Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 11:14 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,898,795 times

Advertisements

We are spending the weekend in Black Mountain and would like opinions on the following restaurants:

Berliner Kindl German Restaurant & Deli
121 Broadway
Black Mountain, NC 28711

Black Mountain Bakery
102 Church Street
Black Mountain, NC 28711

Black Mountain Bistro
203 E. State Street
Black Mountain, NC 28711

Highland Grill & Oyster Bar
10 East Market Street, Cheshire
Black Mountain, NC 28711

Camino's South-Western Grille & Cantina
107 Black Mountain Ave.
Black Mountain, NC 28711

Thai Basil Inc
227 West State Street
Black Mountain, NC 28711

We are planning to eat dinner in Black Mountain on Friday, 18 and Saturday 19 but are looking for good breakfast places as well. We have a 13 and 11 year old, oh and a dog!

Appreciate all responses!

Last edited by BagongBuhay; 04-15-2008 at 12:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2008, 06:09 PM

244 posts, read 714,748 times
If you're going to be in Black Mountain on Friday night hit the seafood buffet at the Monte Vista Hotel. My wife and I love the Highland Grill for one upscale dinner during our stays. The Cellar Door is also very good. For more family-style dining try My Fathers Pizza (if you can get in) and Perry's BBQ.

Old 04-17-2008, 07:35 PM

124 posts, read 816,089 times
Depends on what you like......Morning Glory is well known for breakfast. I have heard horrible things about HIghland Oyster Bar. Que Sera is nice, as is Cellar Door. I have alose eaten at the bistro a few times and have always had a great meal. My Fathers is great if you have kids.

Old 04-17-2008, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmccool719 View Post
Depends on what you like......Morning Glory is well known for breakfast. I have heard horrible things about HIghland Oyster Bar. Que Sera is nice, as is Cellar Door. I have alose eaten at the bistro a few times and have always had a great meal. My Fathers is great if you have kids.
Thanks to all for the recs and warnings! The Bistro has been recommended in the Charlotte forum multiple times, but one poster had nice things to say about Highland Oyster Bar. My Father's Pizza seems to be a great hit as well and Morning Glory's pancakes have been specially mentioned.

Old 04-19-2008, 02:36 AM

116 posts, read 446,078 times
Lets see......Our favorites are Morning Glory for breakfast or lunch (the fish taco's are great!), Phil's Barbeque (new but locally owned and delicious), if you want Mexican there is a great hole in the wall place called Ole's Guacamole great food good prices, My Fathers always has good pizza, Cellar Door is very good and a bit more upscale if you like, Black Mountain Bistro is also very good, and another that has not been mentioned but is very good is Veranda for lunch. All others mentioned are good with the exception, I hate to say it, of Camino's. Camino's use to be good but was recently sold and just not very good in our view, but you might like it.
Do try Ole's it is the local favorite and we love it!
Enjoy!
Duke101

Old 04-21-2008, 08:25 AM

Thanks to all...

We had dinner at the Old Coach House (I think that's the name) as we were too tired to deliberate where we wanted to eat. The place did not disappoint for a family oriented restaurant. Had grilled salmon which was fresh and cooked right. My daughter's Greek salad was choked with feta (a good thing!). Our server was attentive, courteous so we were generous with our tip. We'll go back here anytime!

We had breakfast last Saturday at Morning Glory Cafe. Hubby had the pancakes and I had the breakfast burrito. We loved the fresh squeezed OJ in a very cold clay glass! Food and service was excellent, although our breakfast bill almost came close to our dinner bill at the Coach House the night before.

Dinner was at the Bistro...it was a toss-up with the Highland Oyster Bar and Grill but we were a little concerned with the latter not having people over there 30 minutes after opening with only a 5-9 operating window. Since it was our last night, we decided we did not want to take a chance. The Bistro was packed, and food was delicious. I've never had roast duck done so well and without the usual pool of grease common in most Chinese restaurants. Ambience and service was excellent.

Loved the little town of Black Mountain...we barely scratched the surface and are looking to returning sometime soon. We got rained out but that did not stop us from doing our shopping.

Thanks to all for your kind recommendations!

Last edited by BagongBuhay; 04-21-2008 at 08:25 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 04-21-2008, 08:46 AM

8,043 posts, read 10,635,981 times
Is the Red Rocker Inn Bed & Breakfast still there in Black Mountain? They were known for their wonderful, gourmet dinners, and we used to go up there for special occasions. They also have a great breakfast in the morning served up family style. It's pretty pricey, though.

Old 04-22-2008, 09:39 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,870,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montanamom View Post
Is the Red Rocker Inn Bed & Breakfast still there in Black Mountain? They were known for their wonderful, gourmet dinners, and we used to go up there for special occasions. They also have a great breakfast in the morning served up family style. It's pretty pricey, though.
It is as far as I know,we were there in December.
It did change ownership and I think some people didn't like it but we found it as good as with the previous owners...if anything it seemed a little more friendly.

One of the previous owners was a little snarky in our opinion,but she did like to bake lots of desserts(a Pastry Chef by training I believe)

Old 04-24-2008, 11:33 AM

4 posts, read 14,315 times
You need to try Allison's (it used to be Olympic Flame), not only do they have the pizza and pasta options that OF offered, they offer burgers, and other diner type foods. SO good. I know the owner's, and they are AWESOME! Also, My Father's is by far one of the greatest pizza restaurants around... Las Cazuela's is a great Mexican restaurant... Pepper's is great for lunch and sandwiches (they're not open for dinner).... the Bistro is pretty good, and Madison's, a bed and breakfast near ridgecrest is AWESOME, a little pricey, but they make everything from scratch. Our office goes there for our annual Christmas dinners. Hope this helps! I've been living her since the day I was born!

Old 01-27-2010, 07:28 AM

1 posts, read 3,720 times
We recently stayed at Camp Rockmont in Black Mountain. They have several really nice rental houses. Very clean, private, wifi, tons of things to do. 40 acre campus with fishing/swimming lake, tennis courts, gym, volley ball, ball fields, frisbee golf. Check out there giant water slide, zip line. Awesome! And all this 5 min away from downtown Black Mountain and 12 from Asheville. [mod]no recommendations from new members[/mod]

Last edited by RaleighLass; 07-26-2010 at 10:09 AM.. Reason: no rec for new mbmr per tos
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina