy however I am not sure the dollars would work for you. But it might.

West Jefferson was high on my list because my son and his family lived in Charlotte at the time and it would be just a short swoop down the mountain to major sports, cultural, and shopping opportunities. Jefferson has a hospital and it isn't all that far to Lenoir and W-S for specialty medical care. Have heard a lot about the art scene in Lenoir as well. But a little too far to colleges in West Jeff and I like taking classes for fun.

I like Banner Elk. The air is cool and if you like skiing and events at the small college, that would be nice. but the $$ at any resort place is out of whack for me.

Sylva had some pluses for me. Duke affiliated hospital. Western Carolina University not far away. But it seemed overly isolated to me. Why drive that far on mountain roads? there seemed to be a lot of chain retail going in so that may not be a problem though. And Amazon delivers. Not sure the houses were all that good for the $ either but you might find something there. Nearby Bryson City is a cute mountain town. Brick with a river against mountains. but that whole area is too tucked away for me.

Franklin gets good press.

Really, if someone had no ties to NC, then North Georgia towns have a lot going for them. check them out.

Hope this helps with some ideas.

Guess it depends upon what you like. good luck
Thank you ^^^ - just the type info I need. Going to explore Banner Elk some along with the others.

Old 05-16-2019, 06:34 PM

Well, just for the heck of it I was checking out prices in Brevard and OMG!!!! The prices are INSANE! Even crazier than where I live and I live in a very expensive Florida city! And more than Asheville.... why is that? Is it another Aspen, Co or something? Anyway, guess I am going to have to remove this one off my list, just looks way too rich for us just looking at those prices.... Hendersonville looks far more reasonable so far.

Old 05-17-2019, 03:04 PM

I wanted to come back and thank you all for your suggestions. They were all very helpful. I looked on realtor.com (thank you QuilterChick) and I actually found quite a few properties in or near Black Mountain or Weaverville that could possibly work for us that were at or near our price point. These areas were my first choice, and finding several now tells me that more than likely we can find something there when we are ready. Still also considering Hendersonville, but Brevard has been crossed off - way too may $$$$! lol

Old 05-17-2019, 03:38 PM

225 posts, read 123,278 times
Hello GC - FWIW, it took my wife and I about 2 years to find the house/land we liked at the price we wanted. We came to the WNC area quite a few times and at different seasons. The trips were always a mix of fun events and house/land hunting...sometimes more fun events and sometimes more hunting. At first we really needed to learn the area and to know what to look for - and how to interpret the listing descriptions into meaningful attributes on our list.

One thing I really wish the various RE sites would include is elevation as a search/filter attribute - especially in areas where elevation is variable (like WNC, FL not so much). When we found listings we were interested in, I had to swap over to Google Earth to quickly see if the elevation fell within our range.

Best of luck to you in your search!

Old 05-18-2019, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by v10tdi View Post
Hello GC - FWIW, it took my wife and I about 2 years to find the house/land we liked at the price we wanted. We came to the WNC area quite a few times and at different seasons. The trips were always a mix of fun events and house/land hunting...sometimes more fun events and sometimes more hunting. At first we really needed to learn the area and to know what to look for - and how to interpret the listing descriptions into meaningful attributes on our list.

One thing I really wish the various RE sites would include is elevation as a search/filter attribute - especially in areas where elevation is variable (like WNC, FL not so much). When we found listings we were interested in, I had to swap over to Google Earth to quickly see if the elevation fell within our range.

Best of luck to you in your search!
Thanks for sharing! I look forward to the fun and adventure of finding a place! Yes, elevation is important. The house we had in Asheville, was not at a particularly high elevation and it was not that cool in the summer. Black Mountain seems to be higher and cooler plus I just love the area. It's our top choice. Where did you and your wife finally settle?

Old 05-18-2019, 05:18 PM

729 posts, read 581,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Of course since I am not there to see in person, have no idea about the area. So that is what I need help with.
Plug addresses into google maps and click satellite view and you'll be able to zoom in and see what kind of properties neighbor property you're interested in.

Love your optimism.

Old 05-18-2019, 06:33 PM

225 posts, read 123,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
...Where did you and your wife finally settle?
Northeast "shoulder" of Cold Mountain...
Great views of Pisgah, Black Balsams and (of course), Cold Mountain. Our cabin sits at ~3300' elevation - slightly lower than I wanted, but the CEO overruled me. Happy Wife, Happy Life.

Old 05-18-2019, 09:19 PM

54 posts, read 48,497 times
We always thought we would end up in Waynesville. Well, after years of looking, we ended up in Hiawassee, Georgia. We just love it. We still love North Carolina, but we are only 45 minutes away. We love the fact that we have mountains and two fabulous lakes. Very secluded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina