Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2019, 04:20 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! Ten years ago my husband and I bought a second home in Asheville, but sold after three years because it was too difficult to manage two homes and too far away from retirement. It also was not really what I wanted, we "settled" or various reasons. So fast forward to today - my husband will be fully retired in less than two years, and we want to find a somewhat "rustic" type of getaway for the summer (we live in Florida) so I am looking for advice from you all.

For me the lot is more important really than the home. I want the sense of privacy like a wooded lot, I don't necessarily mean acreage, just something that feels private. Since it won't be a full time home, I will be looking for "bang for the buck" cost -wise. I don't have to be in Asheville and in fact don't really WANT to be in the city. The areas I liked back then were Swannoa/Black Mountain and north like Weaverville. So what I want to ask here is, are there other areas I could be keeping an eye on that are say no more than twenty minutes or so into the city, where properties are more reasonable? I am open to any ideas. As I said, a feeling of privacy but don't want to be too far away from stores, etc. Probably $200,000 or less, something kind of "cabin-like" Not buying soon, just want to track area trends, and see what potentially might suit.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2019, 04:46 PM

1,555 posts, read 2,518,860 times
I was to Weaverville today, it’s turning into another Asheville; lots of building going on.
Looking at the RE site, the only property under $200k that I saw in Weaverville was a double wide.

Last edited by bgrasser; 05-14-2019 at 04:58 PM..

Old 05-14-2019, 05:35 PM

4,787 posts, read 10,602,776 times
+1
Budget is a problem, esp in Buncombe County...

Even here in Haywood County, 30 mins west of 'Asheville', $200Gs offers very small/old SFHs.

Not in the RE biz, but hit realtor dot com, plug in your filters and look at the 6 or 7 counties in 'western NC', esp in your budget range.

You might see something of interest or decide you raise your budget a bit.

And, there are many fine towns and areas 'not in Ashevile', but even 'rustic' is not inexpensive these days. Western NC has been 'discovered'.
GL, mD

Old 05-15-2019, 05:33 AM

788 posts, read 783,245 times
The problem with looking now for two years out is that home will probably be sold ! .

Watch what comes up for sale and what sells on Zillow to see if that just gota have place pops up .

Old 05-15-2019, 03:53 PM

1,912 posts, read 3,223,416 times
I've lived in the High Country since 2005. My original intention was a summer home. Check out zill in the areas around Linville Falls, Banner Elk ...I'm very happy here!

Old 05-15-2019, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveLoveLaugh View Post
I've lived in the High Country since 2005. My original intention was a summer home. Check out zill in the areas around Linville Falls, Banner Elk ...I'm very happy here!
Thank you. This is the type advice I am looking for, NOT specific homes. I will check that area out!
Obviously any home I would find now would be sold by then - lol. I am trying to explore areas in WNC that I am not familiar with - I have heard of Hendersonville and Brevard, as I said not really interested in Asheville, I know that's way too expensive. And again, when time comes, not looking for anything fancy just more about the lot itself - I want to experience nature and a little privacy without being too secluded.

Old 05-15-2019, 07:14 PM

730 posts, read 774,574 times
$200K isn't likely to get you privacy or much of a house. Prices have exploded in the 10 years since your last purchase in the area. 10 years ago would have put your purchase during the Great Recession.

Old 05-16-2019, 04:06 AM

788 posts, read 783,245 times
Might depend on the area you live in as prices have not exploded around Yancey county but have increased in our 22 years here !! Never been much of a market in our area for small homes on a acre . There are a few apertments up on mountain air or some small houses rather in need or upgrades or a 1-1 cabin with your budget .

Old 05-16-2019, 03:34 PM

Well, i am trying research on Zillow - my friends are moving up there soon, and looking around Hendersonville in the same budget and they are finding some options. I guess I will need to contact my former realtor to help me out with research, I realize folks here can't possibly know all the different areas in WNC mountains.

Also, I just want to track what's happening, price wise. While of course Asheville appears to keep going up, (just like where I currently live in Florida) some surrounding towns outside may not be, or at least not as much. And since we don't need anything large or fancy I feel confident we can find something. I have seen quite a few things that would fit our needs in our budget online. Of course since I am not there to see in person, have no idea about the area. So that is what I need help with.

Besides the towns I mentioned previously, and the one suggested to me (Banner Elk) I am considering Hendersonville (high priority) Brevard, or possibly Saluda or Tryon. So if anyone can just give me general info about any of those I would appreciate it - don't need specifics on properties, just more about the towns themselves and general area.

Last edited by gypsychic; 05-16-2019 at 03:49 PM..

Old 05-16-2019, 03:54 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,530,348 times
Saluda would be nice; Tryon more expensive now that the horsey crowd has taken over. If you are looking only for a rustic place on a couple of acres, price-wise it will be hard to find. Why not a condo that you can lock and leave? There are some very nice condos in the Laurel Park area ... but, of course, you won't get acreage. Personally I would not a cabin or small cottage on acreage if it is not going to be occupied year 'round. Have you thought of Waynesville? or between Waynesville and Hendersonville ? The other issue is that prices would very well be higher in 2 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina